Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 12:48 PM

14 posts, read 33,897 times

Advertisements

I possibly could be landing a job at Logan Int'l and need tons and tons of info & knowledge on this. We have a little one and safety for my lil one is big thing for me. I know I won't be able to afford 1500/ month for rent on a 2br so I don't mind a commute to work everyday if it means a little more affordable living. Don't necessarily need to live directly in Boston but don't want to commute 2 hrs everyday. But still something that has possibilities for extra work (myself & wife) things to do etc. Also public transportation would be great if can offer info on traveling to and from the airport? Not sure if it is possible from different locations surrounding Boston. Any extra tips or misc. Info any would like to provide would also be appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 01:50 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,539,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejt0413 View Post
I possibly could be landing a job at Logan Int'l and need tons and tons of info & knowledge on this. We have a little one and safety for my lil one is big thing for me. I know I won't be able to afford 1500/ month for rent on a 2br so I don't mind a commute to work everyday if it means a little more affordable living. Don't necessarily need to live directly in Boston but don't want to commute 2 hrs everyday. But still something that has possibilities for extra work (myself & wife) things to do etc. Also public transportation would be great if can offer info on traveling to and from the airport? Not sure if it is possible from different locations surrounding Boston. Any extra tips or misc. Info any would like to provide would also be appreciated. Thanks

Depends on what your financial situation is. Boston is a very expensive area to live in, and $1500/mo. won't get much for you in that area. The commute INTO Boston from anywhere is always a pain, it will depend on your shift/hours back and forth and where the public transportation is. If you are not familiar with the Boston metro area, you should speak to the folks in the human resources department of your company and other people who work there. Check the local newspapers for apartment/condo rentals etc. Also, when you find an affordable neighborhood, definitely check with the local police department about incidents in the area.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:26 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,912,350 times
More info from you would help narrow the possibilities. What rent can you afford? Is the quality of schools an issue, because your child is school-aged or will be during the time you expect to be living here? To the degree your budget for housing allows you a choice, what kind of area would you prefer to live in if possible (urban, suburban, woods and fields all around or coffe shops right around the corner, etc.)?

I think that in your thread on the general MA forum you asked whether it would be possible to commute to Logan from NH in half an hour. That's not really possible. From the closest towns in NH it would probably be more like 45 minutes in light traffic, and would be quite a bit longer during rush hours.

Here is the link to the transit service's website: MBTA.com > Official Website for Greater Boston's Public Transportation System. Read through this, and you should get an idea which communities have what service. For getting to Logan, you'll want to focus on the silver line underground bus and the blue line subway, though if you end up commuting from outside Boston you'll need to use other lines to reach the blue and silver lines.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
More info from you would help narrow the possibilities. What rent can you afford? Is the quality of schools an issue, because your child is school-aged or will be during the time you expect to be living here? To the degree your budget for housing allows you a choice, what kind of area would you prefer to live in if possible (urban, suburban, woods and fields all around or coffe shops right around the corner, etc.)?

I think that in your thread on the general MA forum you asked whether it would be possible to commute to Logan from NH in half an hour. That's not really possible. From the closest towns in NH it would probably be more like 45 minutes in light traffic, and would be quite a bit longer during rush hours.

Here is the link to the transit service's website: MBTA.com > Official Website for Greater Boston's Public Transportation System. Read through this, and you should get an idea which communities have what service. For getting to Logan, you'll want to focus on the silver line underground bus and the blue line subway, though if you end up commuting from outside Boston you'll need to use other lines to reach the blue and silver lines.
Thanks I ve seen you are quite knowledgeable to the area glad you offered some help. I wouldn't be making much 15/hr so I'm not sure how far that goes over there because where I'm living now that's golden pay. have a 18 mo old so school now isn't that big of deal at the moment. I'm a hardworking guy so another job will have to be in the picture I know that so crossing fingers extra work is easily available over there as well. Don't need to live in the burbs and have everything across the street but also don't want to live in a run down neighborhood as well. Although I would like to live around some type of nature smaller town type feel. Walk round the corner with son ride bike kind of thing run around. If you can offer any areas for me with this extra info that would be great. Also how is the job market there id be looking for a part time and wife would be looking for work and pursuing higher education as well. Any tips on this....o

Old 03-24-2011, 07:10 AM

283 posts, read 989,984 times
Whoa u are asking a lot - I would maybe give up the "nature" thing, if you could find something in the Orient Heights area of East Boston or Beachmont area of Revere - it is pretty safe
http://www.city-data.com/forum/bosto...ston-safe.html
2 and 3 stops respectively on the blue line to the airport, and you would save a ton of money not having to drive - there are parks around for the kid, you are close to the ocean and beaches, good sea breeze in the summer. And with the easy access to the MBTA system getting another job downtown is a short ride. Don't underestimate how much not having to use your car will $save you..

Old 03-24-2011, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Thanks I ve seen you are quite knowledgeable to the area glad you offered some help. I wouldn't be making much 15/hr so I'm not sure how far that goes over there because where I'm living now that's golden pay. have a 18 mo old so school now isn't that big of deal at the moment. I'm a hardworking guy so another job will have to be in the picture I know that so crossing fingers extra work is easily available over there as well. Don't need to live in the burbs and have everything across the street but also don't want to live in a run down neighborhood as well. Although I would like to live around some type of nature smaller town type feel. Walk round the corner with son ride bike kind of thing run around. If you can offer any areas for me with this extra info that would be great. Also how is the job market there id be looking for a part time and wife would be looking for work and pursuing higher education as well. Any tips on this....o
Unfortunately, that type of income in the Boston area is not going to take you far at all. I cannot imagine living near Boston or even with an hour's drive from Boston on $15/hr. It is one of the most expensive areas to live in the country. From your words that where you are now it is "golden pay", if you are now in the south, you would be wise to find another position somewhere more in line with your income; try to get near a larger city in the south. Tennessee could be an option for you. Do you need to work at an airport? How about: Charlotte, Raleigh/Durham, Winston Salem ... all in NC. In SC, the Greenville/Spartanburg airport is expanding, there are plenty of jobs in the Greenville SC area because there are several companies either expanding or moving into the area; and the cost of living is more in line with what you can expect to earn.

In the Boston area, you will be dealt with high electric, gas, oil, rents are high ... everything is high. Taxes are crazy, car insurance is crazy. I don't know how you could possibly make it supporting a family of three. I hope you have some options.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:00 AM

Thank you Dave & Quilter respectively. This is why I'm trying to gather as much info as possible don't want to take this job and be blindsided with everything for that I will stay where I am and look at other options later. I'm just not familiar with how it all works over there I keep seeing the wole car insurance heating gas and electric don't fully comprehend that since we only pay electric and water here. How does that vary with the gas bill thrown in? How far away is orient heights and revere from the airport bcuase if public transportation is accesible idc much to drive car everyday if its not needed. Also do you guy have any knnowledge as to how easy it is to obtain a job over there whether in or out of boston area. Nothing specific but just in general and what do they pay 10s 12s 15s. I've just noticed where I live now pay is nowhere near comparison to there maybe also because. Its not really expensive to live.

Sorry if I'm asking to much but I do appreciate the help you guys are doing good deed offering the info with not much in return. I just want to make the best decision possible for my family. Thank you

Old 03-24-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Thank you Dave & Quilter respectively. This is why I'm trying to gather as much info as possible don't want to take this job and be blindsided with everything for that I will stay where I am and look at other options later. I'm just not familiar with how it all works over there I keep seeing the wole car insurance heating gas and electric don't fully comprehend that since we only pay electric and water here. How does that vary with the gas bill thrown in? How far away is orient heights and revere from the airport bcuase if public transportation is accesible idc much to drive car everyday if its not needed. Also do you guy have any knnowledge as to how easy it is to obtain a job over there whether in or out of boston area. Nothing specific but just in general and what do they pay 10s 12s 15s. I've just noticed where I live now pay is nowhere near comparison to there maybe also because. Its not really expensive to live.

Sorry if I'm asking to much but I do appreciate the help you guys are doing good deed offering the info with not much in return. I just want to make the best decision possible for my family. Thank you
Can you give us a general idea of where you are living now? I am a native of New England, been in western NC for the past 10 years or so. Would never think of living anywhere near Boston on that paycheck. You would be in the poverty level, and would probably qualify for Section 8 housing for a family of 3. If your wife gets even a min. wage job, you will have to pay for daycare and probably need 2 cars. Read all of the posts in the Massachusetts section of City-Data. Even if you made $75K a year, you would be counting every penny. Anything decent to rent will be over $1500 a month. The northeast is difficult on low pay, and trying to get into work at Logan would be a lot of stress every day. Think about getting around in the winters. (heat? my brother has an average size home less than 1 hr. from Boston, 1700 sq. ft. living area. He just told me oil heat for this past year is already at $3,800, and that is with a brand new heating system 2 yrs. ago !)

Old 03-24-2011, 08:16 AM

283 posts, read 989,984 times
Quote:
How far away is orient heights and revere from the airport bcuase if public transportation is accesible idc much to drive car everyday if its not needed.
C'mon now, I know you can be resourceful and find out some of this on yer own..

http://hea-www.harvard.edu/~psr_snr/workshop/gif/mbta.gif (broken link)

Old 03-24-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Can you give us a general idea of where you are living now? I am a native of New England, been in western NC for the past 10 years or so. Would never think of living anywhere near Boston on that paycheck. You would be in the poverty level, and would probably qualify for Section 8 housing for a family of 3. If your wife gets even a min. wage job, you will have to pay for daycare and probably need 2 cars. Read all of the posts in the Massachusetts section of City-Data. Even if you made $75K a year, you would be counting every penny. Anything decent to rent will be over $1500 a month. The northeast is difficult on low pay, and trying to get into work at Logan would be a lot of stress every day. Think about getting around in the winters. (heat? my brother has an average size home less than 1 hr. from Boston, 1700 sq. ft. living area. He just told me oil heat for this past year is already at $3,800, and that is with a brand new heating system 2 yrs. ago !)

Sorry I just noticed the OP is from south FL. Even more important not to go to Boston. The cost of living up there will be traumatic. If you want to take my advice, look into Greenville SC if you need to work at an airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston