Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 04:53 PM

2 posts, read 3,775 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to Boston and will be working in the downtown area. I'm a young professional looking to rent a place easily accessible to the T. I'm currently looking at the North End, Charlestown, Southie, Somerville, and Brookline neighborhoods. Any suggestions on good areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2014, 05:39 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,651,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzychik View Post
I am relocating to Boston and will be working in the downtown area. I'm a young professional looking to rent a place easily accessible to the T. I'm currently looking at the North End, Charlestown, Southie, Somerville, and Brookline neighborhoods. Any suggestions on good areas?
all are good if you can afford them

Old 06-21-2014, 09:52 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,175,427 times
Do you have any budget limitations? Anything else you're looking for in a neighborhood?

Most of Southie relies on buses rather than the T; plus, the areas around Broadway and particularly Andrew stations are the less desirable parts of the neighborhood. Southie is quiet and has access to the ocean/beaches, but it's not exactly the most exciting neighborhood for a young professional, IMO.

Charlestown is beautiful, but, like Southie, some parts of the neighborhood can feel a little isolated. If you're close to the Community College stop then you'll have great T access. Parts of the neighborhood are also walkable to the North End. You'll have to evaluate the location of each apartment. Again, I love Charlestown but I don't think it's exactly a hotbed of excitement for a young person.

The North End is really in the heart of all the action. Your money won't get you a lot of space here, of course.

Where are you looking in Somerville? Currently, there is only one T stop in the city (Davis Square - Red Line), with another on the eastern edge of the city (Sullivan Square - Orange Line). More stations will be built as the Green Line extension starts wrapping up in 3-5 years, but for the moment most of the city relies on bus routes. Davis Square is a fantastic choice for a young professional. East Somerville is less desirable.

Coolidge Corner in Brookline is also a great neighborhood for young professionals.

I didn't see Cambridge on your list, but I would definitely look into the Central Square, Harvard Square, and Porter Square neighborhoods along the Red Line. These are all hotspots for young professionals.

If money isn't an object, then Beacon Hill, Back Bay, and the South End are all worth looking into. They are probably the most aesthetically beautiful neighborhoods in the city, and pretty much in the heart of everything. If you're looking for more breathing room and space for your money, look into Jamaica Plain, ideally between the Orange Line and Centre St. If money actually is a major concern, then check out East Boston, specifically Jeffries Point or the areas around the Maverick and Airport stops - this is an up-and-coming area that is attracting more young professionals due to the easy access to downtown Boston via the Blue Line.

Old 06-22-2014, 12:23 AM

2,726 posts, read 6,116,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verseau View Post
Most of Southie relies on buses rather than the T; plus, the areas around Broadway and particularly Andrew stations are the less desirable parts of the neighborhood. Southie is quiet and has access to the ocean/beaches, but it's not exactly the most exciting neighborhood for a young professional, IMO.
Actually the area around the Broadway T has become the most desirable, and as a result most expensive, part of Southie. Rents at 11 and 50 W Broadway are high 2ks and mid 3ks for 1 and 2 bedrooms. Studios in the new West Square are starting at $2,200. There's even a 14 story, 156 room boutique hotel w/roofdeck pool and lounge planned for the lot next to The Cornerstone.

Andrew Sq is still Andrew Sq.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:45 AM

974 posts, read 1,900,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
Actually the area around the Broadway T has become the most desirable, and as a result most expensive, part of Southie. Rents at 11 and 50 W Broadway are high 2ks and mid 3ks for 1 and 2 bedrooms. Studios in the new West Square are starting at $2,200. There's even a 14 story, 156 room boutique hotel w/roofdeck pool and lounge planned for the lot next to The Cornerstone.

Andrew Sq is still Andrew Sq.
Ditto. Southie and adjacent Fort Point is the new South End. More new high end units and restaurants.

Fenway is also another good choice when budget is not an issue.

Old 06-22-2014, 08:47 AM

1,949 posts, read 4,424,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzychik View Post
Out of that list I'd say Brookline, all of those places are overpriced but that's where I'd live if I were to pick one. Also, not sure that it matters to you (does to some people for some reason) but Brookline isn't a Boston neighborhood, it's an independent town.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:03 PM

145 posts, read 283,183 times
Money aside, I would aim for: Downtown, West End, Back Bay, Bay Village, Beacon Hill, South End, Southie (South Boston right across the footbridge from Downtown), maybe Chinatown, maybe Theater District, North End, Haymarket/Government Center, Cambridge, and Somerville.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:18 AM

157 posts, read 229,123 times
I have to ask, why does Jamaica Plain get so few votes? Not that I've ever been there, but from my extensive research over the past month or two, it seems very attractive, especially for transplants who want amenities at their fingertips.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:24 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapeaz View Post
I have to ask, why does Jamaica Plain get so few votes? Not that I've ever been there, but from my extensive research over the past month or two, it seems very attractive, especially for transplants who want amenities at their fingertips.

Ok, I have nothing against JP, but something you have to get about the Boston area.

There is the JP/Roslindale side, and the Cambridge/Somerville side (and associated suburbs).

Rarely shall the twain meet.

There are lots of similarities, but very different circles.

I lived in Somerville for, oh, 10 years or so in my 30s and dated a ton, went to see bands (I was very involved in the music scene), hung out with loads of people, worked in Cambridge and Boston, and rarely went to JP. Just getting there and back is a pain, either driving or on the T. Dating someone over there was all but a dealbreaker.

There were parallel people in JP doing the same things, doing awesome bands, great art, being cool, etc... but it was over there, like another world.

I might be exaggerating a little, but from what I saw with me and my friends, not much.

I just think on here there are more people familiar with the Cambridge/Somerville/Western Suburbs scene than the JP scene. That's all. It's cool there, just not MY scene, if you feel me.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:10 AM

157 posts, read 229,123 times
I think I know exactly what you mean and realize how that can be considering the lack of connection (geographically and T-wise) between the two areas. One of the drawbacks I've definitely noticed as I find myself attracted to JP is that Cambridge/Somerville will certainly not be my stomping grounds, even on the weekends. What I'm guessing is that when you have JP, JP/Boston proper is your neighborhood, whereas over in the other neck of the woods, you get Cambridge, Somerville, Medford, Arlington, etc. This is all why I feel I'm feeling the increasing importance of visiting before getting too excited about one area or the other, although it's likely I have a bad taste in my mouth from my exposure to the night life in Harvard Square the couple of nights I spent there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston