Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 11:21 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,321,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
People with that level of income who live close enough to the area probably have more than several connections in the city to ask. I know I would ask my own personal connections about a place over City Data. Just me though.
This ^^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 11:23 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,036,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Why is it weird? Someone moving to Boston who's not familiar with the area has come here to ask for insights and advice. It happens on this site quite a bit. What does it matter what their budget is?
Agreed. Frankly, I think it's more strange when people post they are moving here in 6 weeks, and need a two bedroom/two bath apartment with parking and in-unit laundry within a 20 minute commute of the Back Bay for $1000.

Old 10-04-2017, 11:27 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,792,540 times
I think OP should give $1k to everyone who contributed to this thread.

Old 10-04-2017, 11:31 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,442,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Agreed. Frankly, I think it's more strange when people post they are moving here in 6 weeks, and need a two bedroom/two bath apartment with parking and in-unit laundry within a 20 minute commute of the Back Bay for $1000.
Frankly that's more understandable given that most of the country isn't nearly as expensive as here, so these people may simply not be aware.

Old 10-04-2017, 11:32 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,442,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Agreed. Nothing is free, OP needs to pay up!!

Old 10-04-2017, 01:44 PM

9,875 posts, read 7,204,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Whoa there, I didn't know there was a finder's fee in play. With that information, I'll give my recommendation:

OP - at your budget, you can live just about anywhere in the city you want. You might not get a penthouse at Millennium Tower but you'll find something nice, with parking, a doorman, concierge, and room service without a problem. Look on Comm. Ave or Downtown Crossing.

Old 10-04-2017, 04:01 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,321,722 times
I guess it seems like only average joes need to worry about where to live and not the people who have 9k a month to spend. Something just feels like these folks should be able to figure it out with other resources aside from strangers on citydata.

Old 10-06-2017, 10:59 AM

596 posts, read 818,286 times
So we either tell people they can't afford it or we tell people they have too much money for strangers' advice? What's the sweet spot then? Who can both afford to live here and deserve our recommendations?

Old 10-06-2017, 11:38 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,948,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaeger07 View Post
So we either tell people they can't afford it or we tell people they have too much money for strangers' advice? What's the sweet spot then? Who can both afford to live here and deserve our recommendations?

No one, apparently. The mainstream posters on this board tell everyone you don't earn enough to live here, or you earn so much, why would you live here when you could live better somewhere else? There is no middle spot to these people, as Boston is horrible, overpriced, provincial, too liberal, to smug, too crowded, and has crappy weather.

Funny how so many people love it, however.

Old 10-06-2017, 11:43 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,695,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
No one, apparently. The mainstream posters on this board tell everyone you don't earn enough to live here, or you earn so much, why would you live here when you could live better somewhere else? There is no middle spot to these people, as Boston is horrible, overpriced, provincial, too liberal, to smug, too crowded, and has crappy weather.

Funny how so many people love it, however.
There's a small sliver of people for whom Boston is perfect in every way. The vast majority of the people who live here are probably struggling in ways that may or may not be apparent on the surface. I think if you fit in that small sliver of people for whom Boston is perfect it's easy to criticize people who feel it's not.

Boston has been relatively good to me but I'm not sure I'd move here today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston