Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 08:02 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,421,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilwood View Post
Here's my rational for Boston traffic being worst in the country:
Boston's traffic is NOTHING!!!!!!! I lived in Boston my whole life (until 2 years ago) and did service work downtown. So I was always driving everywhere. I will add for a long time the warehouse I stocked at (daily) was in Woburn, so not only did I drive around downtown all day but I had to leave the city just to go out to Woburn and then commute in from where I already was!

Now I live in VA, you think Boston has traffic, Boston's a GHOST TOWN next to this place!!!! Try 3 gillion (ya thats right) people trying to get into Northern VA & DC every day from every angle there is. Plus this is on 95 with 5 lanes in each direction plus a DEDICATED 3 lane HOV!!! I'd go back to the Boston driving any day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 06:50 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,972,716 times
Quote:
Here's one you guys haven't brought up: The Washington DC beltway. That place might be 2nd just due to the number of just awful drivers. They must hand out licenses at toll booths there.
I was just thinking that. Boston traffic is nothing compared to DC. The beltway is always a mess, the 270-495 split always has a huge backup (which makes no sense to me since you get more lanes not fewer) and 66 is the only major highway in the US that goes from four lanes to two as you get closer to the city. Talk about a bottle neck. The drivers here are a bit ruder, but most people in DC can't drive in general. The metro there has the same issues as the T when it comes to last call.

Old 06-19-2011, 01:30 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,415,136 times
ESXCUSE ME But i've lived in the Boston area my whole life, 33 years (will be 34 in July) I have no problem driving around, if you learn the shortcuts, and (get the Eastern massachusetts arrow guide book) Like smart drivers do, and don't even bother with GPS (Most GPS's suck anyway) you won't have a problem. That guide book saved me a lot finding short-cuts and such when I was first learning my way around. Now I can get anywhere even in rush hour in a 40 mile radius in under 30-40 min max. (usually around 20 minutes max)
I avoid the highways in rush /peak times and go by shortcuts. :-) Saves a lot of time. I've never had many problems with the "T" Once you learn the system its pretty simple to navigate. At least we have public transit. Go to crazy midwestern cities and all they have are busses.

And the problem with people who move here, is they stay in the general area of their neighborhood, or the city itself, and don't get out and explore the outside areas of the city...- there's a lot of great suburbs to explore. I live in Winchester, which is a very nice community and a great place to live with easy access. There's a lot of parkland and other things to do in the area. A lot of history nearby in Concord-lexington.

Yes, people drive crazy, but they drive crazy everywhere! Go to any major city and it'll be the same.

We have a lot of great parks, museums, cultural attractions, historical attractions. Maybe it is cold in the winter, and there isn't as much to do as in some cities, but overall I think Boston is a decent place to live and raise a family

You just have to learn the city and get used to how things operate here and you'll be fine. I love the New England charm here, and the outdoors here.
I like the four seasons., and the welcoming aspect of Boston. Bostonians tend to welcome people of all cultures, orientations, races, religions. it is a big melting pot, and in Boston you can meet and become friends with people from all over the world.

I would challenge you to dig around and explore places outside the city, as well as in the city, get out there and experience New England, and the fact that we're only 2-4 hours drive away from most of what New England has to offer.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:24 AM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,977,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth98 View Post
I was just thinking that. Boston traffic is nothing compared to DC. The beltway is always a mess, the 270-495 split always has a huge backup (which makes no sense to me since you get more lanes not fewer) and 66 is the only major highway in the US that goes from four lanes to two as you get closer to the city. Talk about a bottle neck. The drivers here are a bit ruder, but most people in DC can't drive in general.
I know all three areas. DC drivers are courteous, proper, respectable, mindful, accurate, efficient, and genteel.

Boston drivers could look squarely at something and manage to hit it rather than avoid it.

NYC.... Brooklyners actually physically wear their horns out. They not only apply them rather than slow down when conditions demand, they apply them at anything and everything even when they have a vacant road to themselves.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:20 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,472,836 times
OP: Fun post - great rant - lotsa fun.

Only thing - This is news? I don't think so. -> Amazon.com: The Boston Driver's Handbook: Wild in the Streets--The Almost Post Big Dig Edition (9780306813269): Ira Gershkoff, Richard Trachtman: Books

Hey - F the T - try stumbling home drunk someday. That's the best part.

Last word:

"Hey buddy, if you don't know how to drive in Boston, TAKE THE T!!!"
(Standard Boston driver welcome greeting)

Old 06-21-2011, 01:20 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,302,340 times
I've also lived in all three areas (Boston, NYC, DC). I don't think there's any comparison. Boston traffic is the most manageable by far. There are certain roads that, at rush hour, will be slow. Usually there's an alternative road moving along just fine. Other than rush hour I don't really have any problems. DC is always sluggish and "genteel" is not a word I'd choose. In New York you'd hit monster jams from which there was no escape at any hour of the day or night. Trying to get out of there on a summer Friday was pure hell.

I don't recall the last time anyone gave me the finger or honked at me in the Boston area. Maybe you're just not so great a driver? And sure, the roads take some learning, but it's not a big city. Most people have it figured out pretty soon.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:09 PM

14,480 posts, read 11,277,582 times
Massachusetts has the lowest traffic fatality rate in the nation and it ranks at the bottom every year. So it's obviously not that bad.

We are not difficult drivers to be around, we just do not have patience with stupid and/or bad drivers. Take that however you wish.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:18 AM

132 posts, read 495,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Massachusetts has the lowest traffic fatality rate in the nation and it ranks at the bottom every year.
Probably because it's hard to get over 50 mph.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:45 AM

132 posts, read 495,846 times
Thanks to a little rain yesterday I sat in traffic for 2 hours to go about 5 miles.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:48 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,472,836 times
Quote:
Thanks to a little rain yesterday I sat in traffic for 2 hours to go about 5 miles.
Perhaps you aren't aware of some services than can help you avoid these jams Gil. I spent 13 years traveling metro-Boston and New England so I know how to avoid jams.

I never hit the road before looking at Google Maps with TRAFFIC enabled. Web or Iphone.

Smartraveler.com offers similar info.

You can dial 511 to get up to the minute traffic conditions on most major highways around BOS.

If you do this, you can for example take rt9 in case the pike is jammed or 1A rather than 1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston