Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2020, 12:58 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,318,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer2 View Post
Never been a fan of Charlestown - always felt isolated/'over there', but have friends who love it with the water access etc.

S End is far better now from a crime perspective, although it seems that the Mass/Cass zombies are increasing in numbers and spreading into the neighborhoods with the closure of L Island bridge.

I much preferred the S End before all the Range Rovers and Uppa Baby strollers rolled in. Of course, when I first lived there the old timers were saying it had changed for the worse too.
I get the angst of Range Rovers (actually I despise all SUVs, especially in an urban setting), but why strollers?

I would think strollers are a pretty common sight anywhere with kids. My only annoyance with them is when people take them into tight spaces with no awareness they’re crowding others (not so much a problem right now), but idiot parents do that pretty much everywhere.

Looking at you, parents pushing your double-wide stroller into a small coffee shop. Probably the same fools who think giant SUVs in a city are a good idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2020, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
Yes but the stuff on the east side and the nice stuff closer to Castle Island is further from the Red line. I'm not basing it on my personal rating system, but on what I believe most yuppies factored into their decisions at the time. Also, the east side of Southie was home to some of the most powerful politicians in the state. I think not having red line stops nearby might have suited at least some of them just fine, as it undoubtedly discouraged "outsiders" from moving in.
You’re not wrong. Stuff over by Castle Island was a huge turnoff because of how far away it was from the T. I wanted to live in an area less dependent on cars, not more. We were knocking several hundred grand off the value of a place in eastern Southie for that very reason when we were house hunting, and we weren’t alone. That’s a big part of why price per square foot over there, even for the nice units, didn’t approach what it does in the South End or parts of Charlestown.

Old 10-29-2020, 08:58 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,136,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
Looking at you, parents pushing your double-wide stroller into a small coffee shop. Probably the same fools who think giant SUVs in a city are a good idea.
The few times I've tried to hit up a Flour location (typically Cambridge or Wash St.) on a weekend, the place has been truly overrun with Uppababy strollers. The lack of consideration is obnoxious, but the meme aspect tempers it some. I'd like to give a personal shootout to the mother who cable-locked her Uppababy Vista to the light post prior to walking in with her infant in arm.

These well-heeled urban parents need to invest in a Deuter Kid Comfort Pro backpack. Best $300 we (my wife and I) spent and not a single person inconvenienced at our local coffeeshop, brewery, or museum ... of course, this was in the 'before' times.

Old 10-29-2020, 09:11 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,340,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Best $300 we (my wife and I) spent and not a single person inconvenienced at our local coffeeshop, brewery, or museum ... of course, this was in the 'before' times.
Those people couldn't care less about being inconvenient. Even with a backpack that would be able to be extremely annoying.

Old 10-29-2020, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
The few times I've tried to hit up a Flour location (typically Cambridge or Wash St.) on a weekend, the place has been truly overrun with Uppababy strollers. The lack of consideration is obnoxious, but the meme aspect tempers it some. I'd like to give a personal shootout to the mother who cable-locked her Uppababy Vista to the light post prior to walking in with her infant in arm.

These well-heeled urban parents need to invest in a Deuter Kid Comfort Pro backpack. Best $300 we (my wife and I) spent and not a single person inconvenienced at our local coffeeshop, brewery, or museum ... of course, this was in the 'before' times.
Funny you mention it, the Flour on Washington and the Buttery on Shawmut are two of the exact places that came to mind when I first posted this.

As for locking, that's serious. We actually had our first Bugaboo stroller stolen in a break-in, so we absolutely bike-lock that puppy when we step in somewhere for a little bit. Incidentally, we're a Bugaboo family precisely because they compact up well when folded (and go over the brick sidewalks easily).

Old 10-29-2020, 03:33 PM

17,676 posts, read 9,164,338 times
OP, what is your current budget? I noticed that you mentioned in a post from May 2019 that you were living in government housing. I am assuming that means public housing projects but please correct me if I'm wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston