Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 11:36 AM

32 posts, read 74,231 times

Advertisements

Depends where you are coming from. If it's warm where you are you have some adjusting to do. i'm a lifelong resident.Winter absolutely without any question is HORRIBLE here. Snowbanks EVERYWHERE because there's nowhere for the plows to put all the snow so it goes up against the buildings and houses. I flipped my AWD Infiniti G35X last winter on Interstate 95 because I skidded and went sideways up a snowbank like a skateboard on a curved ramp and went 360 degrees upside down and landed on all four wheels facing 4 lanes of oncoming traffic. It was NOT fun and the car got totalled. Thank God my passenger and I were not hurt but still. This is what I've been dealing with for 46 winters. I love sunshine so much. I get depressed when weeks like right now, it's been doing nothing but raining and temps are in the low 50's. No sun in sight for a week does a number on my cheerfulness factor or lack thereof. I'm considering moving down south. Don't let this reply scare you into not coming. Just know winter really is bad here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 09:37 AM

32 posts, read 74,231 times
I am a lifelong Boston area resident. Grew up in Boston and now live in the burbs but still work in the city. Commuter rail and the MBTA subway are awesome. You cannot ask for better transit options. Food is incredible everywhere you go. My biggest gripe is the winter. Seems to last too long. I love the fall though. Once fall arrives all feels well (until Thanksgiving when I'm reminded that winter is around the corner). I am considering to moving to TX myself after 46 years of Boston. Just want a change. I think rents are expensive here and so are housing prices compared to a bit further south like PA. It's got it bad areas but so do all cities. If you like the 4 seasons and lots of diversity it's a great place.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:30 AM

61 posts, read 201,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpm277 View Post
Hey gang,

My wife and I are moving to Boston this summer and I was pretty excited about it at first. Then... I started reading threads on this board haha. It just seems that nearly every thread is full of people complaining about the weather, the traffic, the cost of living, the inability to make friends, the crime, etc. etc.. It seems like every time I see a poster say "I'm moving to Boston or 'City X'", everyone is like, "Trust me! Move to 'City X!'" - and honestly, it really has me worried and has taken the excitement of the move away from me.

We're moving because I'm going to Gordon-Conwell in South Hamilton. My wife is hoping to attend MCPHS in Boston. We're trying to find an apartment sub $1500 (student loans will be used for rent) somewhere between the two schools. We've been finding private renters on craigslist, but so far, they've all been available too soon. Our biggest obstacle at the moment is our Doberman.
People will complain about anything and everything, and they'll complain with more intensity than someone who thinks positively about a certain this or that.

Liking the city is up to you and you alone. I have many close friends that choose places over Boston and all recommend I go elsewhere. I probably listened to them and translated it into believing myself the same things. But they aren't me, they're completely different people. I realize now just how wrong they were, and how their goals are almost completely different from mine. They're looking for things I am not looking for, etc. It's up to you and you alone I've realized and it's too easy to just go on someone else's opinion.

Personally I've found Boston and MA to be the best place in the country that I've been so far in terms of all around living without sacrificing too much. Wherever you go there will be sacrifices and it's up to you as to whether or not it's worth it.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/bosto...boston-ma.html

Old 05-12-2012, 10:39 AM

61 posts, read 201,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsnmusic View Post
Depends where you are coming from. If it's warm where you are you have some adjusting to do. i'm a lifelong resident.Winter absolutely without any question is HORRIBLE here. Snowbanks EVERYWHERE because there's nowhere for the plows to put all the snow so it goes up against the buildings and houses. I flipped my AWD Infiniti G35X last winter on Interstate 95 because I skidded and went sideways up a snowbank like a skateboard on a curved ramp and went 360 degrees upside down and landed on all four wheels facing 4 lanes of oncoming traffic. It was NOT fun and the car got totalled. Thank God my passenger and I were not hurt but still. This is what I've been dealing with for 46 winters. I love sunshine so much. I get depressed when weeks like right now, it's been doing nothing but raining and temps are in the low 50's. No sun in sight for a week does a number on my cheerfulness factor or lack thereof. I'm considering moving down south. Don't let this reply scare you into not coming. Just know winter really is bad here.
Lifetime resident here also:

Ive found since 10-15 years ago, if anything, the winters are weak here - with exception of the winter before last, which was a 'real' winter (which still really doesn't compare at all to those in NH/VT/ME). We haven't even had real winters lately.

And, if you have snow tires, the winter is fine, I've found. Even without them it's doable, I did that for years until recently. I drive through blizzards all the time in my FWD sedan. And I did it in my RWD sedan too, that one didn't have snow tires.

I find the only time winter is horrible to me is when there's no snow because it is like fall but just way too cold. Which has happened a lot lately due to whatever climate patterns are occurring, and that can be the nature of certain microclimates within MA like the Boston area anyways. The worst is when it's rainy/slushy/sleety, compared to two winters ago - lots of nice fluffy deep snow. That's how winters used to be, strong and snowy, but more or less Boston is always right on the rain/snow/sleet lines just because of where it is, so that's indeed the true nature of winter in Boston.

I guess it all depends how you look at it. I can relate to the winter blues in the area, but at the same time, we usually get, overall, sunny and warm summers, with a ton of 70-90F days, which is nice, too.

Sure, there can be long stretches of rain for a couple weeks in the Spring, or early summer, or in the fall, but it's different than the continual drizzle/clouds/rain of the pacific northwest that last for the entire winter.

I moved to CO and am turning right around. It's too dry, there's barely any green vegetation or ponds, or streams, the sun is blasting every day, and I actually miss the nice balanced weather of New England.

Depends who you are and where you come from, clearly, as others have said!

Old 05-12-2012, 02:42 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,146,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTBorn View Post
Boston is a nice area with a lot of stuff to do. It just isn't for some people, of which I am one. I don't hate Boston or MA and have no horror stories to share, but for me personally it just doesn't feel like home. For others though this could be the greatest place on Earth. I will continue to enjoy my time here while I still live here though.

Exactly the same for me. It's not terrible really, it's just not my kind of place. There are plenty of people who like and dislike Boston, all for different reason; Every city has its pros and cons.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:01 PM

345 posts, read 1,015,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpm277 View Post
Hey gang,

My wife and I are moving to Boston this summer and I was pretty excited about it at first. Then... I started reading threads on this board haha. It just seems that nearly every thread is full of people complaining about the weather, the traffic, the cost of living, the inability to make friends, the crime, etc. etc.. It seems like every time I see a poster say "I'm moving to Boston or 'City X'", everyone is like, "Trust me! Move to 'City X!'" - and honestly, it really has me worried and has taken the excitement of the move away from me.

We're moving because I'm going to Gordon-Conwell in South Hamilton. My wife is hoping to attend MCPHS in Boston. We're trying to find an apartment sub $1500 (student loans will be used for rent) somewhere between the two schools. We've been finding private renters on craigslist, but so far, they've all been available too soon. Our biggest obstacle at the moment is our Doberman.
I've lived here for ten years and wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless you're:

1) Wealthy
2) Young
3) Pregnant and unmarried (You'll get TONS of financial help! Not so otherwise.)
4) Or...as you'll be doing...going to college.

I've lived in other cities east and west coast and Boston is my LEAST favorite city. I find it to be emotionally cold, unfriendly (people are on the "surface" friendly but NOT so trying to get to know them...that is, if you're not young and going to college...) And the cost of a crappy apartment (which is all you'll be able to afford unless you're wealthy) is downright immoral.

I find it to be a VERY yucky place. I wouldn't have ever moved here if my elderly mother hadn't moved here and then been diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease. When she passes away, I'll give away or sell what I don't need, hope on a Greyhound bus (which is all I'll be able to afford after living here...try saving money while living here...) and go to ANY PLACE where people are nice and it's cheaper to live!

Just my humble opinion...

Last edited by ConceivedinKY51; 05-15-2012 at 03:02 PM.. Reason: Messed-up a line of typing

Old 05-18-2012, 10:13 AM

56 posts, read 112,661 times
Hamster you it it right on the head when describing the Northwest winters. At least in Portland area. Some parts of OR get snow. The nice thing about Portland is if you enjoy snow or snows sports Mount Hood is about 85 miles east.

I hate having 2 seasons wet and dry. I want to be living where there are 4 seasons again like I had growing up. I do not mind snow at all but the people here cannot drive in snow at all and if we get more than an inch everything shuts down and schools are closed. I laugh at that. Growing up in western PA we rarely got snow days and even then only when it was blizzard like conditions.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:34 AM

7 posts, read 18,743 times
OK, haven't checked the forum in a long while - been quite busy. Thanks for all the replies/help/info!

As of a few days ago, my wife and I are all moved in to our apartment in Hamilton. We really like it. It's less than 10 minutes to Gordon-Conwell, and my wife has an interview set up for a job about 2 minutes away from our house. We're paying outrageous rent (by our standards anyway), but I guess that's what student loans are for?

We've been trying to get to know the area and have been visiting some of the recommended/touristy sites. We've been to the Boston Common, tried ice cream at Down River Ice Cream, let our dog play in the ocean a little ways down from Lynch Park Beach, etc.

We're getting pretty familiar with Hamilton, Wenham, Beverly, and Danvers. We made a trip to the Wal-Mart in Lynn because they didn't have many items we needed in stock in the Danvers store - we weren't very fond of Lynn... but Hamilton/Wenham, Beverly, and Danvers all seem really nice.

Thanks for all the help, everybody!

Old 06-27-2012, 06:58 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,171,291 times
Lynn, Lynn, city of sin...

Be sure to explore in the other direction, too: Ipswich, Manchester, Rockport... Great places to enjoy the summer weather.

Good to hear that you're getting your bearings! Hope the transition goes smoothly for you.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:08 PM

2 posts, read 3,704 times
Umm...Cambridge and before that Somerville are nightmares for me! I was only in temporary living places in Boston, but people seemed to be minding their own business there more. Just my impression. And I'm originally from Scituate. I was also in Quincy for awhile, but you can get in trouble there (Weymouth too). Should I live in communities that reflect my (low) income, or be in the 'nicer' communities where you can have all kinds of grief from the locals. I still believe I can find a quiet community that also leaves you alone--that's my quest. Wish me luck. Long Time Sufferer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston