Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2012, 03:57 PM

84 posts, read 206,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday1 View Post
I've lived in San Francisco and don't disagree but it's still far more beautiful than Boston overall. Also lived in Chicago, Seattle, and Washington DC and think those top Boston for beauty as well. Now I visit Boston regularly and am probably moving there soon. Very handsome city. It's all in the eye of the beholder after all, but I definitely don't consider Boston "the most beautiful city" in the United States.
You see? It's all point of view and opinion. I stated mine without equivocation and you came back at me in a confrontational sort of way for some unknown reason. That's why I didn't answer that post of yours.

But this one I'll answer.

To me Boston is "the most beautiful city [of those I've seen including and especially San Francisco] in the United States. I'm quite sure you cannot lay claim to having seen ALL the lovely (or less lovely) cities in these United States. So kindly zip it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 04:02 PM

84 posts, read 206,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackshaw View Post
It is also pretty strong on historic places -- the Old North Church, the Freedom Trail, Lexington and Concord, Walden Pond, Harvard, Bunker Hill, ... . Tourists do come for these.
"Pretty strong"?? It takes the bloody cake. Bostonians are notoriously interested in personal freedoms - a phenomenon which goes back to the days of the (real) "Tea Party" and The Boston Massacre. Punto e basta.

Old 05-12-2012, 05:08 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,453,473 times
As much as I like my hometown of LA (especially pre Rodney King), I wouldn't put it ahead of Chicago for food. lA does not have a single Michelin three star restaurant which is embarassing for a metro of its sizeand stature.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:56 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,529,163 times
While I don't think the OP's statement is really true, well, if it could be, it's mostly since Boston is overshadowed by NYC, on a nationwide scale.
I know a lot of people on the West Coast, who have been to NYC, know only a handful, that have been to Boston.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:03 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,193,788 times
Haven't read through the thread, but I recall a similar post this year on the Chicago forum, as to why Chicago is so overlooked, at least in the OP's mind.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:28 AM

9 posts, read 12,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovethecommunity View Post
Everybody wants to talk about Chicago, New York, or LA.

In my opinion, Boston is just as good. It has a very low crime rate and downtown is beautiful.
Have you been anywhere else? I have to think not. If you ever get the chance to visit a modern American city, it will be immediately obvious why Boston is not on these lists. I suppose a low crime rate and beautiful downtown (both arguable) might be a good start, but Boston is missing out on about 300 years of culture, technology, city planning, cleaning products, fashion, and advances in the science of skin care. The city's anthem, for Christ's sake, is "I love that dirty water." Yuck. If you live here, and you're reading this, please go wash your hands and face right now. And vacuum something.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:10 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,049,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qfkl View Post
Have you been anywhere else? I have to think not. If you ever get the chance to visit a modern American city, it will be immediately obvious why Boston is not on these lists. I suppose a low crime rate and beautiful downtown (both arguable) might be a good start, but Boston is missing out on about 300 years of culture, technology, city planning, cleaning products, fashion, and advances in the science of skin care. The city's anthem, for Christ's sake, is "I love that dirty water." Yuck. If you live here, and you're reading this, please go wash your hands and face right now. And vacuum something.
I was going to come up with some elaborate response along the lines of "I have been to 'great' cities in the US and elsewhere, and Boston is definitely a great city".

But then I finished reading the post, and all I can say is: "that's it!?". If our lack of "cleaning products and skin care" is the only issue the city has, then I'd say we're doing pretty well for ourselves.

And I love the end part too "please go vacuum something". lmao

Old 09-17-2013, 09:20 PM

2,726 posts, read 6,115,039 times
I wasn't aware I was supposed to be using skin care products.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:30 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post

Cliff!!

Me either. There is some aloe in my shaving gel. Whatever.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:27 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,193,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
And we do have a few of those Kiehl's (sp?) boutique shops in the area for overpriced skin and hair products. Does that make us somewhat world class?

Is NYC, and all other American cities, also missing out on 300 years of history and skin care -- or just provincial old Boston?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston