Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 11:30 PM

17,794 posts, read 9,240,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciara32 View Post
I realize $1,500 is a rather low amount for a rental with dogs but after some research has shown it might be doable. I don't think I would enjoy being around young college students per say but I am pretty extroverted so having roommates might be ideal if they are willing to take me and the dogs haha.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
In your price range, your options are going to be somewhat limited. My advice is to not rule out living in an area with lots of students. Why? Because these are safe & fun areas with plenty of things to do, many food options, etc. And, more importantly, the alternative in your price range is probably going to be places where you won't be comfortable living. Being around college students is way better than being around gangs and drug dealers.

If you go with a roommate or 2, you can choose almost anywhere you want to live (assuming the dogs are allowed).
OP, read this thread: http://www.city-data.com/forum/bosto...t-roxbury.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2018, 08:14 PM

974 posts, read 1,901,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russbosma View Post
I don't live in the city of Boston but do live within 4 miles of downtown and we pay $1600 for a big two bedrm apt, basically half a huge house. And the neighborhood is fine. Never had a problem in 2 years here. Unlike many cities, the Boston city limits are not the same as the urban area. Cambridge, Somerville, Everett, Malden, and Chelsea are all urban.
Right. And I do live in the city PROPER —not 4 miles from downtown— and have lived here —in the city PROPER— with a large dog 80lb dog.

Sometimes people who don’t live in the city shouldn’t comment on city living. Four miles is a world of difference.

Old 10-08-2018, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I know at least a dozen people that live in Boston/Cambridge/Somerville/Medford/Arlington that have a place on their own for that or less.
Are they new to the area or have they lived in Boston for years? And ya—throwing Medford and Arlington into a Boston real estate post is not the same. You know it, too.

I know for a *fact* you cannot get a 1 BR for $1500 with 2 dogs in the South End, Bay Village, Back Bay, Fenway, Jamaica Plain because I was looking for 1 BRs/ 1 dog 8 years ago and couldn’t find anything.

That leaves Mission Hill, Roslindale, Hyde Park, Mattapan, Dot, Southie, West Roxbury and Roxbury for the OP to try.

Old 10-08-2018, 08:33 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,933,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowbe202 View Post
Right. And I do live in the city PROPER —not 4 miles from downtown— and have lived here —in the city PROPER— with a large dog 80lb dog.

Sometimes people who don’t live in the city shouldn’t comment on city living. Four miles is a world of difference.
I’m not sure what you’re trying to say here. West Roxbury is part of the City of Boston but is less urban than Somerville or Cambridge which are not. The density in Boston roughly falls with distance from downtown, it just so happens that downtown is really close to one side of the city limits.

Old 10-08-2018, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
I’m not sure what you’re trying to say here. West Roxbury is part of the City of Boston but is less urban than Somerville or Cambridge which are not. The density in Boston roughly falls with distance from downtown, it just so happens that downtown is really close to one side of the city limits.
Pretty simple — folks are quoting their not-Boston-apartments as comparable to Boston apartment prices. All the neighborhoods I listed above are BOSTON neighborhoods. Not Medford. Not Arlington. Not Revere. Forgot Eastie and Charlestown in my list of 1BR/2 dog for $1500 Boston neighborhoods.

Old 10-08-2018, 09:34 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,933,984 times
Quote:
Pretty simple — folks are quoting their not-Boston-apartments as comparable to Boston apartment prices. All the neighborhoods I listed above are BOSTON neighborhoods. Not Medford. Not Arlington. Not Revere. Forgot Eastie and Charlestown in my list of 1BR/2 dog for $1500 Boston neighborhoods.
They absolutely are comparable. Especially to someone coming from Witchita. That’s the point. Unless you have residency requirements, there’s no need to confine your search to the city limits.

Old 10-08-2018, 11:30 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,238,001 times
Quote:
Who cares about city limits? The entire city of Cambridge is denser and more easily accessible to downtown then roslindale, Hyde Park, west Roxbury, Mattapan, and other Boston neighborhoods. To someone from the outside it's basically Boston. Ditto with Somerville, Malden, Medford, Chelsea, parts of Revere.

Old 10-09-2018, 06:19 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,007,908 times
Quote:
Are they new to the area or have they lived in Boston for years? And ya—throwing Medford and Arlington into a Boston real estate post is not the same. You know it, too.

I know for a *fact* you cannot get a 1 BR for $1500 with 2 dogs in the South End, Bay Village, Back Bay, Fenway, Jamaica Plain because I was looking for 1 BRs/ 1 dog 8 years ago and couldn’t find anything.

That leaves Mission Hill, Roslindale, Hyde Park, Mattapan, Dot, Southie, West Roxbury and Roxbury for the OP to try.

A mix of each, but none have been in their places more than 2-4 years so it isn't a legacy situation.

Old 10-09-2018, 10:13 AM

17,794 posts, read 9,240,345 times
It seems rather odd that nobody is able to find these $1500 or less apartments in Boston, Cambridge, Somerville yet one guy claims to know at least a dozen people paying that.

Old 10-14-2018, 10:21 PM

154 posts, read 161,210 times
When im finished with my education.. Just to be within an hour of Boston, I will settle for Worcester Area, Providence Area, Nashua/Lowell Area ... if I am priced out of Greater Boston.

The backup to my backup plan is teach high school with my masters and start out at 50k with my partner making another 50k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston