Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2020, 12:49 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,319,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I don't see any similarities whatsoever.
To the South End? How do you figure?

It was on my short list of alternatives and one of the closest in feel I've found. I almost moved there until the right upgrade came along that allowed me to stay in the South End.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2020, 12:52 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
I really don't get how Charlestown gentrified heavily before South Boston, South End and some other areas.

Old 10-27-2020, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I really don't get how Charlestown gentrified heavily before South Boston, South End and some other areas.
Location and price. South Boston has a couple of red line stops on its edge, but most of it might as well be another town. Buses during bad traffic aren't a very reliable option. Charlestown is walkable to the North End and Downtown and has orange line access. Also an easier shot out to 93/1.

The good stuff in South Boston (Seaport) was out of most people's price range already, so Charlestown made the next logical choice.

To be fair, the gentrified part of Charlestown is the stuff south of Bunker Hill where it's still close to the T and walkable to the North End. I'd pay $1.5 million for something in that part of Charlestown, but not up by Medford.

I don't know if I'd say Charlestown gentrified before the South End. The northern part's been gentrified for decades; it's the stuff past Mass Ave that's still not there yet (same as Charlestown's less desirable areas).

Perhaps massnative's comment unintentionally got to the root of the matter. The people driving the gentrification are the yuppy DINKs and former-DINKs with a toddler in their $1000 stroller. They want the 125 year old brownstones next to 15 preppy coffee shops and fancy restaurants, and walkable to retail and entertainment. They're not going to pay $2 million for a wooden triple decker that's still got its gritty feel, and that's a lot of what South Boston still is.

Old 10-27-2020, 04:12 PM

5,096 posts, read 2,658,571 times
The Navy yard solidified C-town as a yuppie stronghold, combined with the its proximity to the financial district, MGH and easy access to 93 and points north to 128 belt high tech jobs. And most of the private housing stock in Ctown is generally better than Southie, at least that on the west side of Southie closer to downtown. It's also more historic and has that "quaint" gaslight feel that attracted some--despite the killings and angel dustheads in the projects. Ctown started seriously gentrifying in the late 80's/ early 90's.

Last edited by bostongymjunkie; 10-27-2020 at 04:22 PM..

Old 10-28-2020, 08:11 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Charlestown looks overcrowded, doesnt have many nice amenities or entertainment so far as I can tell. A huge portion fo it was/projects, the housing stock isnt in and of itself "nice" looks like it had to be rehabbed to that point.

Southie was on the water, a bit more spacious, right next to downtown as well and had multiple T stops.

South End just has way better bones but I think a more entrenched and ingrained crime problem? ITs also close to Roxbury so I guess I see that.

Just my thoughts. I agree with all you all are saying.

Old 10-28-2020, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Charlestown looks overcrowded, doesnt have many nice amenities or entertainment so far as I can tell. A huge portion fo it was/projects, the housing stock isnt in and of itself "nice" looks like it had to be rehabbed to that point.

Southie was on the water, a bit more spacious, right next to downtown as well and had multiple T stops.

South End just has way better bones but I think a more entrenched and ingrained crime problem? ITs also close to Roxbury so I guess I see that.

Just my thoughts. I agree with all you all are saying.
The crime is mostly drug-related (which also attracts gangs), and as long as Mass and Cass remains the epicenter for drugs, the crime's not going away.

Old 10-28-2020, 09:30 AM

875 posts, read 663,314 times
Never been a fan of Charlestown - always felt isolated/'over there', but have friends who love it with the water access etc.

S End is far better now from a crime perspective, although it seems that the Mass/Cass zombies are increasing in numbers and spreading into the neighborhoods with the closure of L Island bridge.

I much preferred the S End before all the Range Rovers and Uppa Baby strollers rolled in. Of course, when I first lived there the old timers were saying it had changed for the worse too.

Old 10-28-2020, 10:17 AM

23,539 posts, read 18,678,020 times
Quote:
I don't know why people keep peddling this. The "2" Red Line stops are barely into Southie. I'd bet the average Charlestown resident is closer to either Bunker Hill or N Station than the average Southie resident is to either Broadway or Andrew.

The views from Charlestown are imo far superior to most of Southie.

Old 10-28-2020, 10:29 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,791,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
And that's where it stops. Besides the lack of restaurants and other amenities you mention, it lacks the diversity and atmosphere that make up the South End. Charlestown is pretty much an enclave of white yuppie DINKS and single professionals. Sure South End has that too, but it's that in combination with "everything else" that makes the neighborhood what it is. Charlestown (save for the projects) is basically a bedroom community that happens to have dense historic housing.

When responding to questions here I generally try to be as objective and straight to the point as possible. OP pretty much asked about where he could have the South End but without the crime and "junkie" issues. That pretty much leaves the Back Bay, Fenway, and parts of Brookline. Charlestown, no. South Boston, no. Davis Square, no. Cambridge...MAAYBE Central Square but still quite different in housing makeup and like someone else said it's a completely different crowd and vibe once you cross the river. And then again, junkies galore...
Yep, all that. The OP likes the South End for its scene and feel and Charlestown has nothing like that. It’s dry and boring with not much at all going on. People walk/drive/bike across the bridge to get to venues and then go back to Charlestown to sleep quietly on a pretty street.

Old 10-28-2020, 11:03 AM

5,096 posts, read 2,658,571 times
Quote:

Yes but the stuff on the east side and the nice stuff closer to Castle Island is further from the Red line. I'm not basing it on my personal rating system, but on what I believe most yuppies factored into their decisions at the time. Also, the east side of Southie was home to some of the most powerful politicians in the state. I think not having red line stops nearby might have suited at least some of them just fine, as it undoubtedly discouraged "outsiders" from moving in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston