Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 09:43 AM

181 posts, read 505,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescent22 View Post
Then you might consider leaving your car in Avon and use it only to drive between the station and your work. I'm supposing car insurance will be a lot cheaper with an Avon address than a Boston one.
I like this idea! Hadn't thought of that. I only plan on using the car for my commute anyway. I prefer walking/taking the T for everything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 09:49 AM

Unfortunately I already wrote the big move-in check on the Beacon Hill place. Haven't heard final confirmation yet, but I probably got it since I was able to confirm employment. So....I am probably stuck, not sure if I can pull out of the deal at this point. Kind of wish I had waited another day. I was nervous about losing out on the place though.

Old 09-29-2012, 10:16 AM

12,820 posts, read 22,003,919 times
If not Avon, there may be somewhere further out of downtown Boston near a transit line that you can leave your car. You could even post an ad on craigslist and negotiate a deal where you park your car in a driveway in Quincy (or nearby) for a small monthly fee. I know that street parking in Jamaica Plain where my apartment was is free and easy to find (though that location isn't ideal for an Avon commute).

I'd consider looking in the vicinity of Red Line stops near the end of the Braintree line. So places near Quincy Adams, Braintree, Quincy Center, Wollaston and even North Quincy. You'll have easy access to your car at almost all times and easy access to I-93. I don't know what street parking is like over there, but you can look into that too. Parking downtown (or close by) is going to be a major expense.

Just my own opinion, but I'd do exactly what you're doing if I moved to Boston for the first time. I'm in my mid 20s and single. I'd have zero interest in living in the suburbs as it really would detract from the overall experience of living in a new place. Sure, your commute will be more difficult than it would be form Quincy. However, you are now employed (no easy task today) and you live in the center of Boston. Consider it motivation to keep your eyes open for jobs closer to home. You can always sell the car if you get a job downtown. Congratulations on the job and apartment and enjoy. You'll be able to make it work.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:06 AM

Thanks. Yes, it is definitely a goal to eventually find work in the city and get rid of the car!

Well, I just called the realtor and I still can back out of this Beacon Hill deal without forfeiting any money. But should I?

Odds are, at this point I won't find another place before I leave tomorrow. But I could stay in an extended stay hotel when I return mid October for work, and spend my non-work hours apartment searching again. I might even have enough time then to do a roommate thing. It's tempting. But at the same time. the hassle of searching for a place to live while I acclimate to a new job...sounds rather tough.

Old 09-29-2012, 12:19 PM

23,539 posts, read 18,678,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncalifornian girl View Post
Thanks. Yes, it is definitely a goal to eventually find work in the city and get rid of the car!

Well, I just called the realtor and I still can back out of this Beacon Hill deal without forfeiting any money. But should I?

Odds are, at this point I won't find another place before I leave tomorrow. But I could stay in an extended stay hotel when I return mid October for work, and spend my non-work hours apartment searching again. I might even have enough time then to do a roommate thing. It's tempting. But at the same time. the hassle of searching for a place to live while I acclimate to a new job...sounds rather tough.
If you can reasonably afford this place maybe just stick with it for now. Is there a lease? An extended stay hotel will cost you a fortune here.

Old 09-29-2012, 12:52 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,999,752 times
Stick with the Beacon Hill place. If taking the train won't work because of the limited schedule, pay for a garage in Beacon Hill- won't cost much more than the monthly commuter rail + Red Line roundtrip + parking at Avon.

Old 09-29-2012, 02:52 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,910,204 times
There's only one reason I'd consider backing out of the Beacon Hill place if I were in your position. That would be if I'd had serious reservations about that apartment going in (for example, if the rent were really a stretch) but I'd taken the apartment anyway out of desperation to find a place. As long as you had no major doubts about the place when you took it, I'd suggest staying where you are. You've already gotten some great suggestions here about how to handle parking. I'd also add that you might want to try first and see how the parking actually turns out to be in or near Beacon Hill. If it's too tight for you, then you can make other arrangements.

As it stands right now, you've really accomplished a lot by landing the job and finding a place to live in only a couple of days. With your current setup you'll be living right in the center of a great city (okay, I'm biased, having lived in the Boston area most of my life, but Boston really does have a lot to recommend it). You'll also be living right in the heart of one of those old-style compact cities where you can get to most of the amenities by walking or taking a quick ride on public transit, which is a great way to experience urban living.

For some reason, people often seem to have doubts just about the time they've settled into something good. I guess it has something to do with wondering whether you can get an even better situation before you really commit to something. That's only natural, and that's probably happening with you now. It sounds as if you've really arranged a good situation for yourself, and you're already thinking ahead and keeping in mind that this situation does not have to be forever. Sounds as if you're nicely set for now, and if there are some snags along the way, you'll be able to work out ways around those. So, unless you had serious doubts about the Beacon Hill place going in, stay where you are for now.

Best of luck, and welcome to Boston!

Old 09-29-2012, 03:24 PM

5,158 posts, read 6,129,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncalifornian girl View Post

Back out and use the extended stay option when you return. Get aquainted with the areas on the weekends and after work. Commuting in and around Boston can kill you. You have plenty of time to make your decisions based on experience and first hand knowledge

Boston is a great city that also comes with tiny streets, limited off site parking and the dancing of the cars before, during and after the snow storms, and by all means never move someones garbage can to park in a shoveled out parking spot.

Congrats and welcome to one the best walking urban cites in America.

Old 09-29-2012, 04:31 PM

I hung around Beacon Hill today and harassed random people on the street, asking them how they deal with the parking. I felt like an idiot doing so, but it was worth it. Everyone was nice, and one guy had great suggestions, he gave me the name of a cheap(er) garage he uses during the worst winter months. He said the rest of the time he manages to find street parking. Of course I have no idea of his schedule, or if he is mega rich (but I don't think so) but it still made me feel better.

That said, I am still considering one more place, same price and tiny size, but on Marlborough in Back Bay. If that place blows me away or seems more convenient, I might switch, but otherwise I am sticking with the Beacon Hill place. I will make it work somehow. I felt happy with the place otherwise--very happy. The parking thing is my only concern.

Overall I'm happy things went as well as this, I feel pretty lucky! Thanks for everyone's help.

Old 09-29-2012, 04:57 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,999,752 times
There's some chance you'll love Marlborough St. It's the single prettiest street to live on in Boston- I am biased on that. It's closer to action in Newbury St., Prudential Center, South End, the Esplanade, etc. It's probably a tad easier to find street parking too in Back Bay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston