Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2020, 02:13 AM

109 posts, read 98,953 times

Advertisements

I came to Boston in 2012 and settled in the South End. I fell in love with the neighborhood’s character. Yes, there is crime. Yes, it is home to the methadone mile with all the problems that it implies. There are small pockets of concentrated poverty within this affluent neighborhood that makes the enormous income disparity very noticeable. I have not had issues with that until a recent shooting next door building, related to gang activity. The following week there was another shooting in which a 16 years old boy was arrested. That’s when I said enough is enough. I still love the neighborhood and will feel like losing something if I move out to a wrong place. I’m looking for an apartment in a quieter and safer neighborhood or suburb with similar amenities, with public transportation, parks, restaurants, stores, etc. Any suggestion??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2020, 05:00 AM

5,091 posts, read 2,654,205 times
Where do you work?

Old 10-24-2020, 07:27 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,317,904 times
If the crime and opioid zombies are your only complaint, you could consider relocating to a different part of the South End. While the southern part by BMC and Roxbury (and definitely the stuff over by South Bay) are still gritty and rough, the northern parts of the South End are 175 degrees different. The invisible line seems to be Columbus Ave, so if you can land something north of Columbus, you'll keep the neighborhood character and the walkability and lose a lot of the crime and drugs. Of course, the one downside to this is cost -- home prices are about 30% higher. If you can swing it, though, you'll get to keep what you love and lose what you don't.

I used to be closer to BMC and it was noisy. There were random zombies on my steps. The occasional major crime by Chester Park. I moved up by Restaurant Row. Streets are quieter. Have yet to kick an addict off my steps. Haven't heard a gunshot since moving, either.

I'd also say Back Bay or Beacon Hill could work if you don't have a car. If you do, you're either going to want off-street or stay in the South End where resident parking is much easier. Brookline along Beacon, Brighton, and Charlestown are decent alternatives, too.

Beyond that, it gets tough. I had this exact concern about a year ago when I asked here and came away realizing there's just nowhere else in MA that approaches the character of the South End/Back Bay/Beacon Hill area. There simply is no suburb that comes even 80% as close excepting the ones above. Some will say Salem or Newburyport, but IME they're just walkable town centers and don't really replace the character of Boston.

Old 10-24-2020, 07:59 AM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
South Boston too by Andrew or Broadway are great choices. Not Seaport...

orr Jamaica Plain.. my favorite district.

Old 10-24-2020, 09:24 AM

875 posts, read 662,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diegomar2007 View Post
I came to Boston in 2012 and settled in the South End. I fell in love with the neighborhood’s character. Yes, there is crime. Yes, it is home to the methadone mile with all the problems that it implies. There are small pockets of concentrated poverty within this affluent neighborhood that makes the enormous income disparity very noticeable. I have not had issues with that until a recent shooting next door building, related to gang activity. The following week there was another shooting in which a 16 years old boy was arrested. That’s when I said enough is enough. I still love the neighborhood and will feel like losing something if I move out to a wrong place. I’m looking for an apartment in a quieter and safer neighborhood or suburb with similar amenities, with public transportation, parks, restaurants, stores, etc. Any suggestion??
Where in the south end do you live now - what side of mass ave? Huge difference between living near Ramsay park vs on Appleton.

I lived there for many years and still have a rental there and never had problems like that.

Old 10-24-2020, 09:27 AM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
South Boston too by Andrew or Broadway are great choices. Not Seaport...

orr Jamaica Plain.. my favorite district.
I would not recommend Andrew if you are looking to avoid sketchy characters. JP is really not at all like the S End.

Old 10-24-2020, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I would not recommend Andrew if you are looking to avoid sketchy characters. JP is really not at all like the S End.
JP isnt like the South End, but its equally as nice and cultured.

Andrew really isnt that bad.

Old 10-24-2020, 02:37 PM

21,627 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
JP isnt like the South End, but its equally as nice and cultured.

Andrew really isnt that bad.
Andrew is as very nearly as bad as that part of the South End with none of the charm.

Id say South Boston (not Andrew or Seaport), Charlestown, Jamaica Plain, Fenway.

Old 10-24-2020, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Andrew is as very nearly as bad as that part of the South End with none of the charm.

Id say South Boston (not Andrew or Seaport), Charlestown, Jamaica Plain, Fenway.
Maybe 10 years ago. But the communities by Andrew are fine in South Boston. I was literally just there:

Telegraph Hill: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3317...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3298...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3301...7i16384!8i8192

Yeah obviously, dont live here:https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3296...7i16384!8i8192

Old 10-24-2020, 04:39 PM

1,393 posts, read 858,971 times
If you’ve lived in south end since 2012 I’m thinking you may know as good as anyone..how about brookline around Coolidge corner, beacon hill, back bay, Cambridge or Charlestown ??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston