Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2023, 11:44 AM

14,090 posts, read 15,122,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Maine is not part of Boston's regional identity. New Hampshire? yes- absolutely Rhode Island?- yes absolutely. - Maine? No. I've never heard anyone from Boston... of any demographic, reference to Maine except on C-D. And that's from people who are not local to Boston.

And furthermore, when people talk about racism in Boston they're not talking about Maine..People outside of NE don't even remember it is a state.

It is not just "a lot less of a destination" for Boston locals- it's a foreign land completely. The only reason I've ever heard about Maine is if someone is going there to get an illegal firearm or sell fentanyl.

Cape Cod isn't a part of Boston's identity -especially not to black people (especially considering they like Martha's Vineyard and don't associate it with Boston at all)- but it's definitely not as foreign to locals as Maine is. If Maine was a part of Boston's identity they'd manage to find their way into the 8.5 million person, 13,000 square mile CSA. What people do in the Merrimack Valley and Maine really isn't relevant to this conversation.
The Cape is certainly part of Boston’s identity. As much as the Hamptons are part of New York’s.

There are a *lot* of Rich people in Boston who have big summer homes down the Cape.

Agree on Maine though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2023, 11:47 AM

2,386 posts, read 1,877,679 times
I think the regional identity in other parts of the countr is more based on perceptions than reality, so Maine still could enter the discussion. If you had someone from the south list out places they relate to Boston the chances are very very high they would say Maine before New Hampshire. I expect many would even say it before Rhode Island or Connecticut. Similar even Vermont would come up before New Hampshire despite being even further and arguably less related to Boston than Maine. Maine probably has the most 2nd most identity of any NE state around the country behind Connecticut. I would say that since MA doesn't have a strong state identity it's identity is just the state where Boston is. Like Illinois is to people in the NE compared to say Kansas. Connecticut identity is way more associated to NY than to Boston in the South though so that's why I would hesitate to bring it in, despite being more relevant by far to actual Bostonians

If there is no racial stigma attached to Maine then it still wouldn't belong in the discussion. I've not heard of any in particular, but it's of course a very white and rural state. So it still may not belong, but it came up because of the seafood perception that's certainly shared between Boston and Maine and to me doesn't really feel warranted to Boston, but more reasonable if you inculde Maine as part of Boston. Which I originally said doesn't make too much sense to me to do that but it still doesn't explain Boston's seafood reputation

Old 05-05-2023, 12:00 PM

21,794 posts, read 12,960,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
The Cape is certainly part of Boston’s identity. As much as the Hamptons are part of New York’s.

There are a *lot* of Rich people in Boston who have big summer homes down the Cape.

Agree on Maine though.
I don’t associate the Hamptons with New York City’s identity.

It’s the Hamptons. The Hamptons and the Cape are their own things, their vacation destinations primarily. Like when you talk about everyday ongoing in those cities/metros you’re not talking about the Hamptons and the Cape.

Obviously rich people own homes there but it’s a vacation destination to get **away** from life in Boston or NYC, not an extension of that lifestyle. Quite the opposite.

When people visit Boston they dont also go to the Cape, or visa versa. Same for NYC I’ve been there 20 times. No ones ever been like ‘let’s go to the Hamptons’. It’s a seprate destination. Separate trip.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 05-05-2023 at 12:15 PM..

Old 05-05-2023, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
I think the regional identity in other parts of the countr is more based on perceptions than reality, so Maine still could enter the discussion. If you had someone from the south list out places they relate to Boston the chances are very very high they would say Maine before New Hampshire. I expect many would even say it before Rhode Island or Connecticut. Similar even Vermont would come up before New Hampshire despite being even further and arguably less related to Boston than Maine. Maine probably has the most 2nd most identity of any NE state around the country behind Connecticut. I would say that since MA doesn't have a strong state identity it's identity is just the state where Boston is. Like Illinois is to people in the NE compared to say Kansas. Connecticut identity is way more associated to NY than to Boston in the South though so that's why I would hesitate to bring it in, despite being more relevant by far to actual Bostonians

If there is no racial stigma attached to Maine then it still wouldn't belong in the discussion. I've not heard of any in particular, but it's of course a very white and rural state. So it still may not belong, but it came up because of the seafood perception that's certainly shared between Boston and Maine and to me doesn't really feel warranted to Boston, but more reasonable if you inculde Maine as part of Boston. Which I originally said doesn't make too much sense to me to do that but it still doesn't explain Boston's seafood reputation
I 100% disagree. People in general have very little where Maine even is in relation to Boston. I certainly don’t think they think of it as close to Boston. Not unless they’re like very New Englandy, old, or WASPY. I live in Maryland I’ve not heard the word “Maine” aloud in years.

Vermont? That’s more associated with a NY getaway/retirement space a la Bernie Sanders, it’s not in the Boston sphere much like the Cape, same with the Berkshires. You go there and it’s New York plates everywhere.

Many people from Boston are from CT/NY/NJ, many people from Massachusetts people retire to Maine or New Hampshire , many people from Boston and Metro Boston move to RI when they can’t afford Boston. Vermont doesn’t play a role until you get to northern New England, CT, or Western MA. Saying this as someone who lived in CT for 4 years.

As for CT having the most state identity in New England I don’t really know about that, maybe it’s true…but it’s certainly more relevant to people in terms of business and social connections than Maine.

Also none of this is on topic.

Old 05-05-2023, 12:33 PM

2,386 posts, read 1,877,679 times
Quote:
I don’t associate the Hamptons with New York City’s identity.

It’s the Hamptons. The Hamptons and the Cape are their own things, their vacation destinations primarily. Like when you talk about everyday ongoing in those cities/metros you’re not talking about the Hamptons and the Cape.

Obviously rich people own homes there but it’s a vacation destination to get **away** from life in Boston or NYC, not an extension of that lifestyle. Quite the opposite.

When people visit Boston they dont also go to the Cape, or visa versa. Same for NYC I’ve been there 20 times. No ones ever been like ‘let’s go to the Hamptons’. It’s a seprate destination. Separate trip.
The cape is part of it though. People do do that trip and I know tons of Georgians who did that trip and more than a handful who have done Boston-Portland or Boston-Bar Harbor in the same trip since we're on the topic. The Cape is like the 3rd thing that comes up after sports and Harvard with the accent. Whether or not you personally experienced the Cape as a major part of Boston life (It wasnt for me) it still is a part of the identity and would influence perception of the city. For many ppl in the city it is a major and regular destination. 100% fair game for this discussion, even if we eliminate other NE states completely. MV in partulcar should be a positive influence for Boston's identity. If, as you say, it's not seen as part and parcel of Boston the way the mainland Cape, that sounds like a missed opportunity. Since it ought to be seen that way and it has a more favourable reputation for race relations than Boston proper.

Old 05-05-2023, 02:06 PM

4,644 posts, read 4,939,200 times
Quote:
Portland is not in the CSA..Portland has its own CSA
oof, that's what I get for not looking at original sources.

Old 05-06-2023, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
The cape is part of it though. People do do that trip and I know tons of Georgians who did that trip and more than a handful who have done Boston-Portland or Boston-Bar Harbor in the same trip since we're on the topic. The Cape is like the 3rd thing that comes up after sports and Harvard with the accent. Whether or not you personally experienced the Cape as a major part of Boston life (It wasnt for me) it still is a part of the identity and would influence perception of the city. For many ppl in the city it is a major and regular destination. 100% fair game for this discussion, even if we eliminate other NE states completely. MV in partulcar should be a positive influence for Boston's identity. If, as you say, it's not seen as part and parcel of Boston the way the mainland Cape, that sounds like a missed opportunity. Since it ought to be seen that way and it has a more favourable reputation for race relations than Boston proper.
Unfortunately MV has no positive impact on Boston reputation. Black people do not associate the Cape or Maine or MV with Boston. They're not that tied into the region. The regional identity to most of my demographic is Good Will Hunting, Mark Wahlberg, Sports, Colleges, Seafood, Racism, New Edition, and Bad weather. I think the only other place most by *name* are really aware of as being in the Boston area is Cambridge, maybe Worceater or Providence..

When folks go to MV they're coming from points south of MA and usually drive from Washington DC-NYC. They don't tyoically enter or fly into Boston first. I know this to be fact. Many take a boat from NYC directly to MV. And they don't vacation on the Cape or in Maine at all anyway- so its not on the radar. It's also like 2.5 hours to Boston from the Cape. I also know some folks who are black and have vacationed in the Berkshires or Vermont and don't go to Boston at all because it's 2.5 hours away and they might just have no interest.

There's actually a show featuring Black life on Marthas Vineyard coming out on Bravo, many of my Bsoton friends were asked to be on the show but they felt it was concotected and didn't want their summer activities to be on camera. We actually had an Instagram live VIA UR “Vineyard Legacy” group discussing the problem with how Bravo was choosing to depict the Island. So you will have a show set on MV with an all black-cast and NONE of the entire cast is from New Egland at all, none. And Nosotn certainly is not mentioned or panned to...so no black people absolutely do NOT associate MV with Boston. Show is called Summer House: Marthas Vineyard https://www.bravotv.com/summer-house-marthas-vineyard

In general black people living *in* the Boston area have most of their social/vacation connections in NYC, MV, NJ, Rhode Island, CT, or New Hampshire.

Old 05-06-2023, 08:02 AM

12,227 posts, read 8,136,657 times
Quote:
Unfortunately MV has no positive impact on Boston reputation. Black people do not associate the Cape or Maine or MV with Boston. They're not that tied into the region. The regional identity to most of my demographic is Good Will Hunting, Mark Wahlberg, Sports, Colleges, Seafood, Racism, New Edition, and Bad weather. I think the only other place most by *name* are really aware of as being in the Boston area is Cambridge, maybe Worceater or Providence..

When folks go to MV they're coming from points south of MA and usually drive from Washington DC-NYC. They don't tyoically enter or fly into Boston first. I know this to be fact. Many take a boat from NYC directly to MV. And they don't vacation on the Cape or in Maine at all anyway- so its not on the radar. It's also like 2.5 hours to Boston from the Cape. I also know some folks who are black and have vacationed in the Berkshires or Vermont and don't go to Boston at all because it's 2.5 hours away and they might just have no interest.

There's actually a show featuring Black life on Marthas Vineyard coming out on Bravo, many of my Bsoton friends were asked to be on the show but they felt it was concotected and didn't want their summer activities to be on camera. We actually had an Instagram live VIA UR “Vineyard Legacy” group discussing the problem with how Bravo was choosing to depict the Island. So you will have a show set on MV with an all black-cast and NONE of the entire cast is from New Egland at all, none. And Nosotn certainly is not mentioned or panned to...so no black people absolutely do NOT associate MV with Boston. Show is called Summer House: Marthas Vineyard https://www.bravotv.com/summer-house-marthas-vineyard

In general black people living *in* the Boston area have most of their social/vacation connections in NYC, MV, NJ, Rhode Island, CT, or New Hampshire.
When people think Hamptons, they think NYC
When people think Cape May and Wildwood, they think Philly
When people think of the Cape and Islands, they think Boston

Old 05-06-2023, 08:07 AM

14,090 posts, read 15,122,583 times
Quote:

I mean you say that but then people will say how white Boston is. But that reputation. Is based on the fact the region outside of Boston is 85% white not that Boston is 45% White.

Although admittedly part of it id a lot of people are stuck in the past where Non-White meant Afrucan American, so places with large Caribbean/Asian populations are generally considered less diverse than places with large African American populations.

Old 05-06-2023, 11:36 AM

12,227 posts, read 8,136,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I mean you say that but then people will say how white Boston is. But that reputation. Is based on the fact the region outside of Boston is 85% white not that Boston is 45% White.

Although admittedly part of it id a lot of people are stuck in the past where Non-White meant Afrucan American, so places with large Caribbean/Asian populations are generally considered less diverse than places with large African American populations.
I think the gba outside boston is like 70-75%, like 72%, white now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston