Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 11:51 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,910,204 times

Advertisements

You're welcome. Now, take reasonable precautions, and go out and enjoy being a student in "The World's Biggest College Town."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 07:02 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,668,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
Your babbling is totally incomprehensible. Consider a basic course in writing
Don't be so quick to judge! The poster's a budding James Joyce, no doubt

Old 03-28-2011, 04:22 PM

2 posts, read 5,444 times
what is charlestown like?
im going working there this summer

Old 03-28-2011, 11:40 PM

814 posts, read 1,149,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC1981 View Post
As for Mission Hill, you'll probably have some friends that live down that way if you're going to Northeastern. In the 80's it was hell on earth out that way, but now (even though it looks really ratty and sketchy), it's more or less safe because it's become what is known as a "student ghetto" (same with Allston). It looks really run down, but it's safe to go there because most of the population is made up of students. I know there's some parts of Mission Hill that are still pretty bad and have problems with drugs, but I doubt you'll find yourself in those areas and even if you do the cops are pretty vigilant. Mission Hill's bark is a lot worse than its bite nowadays.
I've read through this whole thread and I'm glad someone finally posted something positive about Mission Hill...I went to NEU for a couple of years and lived on Mission Hill for a semester. The term "bark is worse than its bite" is very appropriate. Even around the time I was a freshman (about six years ago), people still looked towards the Hill with some trepidation, but even by the time I lived there, and certainly now (after having been back to visit numerous times), it hasn't quite become a full-fledged student ghetto, but it's got a lot of students living there, mixed in with a good number of "locals." That, IMO, is what made it fun - it was actually a diverse place to live, in one of the most segregated cities I've ever encountered. Shopping in the little neighborhood bodegas, bumming cigarettes from our Portuguese neighbors...it really was a great urban experience, if that's what you're into (and let's face it, you probably shouldn't be going to school in the heart of Boston if that's not what you're into).

And I've felt safe 100% of the time I've spent there. Day or night, in a group or by myself. Obviously, the typical common sense rules apply, be aware of your surroundings, don't act like an idiot or confront people, err on the side of caution by traveling with one or more other people when you can, etc. But, to NEUstudent, the purpose of this post is just to say that don't be afraid to take an opportunity to move onto "the Hill" a year or so down the road - it's still much cheaper than the dorms or anywhere off-campus in the campus area (i.e. Symphony, Hemenway, etc.), and I think it's a great environment. Plus the views are fantastic.

PS - there's a path that starts on Mass Ave. across from the Mass Ave. T station (with the Subway inside) that follows some urban greenways, public garden space, and back streets all the way to Dartmouth St., by the rear entrance of Copley Plaza Mall and the Back Bay T station. It's one of your neighborhood's best-kept secrets, and definitely worth checking out.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:58 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,910,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossie123 View Post
what is charlestown like?
im going working there this summer
Charlestown's fine. Mix of longtime blue collar area and some gentrification. Just use standard city smarts and you should be fine.

Old 03-29-2011, 04:05 PM

226 posts, read 588,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that412 View Post
PS - there's a path that starts on Mass Ave. across from the Mass Ave. T station (with the Subway inside) that follows some urban greenways, public garden space, and back streets all the way to Dartmouth St., by the rear entrance of Copley Plaza Mall and the Back Bay T station. It's one of your neighborhood's best-kept secrets, and definitely worth checking out.
I think this is called the SouthWest Corridor and it extends MUCH further west and south than Mass Ave (although the section you mention is arguably the most picturesque).

Old 03-30-2011, 10:26 AM

814 posts, read 1,149,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstoner View Post
I think this is called the SouthWest Corridor and it extends MUCH further west and south than Mass Ave (although the section you mention is arguably the most picturesque).
I never knew that, but looking at Google Maps, it looks like you're right...although some of the areas it runs through in that direction aren't the greatest, and it looks like good chunks of it are essentially just sidewalks along main streets...but I see it runs all the way to the Arboretum, wish I'd known that when I had access to a bike in the Hub.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:20 AM

Quote:
I never knew that, but looking at Google Maps, it looks like you're right...although some of the areas it runs through in that direction aren't the greatest, and it looks like good chunks of it are essentially just sidewalks along main streets...but I see it runs all the way to the Arboretum, wish I'd known that when I had access to a bike in the Hub.
The entire length is beautfully designed and ALL areas it goes through are just fine, thanks. I live very close to it and use it all the time and I just felt that should be clarified.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:35 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,890,604 times
Quote:
It's dedicated, grade separated bike path along the entire route. It runs from Forest Hills, paralleling the Orange Line all the way to Back Bay station, is mostly beutiful, and makes for a fantastic bike commute if you are coming from Roslindale, West Roxbury, Hyde Park, or JP. Nothing sketchy about the areas it runs through, either.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
It's dedicated, grade separated bike path along the entire route. It runs from Forest Hills, paralleling the Orange Line all the way to Back Bay station, is mostly beutiful, and makes for a fantastic bike commute if you are coming from Roslindale, West Roxbury, Hyde Park, or JP. Nothing sketchy about the areas it runs through, either.
Correction: It runs from Forest Hills, paralleling the Orange Line all the way to Back Bay station, is mostly beutiful, and makes for a fantastic bike commute if you are coming from Roxbury, Roslindale, West Roxbury, Hyde Park, or JP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston