Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 06:09 AM

11 posts, read 18,799 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am moving to the Boston area soon (late December/early January) and hoping to find some guidance on what neighborhoods to look at. A little background - I am 26, single female with a dog. Moving from DC, but I have only been here three years after growing up in southern NH so I am familiar with Boston in a middle school field trip sort of way, and don’t need the typical warnings about the weather. I actually did live in Charlestown for four years, but that was ages 0-4, so I have few memories of it and I imagine it has changed a lot anyways. I have no need to be near nightlife or anything like that, so close proximity to things like bars is not a priority. I’d rather not be smack in the middle of a ‘recent grad’ type neighborhood but if it fits all my other requirements that would be fine. I will be working right around Kendall Square in Cambridge.

Things I am looking for, in approximately decreasing order of importance:

* dog friendly (she is 45 pounds and I may get another one so this is critical)
* 1 bedroom (not a studio) (no getting roommates, that’s not negotiable - but totally open to a multi family house that shares an entrance or something like that)
* Max budget is $2000/month for everything (rent + power/water + internet - at least ideally, but I could do up to $2k in rent alone)
* Either includes a parking space or is ~reasonably~ easy to find street parking nearby
* 30 minute or less commute to Kendall Square, can be T/bus/driving/walking/any combination of those
* I’d love to be in a one bedroom that’s part of a multi family place that has access to a yard or something like that
* Close to either running paths or sidewalks that are safe for a small female + dog to run
* Close to anywhere to spend time outside (park, waterfront, whatever)
* Close to a dog park
* quietish street would be ideal
* Washer/dryer in unit or in building

Any advice on where to look is appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 06:50 AM

11,061 posts, read 12,456,973 times
Well, I live in Brighton Center, 2 blocks from the 64 bus which goes directly to Kendall. It probably takes about 30 minutes as long as you don't leave smack dab in the middle of rush hour. This area (between 90, Washington and Market if you look on a map) is not very collegey. There are a good mix of families, young professionals, maybe some grad students. You might be able to find a 1 bedroom under 2k, though I'm not really sure. I live here for 600 with roommates. I can't imagine being willing to pay 2k per month for basically the same thing I get now.

Anyway, I'm not sure you're going to find anything that meets all this criteria. The new buildings in my area are all over 2k for a studio. However, at my house, we do have a garden level 1 bedroom apartment which is definitely under 2k. It has laundry and all that. It's a very rare find though. Oh and it's a tad on the crappy side. So there may be some things like that out there, but don't look at new buildings.

Old 11-17-2017, 07:11 AM

@bjimmy24 thanks for your reply! I have no expectations that I'll get everything on the list - that's why I listed it in the order of what's more important to me, so I'm trying to focus on the top few things but the more I can hit, the better. Also, I should mention I don't really want to live in a newer building/high rise type place, I'd rather be in something with a more homey feel. I'll take a look at the area you mentioned. Thanks!

Old 11-17-2017, 09:43 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,405,307 times
Not constructive and just stating the obvious as a fellow dog owner, but the dog requirement is going to severely limit your options. It has always been difficult to find pet friendly rentals and with the extremely hot rental market fewer landlords will bother with it every day. It was honestly one of my primary motivations to buy my own place when I originally did. I would just search for pet friendly and reconsider the rest of your criteria from there.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:51 AM

@porterhouse yeah I have heard that before, dog friendly is obviously my #1 requirement as that's non-negotiable. I'm hoping to buy a place in about 1.5 years so eventually I can avoid that problem! But I need to rent for a little while first. Any suggestions on how to find dog friendly places? So far I've mainly been exploring craigslist with the 'dogs ok' filter checked.

Old 11-17-2017, 10:02 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,405,307 times
Craigslist is probably your best bet. You also might want to post a wanted ad for housing on craigslist describing your situation and yourself as a responsible dog owner. Do you have references from other landlords? This can help as well. You may find a dog owner occupied multi family situation. It's not an efficient use of your time, but you can find places you like even if they say no pets and send messages stating your qualifications, offering double security and begging the rental agents, landlords. The hit rate will be low on this, but all it takes is one.

I know it's far from ideal, but would your family in SNH take the dog until you are ready to buy?

Old 11-17-2017, 10:20 AM

9,883 posts, read 7,217,312 times
Metro Wilmington ticks just about all your boxes:

* dog friendly (she is 45 pounds and I may get another one so this is critical) - there is a $50/month surcharge

* 1 bedroom (not a studio) (no getting roommates, that’s not negotiable - but totally open to a multi family house that shares an entrance or something like that) - they have that available

* Max budget is $2000/month for everything (rent + power/water + internet - at least ideally, but I could do up to $2k in rent alone) - $1890 per month for rent

* Either includes a parking space or is ~reasonably~ easy to find street parking nearby - parking on site

* 30 minute or less commute to Kendall Square, can be T/bus/driving/walking/any combination of those - nope, commuter rail is a 5 minute walk and you could drive but either will be close to an hour.

* I’d love to be in a one bedroom that’s part of a multi family place that has access to a yard or something like that - it's a newer "luxury" development but they have a little dog area on site

* Close to either running paths or sidewalks that are safe for a small female + dog to run - there are sidewalks to run on and suburban streets close by

* Close to anywhere to spend time outside (park, waterfront, whatever) - there are parks but it's really suburbia

* Close to a dog park - two dog parks within a 10 minute drive

* quietish street would be ideal - nope, it's on the corner of Rt 62 and Rt 38

* Washer/dryer in unit or in building - in unit

Old 11-17-2017, 11:29 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,923,142 times
Vote is for Somerville $$$/Brookline $$$$/Charlestown $$$$/South Medford$$ to maintain a bit of 'normalcy' as a 26 year old.

Wilmington, as noted above, isn't a bad recommendation but it's a sleepy little commuter suburb. If you want to be able to walk to conveniences - coffee shops, bars, restaraunts, grocery store- yet still check most of the boxes on your list, I'd stay around the suburbs that immediately touch Boston.

Somerville will offer a few 1bd options at $2000 that provide a yard or park within walking distance. Much like Brookline, Somerville provides a city sticker for street parking, and as a former resident of Porter Square/Spring Hill, I never had an issue. Because Somerville borders Cambridge, that commute will be a breeze. The city is a big draw for a lot of 22-35 year olds, offers predominantly split level or tri-level housing with yards, and therefore gets my vote given your criteria.

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/ab...389259163.html
https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/fe...387411566.html

FYI- If you can swallow living in a tiny studio, Cambridge would obviously be the best option IF you can find something below $2k. Amazing food, transit, and walkability, and the Charles waterfront is great for outdoor activity.

Old 11-17-2017, 12:41 PM

@porterhouse thanks for the additional suggestions! Doggo is definitely staying with me, so I'll figure something out!

@robr2 I will check that place out, thanks!

@mwj119 thank you for the info, that makes me a little more confident! I am coming from Boston native parents who balk at the idea of my living in their 1970's version of "Slummerville", but everything I know and read about it sounds like it would be a great option. I don't know much about Brookline so I'll check that out too. Thanks!

Old 11-17-2017, 04:02 PM

1,393 posts, read 861,744 times
Agree with Brookline. Would also check out south end although not single family very young professional oriented. Also. Porter square Cambridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston