Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 01:43 PM

23,549 posts, read 18,700,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
Hmmm, is it possible to walk to downtown Boston from East Boston?
No, either drive (tunnel) or ride (T/water taxi).

I believe Eastie and Southie residents still get a discount on the toll (but with the way this state is going that could have changed).

Fenway/Mission Hill are pushing the 30 min. mark. Southie is very expensive. The cheaper stuff is probably around the D St. area. I would NOT live there. It is worse than ever (talking random stuff).

Personally if I worked in the Financial District on a budget, I would look to live in Quincy, Braintree or Medford. Less crowded and much easier if you have a car. To insure your car in one of those places will likely be half of what you would pay in inner Boston. While in most of Eastie you can find street parking, it can still get messy (and the insurance!). Get some quotes before you settle on anything.

You have to decide whether it's really worth the extra costs and pain of living closer or if it might be worth just sucking it up and riding the T. The Quincy/Braintree Red Line branch is nothing like the Green Line, much more civilized.

And sobo16 made a good point about the ferry. It goes to Hull, Quincy and Hingham which they have monthly passes for. I've taken it a few times, that commute is a dream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 01:49 PM

17 posts, read 30,893 times
To answer the OP's question directly (30min walk to financial district), the *cheapest* is East Boston. Obviously, you have to take the Blue Line so you can't walk all the way, but you can walk part of the way, and you'll actually be in the financial district in UNDER half an hour.

For pure walking, I suggest Southie or the North End. As people have said, Southie is getting more and more expensive. But every now and then I see a North End listing for an old, old studio for $1000-1200 thereabouts, definitely cheaper than anything Back Bay or South End given the proximity to downtown. By the way, walking from the North End to the financial district is a breeze, and also a beautiful walk indeed. But to conclude on another point: Southie would be better for your dog and car than the North End would.

I guess I'm just confused because OP wants several contradictory things. OP wants to walk but are you including winter months??? If so then go to East Boston since it allows you best of both worlds (Blue Line will save you during the snow). OP also wants to walk but has a car??? I just don't understand.

Last edited by jeffreyhayes; 07-11-2013 at 02:00 PM..

Old 07-11-2013, 02:15 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,449,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreyhayes View Post
OP also wants to walk but has a car??? I just don't understand.
Exercise!

Old 07-11-2013, 02:16 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,643,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
No, either drive (tunnel) or ride (T/water taxi).

I believe Eastie and Southie residents still get a discount on the toll (but with the way this state is going that could have changed).

Fenway/Mission Hill are pushing the 30 min. mark. Southie is very expensive. The cheaper stuff is probably around the D St. area. I would NOT live there. It is worse than ever (talking random stuff).

Personally if I worked in the Financial District on a budget, I would look to live in Quincy, Braintree or Medford. Less crowded and much easier if you have a car. To insure your car in one of those places will likely be half of what you would pay in inner Boston. While in most of Eastie you can find street parking, it can still get messy (and the insurance!). Get some quotes before you settle on anything.

You have to decide whether it's really worth the extra costs and pain of living closer or if it might be worth just sucking it up and riding the T. The Quincy/Braintree Red Line branch is nothing like the Green Line, much more civilized.

And sobo16 made a good point about the ferry. It goes to Hull, Quincy and Hingham which they have monthly passes for. I've taken it a few times, that commute is a dream.
Good advice for the OP and any of the rest of us who might be interested in these areas in the future.

Old 07-11-2013, 02:46 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,190,341 times
Craigslist has had basic studios in recent years on Cortes St. near/in Bay Village. Overlooks the Pike and orange line and commuter rail if you enjoy noise. Also under a flight takeoff path.

St. Botolph St. is very nice. Lived in a studio there for five years back in 1985 when affordable. As of 2 years ago, CL would have a basic studio for around $1100. Great area.

Do a word search on CL for these.

The East Fens around St. Stephens, Gsinsborough, Hemenway, Burbank and Symphony is expensive now but could be doable.

Quincy, definitely! Can't walk, though! More young professionals moving in, but most people are working class and midde class overall. Lots of Chinese and now some from India.

Talked to someone this week paying $1670 for a 1 BR in the West Fens in an old building. No AC or parking.

Chicago is so more affordable for studios. Are they laughing at us?

Last edited by bostonguy1960; 07-11-2013 at 02:48 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 07-11-2013, 03:44 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,344,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Why can't you guys just answer the OPs question, instead of telling him to take the T when he said he doesn't want to?

I got on google maps and mentally drew a 2-mile circle around the financial district. Cheapest areas will be Charlestown and South Boston, although you might luck into an affordable dump in the South End or Bay Village. In theory you could even walk from a few areas of Cambridge, but those areas won't be cheap. Eastie would be good but it's not walkable, so take it off the list.

Any affordable dumps in the North End?
OP is a woman. Also, within a two mile radius, East Boston IS the cheapest place, just not practical. Honestly, I think the OP would be better off either dealing with the T or live with a roommate. IIRC and no offense meant, I think the OP sometimes dreams of a champagne life on a beer budget, so to speak. I'm not 100% sure the OP can find something that fits her wants and possible budget.

Old 07-11-2013, 03:52 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,344,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post

Chicago is so more affordable for studios. Are they laughing at us?
Nope, not really. A lot of those super affordable studios are far from the Loop or are in dingy buildings. Still, if you're looking to spend <$700 for a studio, you do have options. I'd be SCARED to even step into a <$700 studio in the Boston area!

Old 07-11-2013, 03:53 PM

23,549 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
Also, within a two mile radius, East Boston IS the cheapest place, just not practical.
I wouldn't say that (the unpractical part). Maybe it's TOO practical for some.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:08 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,643,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Exercise!
and to save money on T-passes, gas and parking (but not shoes).

Old 07-11-2013, 08:33 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,435,938 times
Quote:
OP is a woman.
How do you know this? Nothing in the OPs one posting gave away their gender. Did you read through other postings made by her? Following her from other threads?

Sent from my SPH-M950 using Tapatalk 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston