Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 06:58 AM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I know at least a dozen people that live in Boston/Cambridge/Somerville/Medford/Arlington that have a place on their own for that or less.
How long have they lived in their apartments? I looked for several months and ended up in Marlborough because my budget was under $1500. There was virtually nothing available in Medford, Arlington, Watertown, or Waltham at that budget for a 1 bedroom - if anything was listed publicly, it would be snatched up before I could get a same-day viewing or, in one case got snatched up by the last person to see it while I was on a showing of a cat urine and cigarette smelling basement apartment at the top of my budget in Waltham. It would be difficult for an out-of-towner to find something at that price on their own, especially with dogs.

That said, there are tons of roommate situations for under $1000, particularly because many places rotate out a roommate or two but have one leaseholder for many years which frequently keeps the rent low. In my last apartment in a desirable, easily accessible area of Medford, my landlord only increased the rent on my 3 bedroom by about $200 in close to 7 years. If everyone were to move out and start the lease fresh, the landlord could easily get close to double what we were paying.

Two dogs is going to be the trickiest part, I think.

OP - I might have missed it, but what do you do for work?

It's hard for me to imagine swapping living somewhere where I could own a home for $600 a month (less than I've ever paid for a room in an apartment!) to somewhere where it's so difficult to get ahead when only expecting to make <60K. If there's a lot of room for growth in your field here, that's one thing! Otherwise, consider other east coast cities like Portland, Providence, Philadelphia, and Baltimore where the COL is much more reasonable but still would offer excitement and a change of scenery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2018, 07:06 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
How long have they lived in their apartments? I looked for several months and ended up in Marlborough because my budget was under $1500. There was virtually nothing available in Medford, Arlington, Watertown, or Waltham at that budget for a 1 bedroom - if anything was listed publicly, it would be snatched up before I could get a same-day viewing or, in one case got snatched up by the last person to see it while I was on a showing of a cat urine and cigarette smelling basement apartment at the top of my budget in Waltham. It would be difficult for an out-of-towner to find something at that price on their own, especially with dogs. .

From a few years (3-5), to less than 6 mos. A friend of mine is moving to JP a couple of blocks from the MSPCA to a 1 bedroom (saw the pics, looks decent enough) at the end of this month (and yes, I've been conscripted to help) for $1350, and that includes heat. And of course one needs to be the first and write a check on the spot. That's how things roll. It took me months to find my last place in East Somerville, which was $1000/mo (1 bedroom) and when I moved out was $1200, and I got it because I was the first to call, went right over and wrote a check.

Yes, you have to be on the ground, and animals makes it much tougher. Both true statements.

Last edited by timberline742; 09-26-2018 at 07:17 AM..

Old 09-26-2018, 07:15 AM

3,145 posts, read 1,602,619 times
I would suggest looking into Brighton, MA. It's largely populated by students who attend Boston University and if you are in your mid 20's, you might enjoy being among that demographic. You could also look into employment at BU as that might make you eligible for free classes. I say all this as a way for you to meet people in your peer group. BU has undergraduate, graduate, a law school and dental school so the student population generally is 18 through late 20's and some beyond.

Brighton is densely populated and you would need to watch out for the sections of frat houses. I am not sure in what section the graduate students reside. I don't know about housing for dogs but it occurs to me if you decide to share an apartment with a student, they might be willing to room with you and dogs for reduced rent. You could also look into a sublet apartment as students look to sublet apartments when they are abroad and/or over the summer. This would allow you to see how you like the area.

In Brighton you have easy access to the "T" (the subway system) that goes to many sections of Boston and contiguous suburbs. Fenway Park is also in the Brighton area. You might even be able to ditch your car to save you money.

I lived in Kansas City, KS and recall some severe snow storms with brutal wind chills so I don't think weather should be a problem for you.

Last edited by Maddie104; 09-26-2018 at 07:31 AM..

Old 09-26-2018, 07:27 AM

11,063 posts, read 12,456,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
I would suggest looking into Brighton, MA. It's largely populated by students who attend Boston University and if you are in your mid 20's, you might enjoy being among that demographic. You could also look into employment at BU as that might make you eligible for free classes. I say all this as a way for you to meet people in your peer group. BU has undergraduate, graduate, a law school and dental school so the student population generally is 18 through late 20's and some beyond.

Brighton is densely populated and you would need to watch out for the sections of frat houses. I am not sure in what section the graduate students reside. I don't know about housing for dogs but it occurs to me if you decide to share an apartment with a student, they might be willing to room with you and dogs for reduced rent. You could also look into a sublet apartment as students look to sublet apartments when they are abroad and/or over the summer. This would allow you to see how you like the area.

In Brighton you have easy access to the "T" (the subway system) that goes to many sections of Boston and contiguous suburbs. Fenway Park is also in the Brighton area.

I lived in Kansas City, KS and recall some severe snow storms with brutal wind chills so I don't think weather should be a problem for you.
There is a lot wrong with this post.

Brighton is not Allston, though they are technically the same neighborhood by city definitions (Allston-Brighton, which 0 people refer to either as). Brighton is 02135, Allston is 02134. From your description, this sounds much more like you are describing Allston and not Brighton. Allston is very undergraduate heavy and denser than Brighton. Brighton has undergrads too, mostly on Comm Ave, especially closer to the Chestnut Hill Reservoir (heavy BC population, though BC is a much smaller school than BU, which is where most Allston students attend).

I live in Brighton, about 1 mile form Comm ave, Brighton Center/Oak Square area. It's nothing like Allston or even Comm Ave section in Brighton. My street and the other streets around me have families, seniors, decent amount of young professional workers, Irish immigrants, not a noticeable undergrad population. I'm sure some are graduate students, harder to tell with those though. But also, 26 is not the same as 22. There is a big difference, imo, between people that have been working real adult jobs for 4 years vs people still in college.

Also, the T in Brighton and Allston is the green line B line, which sucks. I wouldn't highlight the B line as a selling point to anyone really.

Fenway Park is also most assuredly NOT in Brighton, or Allston. It's in Fenway.

Old 09-26-2018, 07:59 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times
I went on craigslist you can find some very basic apartments old in Lynn-Everett-Dorchester-HP/Rozzy/Mattapan area and Roxbury for 1400-1600,

And where I was wrong...you even a few studios and sublets and top floor slant roof apartments in Newton Arlington Quincy.

That being said you can also find straight up shabby "studios" in Dedham, Malden, Quincy, Stoughton for 890-1050 dollars... like 4/5 of em.

Old 09-26-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
There is a lot wrong with this post.

Brighton is not Allston, though they are technically the same neighborhood by city definitions (Allston-Brighton, which 0 people refer to either as). Brighton is 02135, Allston is 02134. From your description, this sounds much more like you are describing Allston and not Brighton. Allston is very undergraduate heavy and denser than Brighton. Brighton has undergrads too, mostly on Comm Ave, especially closer to the Chestnut Hill Reservoir (heavy BC population, though BC is a much smaller school than BU, which is where most Allston students attend).

I live in Brighton, about 1 mile form Comm ave, Brighton Center/Oak Square area. It's nothing like Allston or even Comm Ave section in Brighton. My street and the other streets around me have families, seniors, decent amount of young professional workers, Irish immigrants, not a noticeable undergrad population. I'm sure some are graduate students, harder to tell with those though. But also, 26 is not the same as 22. There is a big difference, imo, between people that have been working real adult jobs for 4 years vs people still in college.

Also, the T in Brighton and Allston is the green line B line, which sucks. I wouldn't highlight the B line as a selling point to anyone really.

Fenway Park is also most assuredly NOT in Brighton, or Allston. It's in Fenway.
You are correct. I did refer to Allston as Brighton and the OP may prefer Brighton over Allston but they are close and might work. However, I stand by the rest of my post.

She is relatively young and coming from the midwest and these locations would help her be amongst a large population of young people. Yes she should steer clear of the undergrads section there are sections of grad students, dental school and law school populations. She is looking for a place that is affordable for her -- the housing in this area is relatively cheap and many apartment sharing opportunities. She might be able to find employment at BU reducing any commuting costs. If she is close to the T, she might be able to ditch her car and mainly rely on public transportation. The operative word is affordable for her budget. Believe me I have traveled on far worse subway systems than the green line (Manhattan anyone?)and just chalk it up to life in the big city.

Lastly, an advantage of residing close to a large university like BU is the student population comes from all over. A friend of my daughter's from New York met her now husband who was from Ohio attending the BU Dental School at age 25-26.

This OP has asked for suggestions. I am not saying mine is the best but it fulfills some of the criteria and it is an option as opposed to the statement "it's too expensive to live in Boston."

Old 09-26-2018, 08:39 AM

11,063 posts, read 12,456,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
You are correct. I did refer to Allston as Brighton and the OP may prefer Brighton over Allston but they are close and might work. However, I stand by the rest of my post.

She is relatively young and coming from the midwest and these locations would help her be amongst a large population of young people. Yes she should steer clear of the undergrads section there are sections of grad students, dental school and law school populations. She is looking for a place that is affordable for her -- the housing in this area is relatively cheap and many apartment sharing opportunities. She might be able to find employment at BU reducing any commuting costs. If she is close to the T, she might be able to ditch her car and mainly rely on public transportation. The operative word is affordable for her budget. Believe me I have traveled on far worse subway systems than the green line (Manhattan anyone?)and just chalk it up to life in the big city.

This OP has asked for suggestions. I am not saying mine is the best but it fulfills some of the criteria and it is an option as opposed to the statement "it's too expensive to live in Boston."
Well, I am someone in their 20s from the midwest who lives in Brighton. I don't think you are any of those things. Just saying that my input is, in fact, pretty related to OP.

I stand by my suggestion that students and non-students don't really form many social bonds. As a student, you will be preoccupied with school and your friends will be other students.

Nobody ever said "it's too expensive to live in Boston." Just that, and it's not really disputable, moving from a low COL area like Wichita to a high COL area like Boston, is 100% going to result in a loss of things you took for granted before. Really don't know why this is so controversial. It's up to OP to make that call. But to pretend like you can expect a similar life (2 dogs in a one bedroom for cheap, for example) is not realistic and misleading to someone who has never lived or even set foot in Boston.

Old 09-26-2018, 08:54 AM

My daughter lived in both Brighton and Allston and I and she actually preferred Allston. She had a lovely three story brownstone close to Fenway park; Her apartment in Brighton was near the reservoir close to multi-story apartments. Not nearly as nice but I am sure there are sweet spots in both towns.

Old 09-26-2018, 09:16 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
I have never heard the Fenway Park / Kenmore Square to be called Allston.

Old 09-26-2018, 09:17 AM

I lived in the midwest as well -- Kansas City for many years. So I know about weather and cost of living. I am not disputing the lower cost of living of the midwest. In fact that is why I suggest the options that I did. My daughter (late 20's) lived in Boston for the past 10 years and I am going by her and her friends experiences. I have visited many of the areas in Boston proper. So this is my perspective. I just think you overfocused on the names of the towns which are very close to each other and Fenway is just a few blocks from Allston "there is so much wrong with my post" and that the green line "sucks" (and yes I have traveled it many times) However, this could be a generational thing as I would never chose that word to describe something particularly based on my experience in other large cities (Washington, DC a notable exception).

I will concede Allston is largely a student population and that has its cons but if OP has a tight budget, I think she is better served staying where things are relatively inexpensive and then moving to a nicer/most expensive area once she has gotten settled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston