Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 09:52 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,701,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
So you're saying that that despite a number of substantive reasons, anyone one of which perhaps would explain the situation, we still have to wonder why?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
At least one person gets it!
Hmmm... hard reality or easy scapegoating... which is best?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 02:11 PM

676 posts, read 960,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
I visited the NYC Transit Museum a few years ago
That's one of my favorite museums! So underrated.

I think a lot of you are forgetting the crappy political environment the MBTA has to work in. It is not well-funded. It's sad that federal dollars can't go towards service improvements, but alas, that's not how the USDOT operates.

And for whoever is wondering, Magoun Square to Porter and Union Square to Lechemere is roughly the same distance. However, Union Square to Lechemere is a MUCH WORSE walking environment than Magoun to Porter is...so...

Old 09-11-2015, 11:32 AM

93 posts, read 264,993 times
My understanding is that part of the reason that the project is turning out to be so expensive is that it requires an insane amount of track/bridge building. While the Green Line extension will use an existing rail corridor, the project would entail shifting the current commuter rail tracks over, and then building new tracks for the Green Line. So what at face value seems like using an exiting rail line actually means tearing out existing tracks and then building four new ones (maybe three if the commuter rail can single-track in places?). All of this also means rebuilding every single bridge along the line.

I saw a proposal on this blog: Green Line Revisited: 4 - Orange Line: West Medford Branch which suggested using orange line trains, running on the existing tracks, to cover the proposed Medford-Somerville route (while rerouting some Lowell line commuter trains). According to the author, it would avoid the need for total track/bridge reconstruction, cost less, and provide better service. It's an interesting idea, although I'm not sure if anyone's seriously considered it/how feasible it would be.

If the full GLX is off the table, though, I think they should still do at least the Union Square extension.

Old 09-11-2015, 11:43 AM

9,874 posts, read 7,200,396 times
I believe that the commuter rail and orange line trains sharing the same track would lead to a logistical nightmare. Each orange line station would require a bypass for the commuter rail so it wouldn't be held up by the subway stops.

Old 09-11-2015, 12:12 PM

93 posts, read 264,993 times
I think the proposal was to shift the inner part of the Lowell commuter line to the existing Haverhill commuter tracks up in Woburn, so that the West Medford orange line branch would have the tracks to itself. The only former commuter rail stations that would lose service would be Winchester and Wedgmere, but they could always be included in the orange line extension too.

Many logistical complications, but the author makes a good point that currently the MBTA is allocating much more urban rail capacity to serving a small number of commuter rail passengers commuters vs. being able to use the same tracks to serve many more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston