Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2023, 03:57 PM

21,781 posts, read 12,922,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by upperechelon View Post
Yeah, Millyz is cool. The hate is unwarranted. He could've easily went the Guru route and claimed NYC but he reps hard. I don't even care about Cambridge, but having him as the face of the Boston scene confirms what they think. The same sh** people like you and Dart Adams are trying to combat.
I don't think people think there's a Boston scene though. Millyz really isn't seen beyond being a cool white guy you can put on a track.

I don't follow him like that so idk what type of hate or what level but yea. I just want people to be honest when thy talk about Boston. Like actually honest.

Dart fighting the good fight but he places IMO too much value on some of the wrong uberniche things- got into an argument with him once because he was talking about the importance of Live Free or Die Radio and how it is important to the "d Scene" lol- I'm like 'bro your energy is misplaced if you going to bat for a New Hampshire based anything.'

He should devote his energy to building bridges with other black communities not combating and being on the defensive as much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2023, 03:57 PM

6,823 posts, read 6,088,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
lol! I thought you told me you were Indian from Essex County. Maybe it was an autocorrect or my dyslexia or something lol.
Nope! Maybe I was talking about restaurants I liked?

The name has tripped people up, but it’s wholly meant to invert the term “Boston Brahmin” rather than tie myself to Hinduism and the actual, historic Indian caste system.

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 05-04-2023 at 04:09 PM..

Old 05-04-2023, 04:07 PM

119 posts, read 37,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I don't think people think there's a Boston scene though. Millyz really isn't seen beyond being a cool white guy you can put on a track.

I don't follow him like that so idk what type of hate or what level but yea. I just want people to be honest when thy talk about Boston. Like actually honest.

Dart fighting the good fight but he places IMO too much value on some of the wrong uberniche things- got into an argument with him once because he was talking about the importance of Live Free or Die Radio and how it is important to the "d Scene" lol- I'm like 'bro your energy is misplaced if you going to bat for a New Hampshire based anything.'

He should devote his energy to building bridges with other black communities not combating and being on the defensive as much.

He's been buzzing for the past year doing interviews on big platforms and getting co-signs from big names. He's not super big time or nothing but he's the first rapper that comes up for people that do happen to think about our scene. Exactly what I was afraid of.

Dart Adams is a cornball and way too combative. But like you said, I respect the fight.

Old 05-04-2023, 04:08 PM

2,386 posts, read 1,873,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Agreed. No one in the south really thinks about Boston tbh - it's a completely different world. But anecdotally, the black people I know who aren't particularly fans of Boston dont dislike it due to racism, we just dislike it due to the fact that Boston kind of sucks by many of our standards. Cold, depressing winters, bland food, a rather "dry" populace, etc. That's not to say Boston doesn't have redeeming qualities (it does), but the average black person in the south doesn't dream of moving to Boston and many of us actually kind of dread the prospect. It's not about Boston being too white imo. Seattle, for example, is just as white and isn't seen in the same lens as Boston is. Boston just has a unique set of urban features that aren't that appealing to most of us. It is what it is.
That hasnt been my experience in the South. In GA its well known as racist and well known in general, generally positively by white/asian crowds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GN15 View Post
Well, I'm definitely aware of how Boston is perceived but I've been there and haven’t had problems. I actually know that the Boston metro has the Cape Verde and West Indian segment on top of the melanated Americans. I'm from the ATL and spent some time in SW CT and have encountered Bostonians before (obviously). My Bravos started in Boston and cool with integrating the team, Sam Jethroe by the way was a Boston Brave after trying out for the Red Sox, then again, the Boston Braves' first two owners were New York City businessmen with very very close ties with Tammany Hall, lol. So yeah, the Boston Red Sox may have been racist but at least the Boston Braves balanced that out some. Of course, I say that in jest but Boston is okay, at least there's a presence of enough viewpoints to offset any racist views.
This is exactly the view point Ive seen dozens of times from Atlanta people. Except it's mostly only the bolded part, and usually that person doesn't have the additional information and background about the city.. Typically would say it's a city treated with a heavy amount of suspicion but little to no hard evidence to back up the suspicion. But sometimes there is also a lot of interest. The one area of interest in particular I repeatedly hear about is the food. It's a little surprising to me because I think Boston has a perfectly fine culinary scene, but not necessarily deserving national attention. But people do consistently bring that up as something they are interested in about the city and enjoyed. It's seen as a lot more of a seafood culinary capital by southerners than it really is to locals imo.

It's possible other parts of the south and Texas don't think about Boston at all. I could actually see that since Texas is like twice as far from Boston as Georgia is. Massachusetts and Georgia are more similar than MA and Texas. Texas is more of its own world. I also agree Texas has a bad reputation itself. it's different from Boston's, but it's seen as backwards by a lot in the NE. Racist, yes, but not explicitly racist as much as implicitly or obviously racist as a result as being backward. Boston is seen as racist but not overall backward.

You don't see that reputation for Texas in other parts of the south, because it wouldn't make sense relatively speaking coming from a resient of Georgia or any other southern state to look down their nose at Texas. In New England and NY it's very common and they will look down on Texas more than a state like Georgia because they don't think about the parts of Georgia outside of Atlanta or Savannah at all.

Old 05-04-2023, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
The one area of interest in particular I repeatedly hear about is the food. It's a little surprising to me because I think Boston has a perfectly fine culinary scene, but not necessarily deserving national attention. But people do consistently bring that up as something they are interested in about the city and enjoyed. It's seen as a lot more of a seafood culinary capital by southerners than it really is to locals imo.

A lot of Black Bostonians love the food scene there, and cite it as something they miss the most if they move away.

Honestly? White Bostonians seem not to like it as much which I think is because they're not getting the full diversity of the food scene.

I find a lot of people do tell me they loved the food in Boston and a few who say its weak. I thought it was kind of weak in comparison to other east coast cities and I still do but really only due to the lack of street food, affordability, and lack of cool/cozy atmosphere in the restaurants and generally cool aloof servers (no one ever smiles when they serve you in Boston its strange when I look back at it). The actual quality of the food in restaurants its really quite good. I love that Boston is light on the salt, I kind of hate salt, low-key.

And yes Seafood seems to be what tourists eat in Boston, what they come for. but like... Idk where Id even find that type of New England see food in most of the area. Certainly not in Hyde Park lol. Not in Stoughton or Roxbury or Walpole or West Roxbury. But then again, I dont eat Seafood. Buti dont see really anywhere serving fresh seafood unless I get like right to the water or downtown.

Seafood (crab) is INFINITELY more popular amongst locals in Baltimore than in Boston. No ones having 'lobster deck' parties in Boston...there's a 'crab shack' virtually every 4/5 blocks in Bmore.

Old 05-04-2023, 04:27 PM

Yeah the thing is a lot of the people I'm talking about visited Boston, felt suspicious, but have good things to say about the food scene. And they mean seafood. They don't mean Carribean food 9 times out of 10 they mean Seafood or Italian food in the North End cause the people who actually went to Boston south of MAve usually aren't suspicious of it in the first place.

People also seem to think Maine is alot closer to Boston than it really is, so maybe that's part of it. Lobster rolls and clam chowder are the big ones but especially Lobster.

Also on the spanish part, spanish and hispanic is the literal same word with a different spelling and the same exact meaning and etymology. Like how English speakers say Brazil and Portuguese say Brasil the difference is meaningless. Spanish is pretty commonly said though by Boston natives I haven't heard that a lot in other areas. Other places you are more likely to hear people say Mexican to refer to anyone who speaks spanish than call them Spanish. you never ever heard that in Boston though

Old 05-04-2023, 04:37 PM

On the climate, I think people in Georgia have a pretty decent understanding of the relatively coldness of Boston. They know its cold, they will say they could never live there because it's cold, but they realize it's not too cold to visit and 0 times have I ever heard someone say they wouldn't visit because of how cold it is. Even if they overestimate slightly how cold it is sometimes, they underestimate in other ways because of how many people down here are aware of 'the cape' and see that as a bigger part of the Boston experience than ime it ever was. Underestimating to me how those beaches stay cold all year and are swimmable to me for like 3 weeks of the year. On the other hand I think people up north way overestimate how hot Atlanta is. Moreso it's comfortable than hot. Right now its in may and all week the highs like 70-75 and low in the 50s. It's only really hot for a few months and it doesn't get that humid or hot at all compared to FLA, LA, TX

Old 05-04-2023, 06:53 PM

12,200 posts, read 8,107,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
Who is actually refuting the fact that Boston is and has been racist as a city??
You live in Atlanta.

Old 05-04-2023, 08:47 PM

87 posts, read 142,513 times
good lord. fifty pages of b.s.

how many b**ck males mug old chinese ladies on subways? how many b*"ck males push wh**e folks onto subway tracks when a train is coming? how many bl**k males stick up stores and restaurants and who also beat down and pistol whip those store and restaurant owners?

compare those numbers to how many white and oriental and indian and pakistani and hispanic perpetrators do those things.

big, big, astoundingly big difference.

so, enough with all the anti-white trash talk being spouted in this thread.

Old 05-04-2023, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrainride View Post
good lord. fifty pages of b.s.

how many b**ck males mug old chinese ladies on subways? how many b*"ck males push wh**e folks onto subway tracks when a train is coming? how many bl**k males stick up stores and restaurants and who also beat down and pistol whip those store and restaurant owners?

compare those numbers to how many white and oriental and indian and pakistani and hispanic perpetrators do those things.

big, big, astoundingly big difference.

so, enough with all the anti-white trash talk being spouted in this thread.
Poster reps a 11702 zip code. South side of Long Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston