Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2007, 01:46 PM

7 posts, read 14,949 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone:

I will be moving to Boston in the next 2 years and would appreciate any advice given. I am a 38 year-old female, single, and an RN. I will be traveling to Boston in October to look around and start making plans for this move. Here are my current needs:

1. Will first rent and can afford up to $1,500.00 a month. I will most likely work in a hospital in Boston, so what areas should I consider?

2. I do not have a car and don't really want to buy one. Is it feasible to live in Boston without a car? I'm from NYC, so I am used to public transportation.

3. I'm single but looking to meet people, so what are good areas given my age.

4. Do most apartments have elevators or are they walk-ups?

5. Can anyone tell me what the salary is like for an RN with 3 years of experience? It has been difficult trying to get info. from hospitals.

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 02:05 PM

4 posts, read 10,213 times
HI there, You really don't need a car in Boston, but if you ever want to get out of town, you sure do! The T (subway) service drops you off in a walking range of just about everything. It's considering a walking city - you can do the whole thing in a day and I have. I have a car, I use it if to leave the city and to go shopping. The commuter rails is decent for getting out of town as well.

There are many hospitals downtown - all accessible by the T. There are also a few hospitals that are off the T-line, but not to farl Newton Wellesly, etc. You can take the commuter rail to these.

Many of the buildings are older/renovated building and often do not have elvators. If you live in downtown or rent in a new condo complex, your more likely to have an elecator.

I would think that areas that may be good for your lifestyle/age if you want to stay in the city would be Brookline (bus & some parts near the T),The North End (T and walking) , South Boston (Bus and T), parts of cambridge (Bus and T).

Your budget is really going to make the difference 1Brs run from 900-$2K+.

Best of luck!

Old 09-12-2007, 05:36 PM

630 posts, read 2,227,061 times
NYCRN - Apt's can be pricey, I just rented a 2bdr/2bath in Beford for about 2k a month. The 1 bdrs are around 1500 a month. I'm moving in 6 weeks from CA, it's been my understanding that you don't really need a car, but being from CA I will be bringing my truck with me.

Best wishes to you on your move !!

Old 09-12-2007, 06:28 PM

110 posts, read 440,174 times
Cambridge would be another option. There are a couple hospitals - Youville, Mt. Auburn and Cambridge Hospital come to mind. All are near Harvard Sq. You could easily afford a nice apt in Cambridge and walk to work. Cambridge has the young college crowd, but also an older professional crowd. There are lots of bars and restaurants in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston