Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2023, 02:17 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,793,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
This is what we see mostl daily RedLion, so it makes sense we are defensive.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Csy1QP-u...RlODBiNWFlZA==

"I don't understand being a minority and being a boston sports fan"

See the quoted tweets
https://twitter.com/nouc_mami/status...1WVkdq1xOdfo2g

the way y’all b erasing the black/brown population of boston is so crazy cause there’s such a large one lol
https://twitter.com/tygrswrld/status...1WVkdq1xOdfo2g

They also act like being against boston teams is gon save us lmfao
https://twitter.com/kobkdior/status/...1WVkdq1xOdfo2g

People who say **** like this are so ass backwards they genuinely believe dunking on non-white Bostonians is a based take. Like really think about that for a second

The brazen disrespect to Black and brown Bostonians in these takes is pathetic and tired

It be the mfs who never stepped foot in Boston who hate on us the most and have no clue about the diversity in the city.
https://twitter.com/Semajatrois_/sta...115098113?s=20

Can y’all come up with something else? Lol
https://twitter.com/castrowas95/stat...651241472?s=20

From someone who lives in California and used to live in Boston, this logic dumb as hell. Cus there’s more racism out here. But I digress IYKYK
https://twitter.com/TyVeClic/status/...561552897?s=20

People really don’t get to say “oh I’m not talking about yall” andpeople believe it... To not acknowledge nonwhite or black Boston fans/Bostonians because that is the point.

when you say “Boston is” or “Boston fans” are you are talking about the whole city whether you meant to or not because you don’t qualify it, or exempt anyone from it. You just don't care enough too. You characterize all 17,064 fans in the arena and all 675,000 in the city in one quote you don’t get to then come back and say “but I wasn’t asking about y’all”or have other say it for you online- because yes you really were and if you weren’t you should make it clear. The lack of acknowledgment and care/respect always going to be disrespectful.

Like… we are not dumb. Far from it- we know the deal

It really be Boston vs everybody. But they wanna get maddd when we say that (this is you RedLion, don’t get mad just cuz we’re aware!) https://twitter.com/faithfullymari/s...1WVkdq1xOdfo2g

For real they always acting like we don't know
https://twitter.com/selwilson2/statu...1WVkdq1xOdfo2g
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2023, 02:46 PM

1,052 posts, read 574,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Huh?

He just showed you where its white on the map

I wen to the Meatpacking District in Manhattan not too long ago. Very white. Not blindingly but 80%+ i don’t agree that all of Manhattan is very diverse.
HUH?

Where is the map?

I was in Manhattan last week. I was in SoHo/NoHo/NoLita, I saw a fairly diverse crowd.

Ironically I live in a neighborhood in Houston with statistically zero black person so how’s that for stereotype?

I’m really hurt you don’t agree with me. (/sarcasm)

Old 05-29-2023, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainsley1999 View Post
HUH?

Where is the map?

I was in Manhattan last week. I was in SoHo/NoHo/NoLita, I saw a fairly diverse crowd.

Ironically I live in a neighborhood in Houston with statistically zero black person so how’s that for stereotype?

It's in the spoiler button on his post, just click it.
.but yeah there are quite a few 80%+ white census tracts in Manhattan. Not insignificant by any means.

Old 05-29-2023, 06:24 PM

2,375 posts, read 1,857,841 times
Quote:
HUH?

Where is the map?

The maps I posted were from citydata.com and they were inside a spoiler because they're large. Note: they are showing %of Black residents since that seems morerelevant than overall diversity. SF downtown for example has a much larger Asian population than Boston but it doesn't seem as relevant since there seems to be no stigma against it from Asian communities in general. It seems to enjoy a great reputation from most Asian people I know at least.

Part of it might be the tourism aspect in NYC changes the feel on the streets more than downtown Boston. Lower/Midtown Manhattan likely has much more black tourist population compared to Boston and just an overwhelmingly more diverse and global tourism base overall. When you look at actual % of black residents there aren't many in those areas, nor in other large swaths of the city and Jersey

Old 05-29-2023, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
The maps I posted were from citydata.com and they were inside a spoiler because they're large. Note: they are showing %of Black residents since that seems morerelevant than overall diversity. SF downtown for example has a much larger Asian population than Boston but it doesn't seem as relevant since there seems to be no stigma against it from Asian communities in general. It seems to enjoy a great reputation from most Asian people I know at least.

Part of it might be the tourism aspect in NYC changes the feel on the streets more than downtown Boston. Lower/Midtown Manhattan likely has much more black tourist population compared to Boston and just an overwhelmingly more diverse and global tourism base overall. When you look at actual % of black residents there aren't many in those areas, nor in other large swaths of the city and Jersey
Ok thank you for the explanation. I’m very tech-challenged on c-d so I didn’t see the “spoiler”.

However, the second graph showed zip code 10021 and black population of 0.28%. It’s understandable because 10021 is ultra exclusive and one of the most expensive zip codes in the U.S. what I was confused was the impression that Manhattan is as white as Beacon Hills (or “80% White”.), as it’s not the impression I got on street level or from going to the local dining/shopping.

I looked up on Manhattan NYC demographic 2023:

(Sources: world population review dot com)

White: 58.9%

Asian: 10.3%

Non-Hispanic White: 50.7%

Black: 15.5%

I agree Manhattan has become much more gentrified and less diverse, I just can’t fathom the “80% White” comment.

I appreciate your clarification though.

Just thought I’d respond as you took the time to write back. I’m now educated on this matter as well so im done asking questions, I don’t wish to derail the Boston thread with my confusion with Manhattan-related comment.

Old 05-29-2023, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Ok thank you for the explanation. I’m very tech-challenged on c-d so I didn’t see the “spoiler”.

However, the second graph showed zip code 10021 and black population of 0.28%. It’s understandable because 10021 is ultra exclusive and one of the most expensive zip codes in the U.S. what I was confused was the impression that Manhattan is as white as Beacon Hills (or “80% White”.), as it’s not the impression I got on street level or from going to the local dining/shopping.

I looked up on Manhattan NYC demographic 2023:

(Sources: world population review dot com)

White: 58.9%

Asian: 10.3%

Non-Hispanic White: 50.7%

Black: 15.5%

I agree Manhattan has become much more gentrified and less diverse, I just can’t fathom the “80% White” comment.

I appreciate your clarification though.

Just thought I’d respond as you took the time to write back. I’m now educated on this matter as well so im done asking questions, I don’t wish to derail the Boston thread with my confusion with Manhattan-related comment.

So Manhattan is 51% white Boston is 44% white

obviously Boston has areas that are over 80% white and objectively and undeniably Manhattan does too but because of Boston's racial stigma you aren't getting black tourist at all in New York you will even in very white areas you'll have a few black tourists... but you have to buy that there are 80% white areas of Manhattan it's not really a debate it just is

Beacon Hill is .16 Square miles... I'm sure there are several .16 Square mile areas in NYC and especially manhattan that are 80% white

You're saying that zip code is ultra exclusive. Well so is really all of downtown Boston, more so beacon hill too. That's what I was saying to ASAB; ALL of downtown baoton save for DTX and Chinatown is ultra exclusive. I don't know of one other city that could say the same about their core and downtown. pretty much any black person that could afford to live there would opt for NYC. Because why wouldn't they? Better for your personal and professional reputation and closer to other back people points south, better weather, better nightlife and so on.

Like I know a couple black businesses downtown and even in Back Bay, but by and large the commercial rent is absurdly high probably not far from NYC at all, maybe worse in some spots. We used to hang out downtown as youth but really only to window shop and get out the house, never stayed too long because you just get tired of walking.

I remember being 18 and a black friend of mine who I knew in Kansas City he had been excepted to Dartmouth and he came to Boston and he told me to meet him downtown- he he wanted to eat somewhere downtown in a restaurant and I was like bro I've never ate at any of these restaurants I don't know where to go so he ended up picking a spot and this was his first time in the city. He ended up picking a very old traditional type restaurant I would have never chosen on my own but he was just raised to value those things (came from a family of lawyers) so I guess it appealed to him. I would've taken him to Roxbury or Dorchester had I had the time.

Old 05-29-2023, 08:46 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,026,863 times
I wrote something really long and it deleted and I have no patience of rewriting, because it was pretty good. lol... but anyway, heres a summarized version of what I wrote.

Cliff notes version:

The 'derail' on New York City is necessary in answering this thread, in my opinion. We seem to be on different pages.

1. New York City is often portrayed on CityData as a city where wealthy young people live in the 'it' neighborhoods and live a luxurious, socially rich life. The reality is NYC is a hustle. Its a poor city, laced together by the blood and sweat of immigrants, POC and those just trying to make ends meet. The NYC portrayed is not 'real New York City', its a glorified version. Every city has this on here, but NYC is often overlooked as a place where people put in working their 60 hours at the bodega a week, or what not. The average New Yorker hasn't been to the Empire State Building or even goes to the Villages. If you are a White/Asian Male, you're experience will be much different than a Black/Latino Female. I have a glorified version of certain cities (Chiefly, Chicago), but I am a white male. My experience is problem vastly different than 90-95% of Chicagoans.

2. New York City is the most segregated city in the northeast, no doubt on that. (Source: https://belonging.berkeley.edu/most-...regated-cities, https://travelnoire.com/most-segregated-cities-us-2021 ) Manhattan may be 50% white, but how integrated is it? Not much at all. I went to college in Upstate New York from 2016 to 2020 and the City kids really stuck to their own people. The Dominicans stuck to the Dominicans. The Puerto Ricans to the Puerto Ricans. The Staten Islanders to the Staten Islanders. The Haitians to the Haitians. I mean, it was the unspoken rule. I am not denying NYC is a great place for POC, its very large and has many opportunities in unique industries... but we simply cannot undermine how extremely segregated NYC, specifically Brooklyn and Manhattan, truly is by comparing it to Boston's Beacon Hill (0.16 square miles) and Back Bay. Neither of which are the 'trendy' spots of Boston, and haven't been since at least the 1990s. We would be doing real New Yorkers a disservice there. It gives the same energy as "I am not a racist... I have two black friends!!".

3. Knowing this, NYC could be a good model for Boston. Both cities are segregated, have segregated neighborhoods, are often over glamourized by resident's and tourists who see the squeaky clean parts of their respective cities, and have a major $$$$ problem. Both are driving out their black populations fast. But as the thread title and posters have said, Boston gets denounced more for their Black community, contributions and really anything.

Old 05-29-2023, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I wrote something really long and it deleted and I have no patience of rewriting, because it was pretty good. lol... but anyway, heres a summarized version of what I wrote.

Cliff notes version:

The 'derail' on New York City is necessary in answering this thread, in my opinion. We seem to be on different pages.

1. New York City is often portrayed on CityData as a city where wealthy young people live in the 'it' neighborhoods and live a luxurious, socially rich life. The reality is NYC is a hustle. Its a poor city, laced together by the blood and sweat of immigrants, POC and those just trying to make ends meet. The NYC portrayed is not 'real New York City', its a glorified version. Every city has this on here, but NYC is often overlooked as a place where people put in working their 60 hours at the bodega a week, or what not. The average New Yorker hasn't been to the Empire State Building or even goes to the Villages. If you are a White/Asian Male, you're experience will be much different than a Black/Latino Female. I have a glorified version of certain cities (Chiefly, Chicago), but I am a white male. My experience is problem vastly different than 90-95% of Chicagoans.

2. New York City is the most segregated city in the northeast, no doubt on that. (Source: https://belonging.berkeley.edu/most-...regated-cities, https://travelnoire.com/most-segregated-cities-us-2021 ) Manhattan may be 50% white, but how integrated is it? Not much at all. I went to college in Upstate New York from 2016 to 2020 and the City kids really stuck to their own people. The Dominicans stuck to the Dominicans. The Puerto Ricans to the Puerto Ricans. The Staten Islanders to the Staten Islanders. The Haitians to the Haitians. I mean, it was the unspoken rule. I am not denying NYC is a great place for POC, its very large and has many opportunities in unique industries... but we simply cannot undermine how extremely segregated NYC, specifically Brooklyn and Manhattan, truly is by comparing it to Boston's Beacon Hill (0.16 square miles) and Back Bay. Neither of which are the 'trendy' spots of Boston, and haven't been since at least the 1990s. We would be doing real New Yorkers a disservice there. It gives the same energy as "I am not a racist... I have two black friends!!".

3. Knowing this, NYC could be a good model for Boston. Both cities are segregated, have segregated neighborhoods, are often over glamourized by resident's and tourists who see the squeaky clean parts of their respective cities, and have a major $$$$ problem. Both are driving out their black populations fast. But as the thread title and posters have said, Boston gets denounced more for their Black community, contributions and really anything.
Good post, although I’m not sure if I agree with you 100%. Not because you’re wrong (you’re not.) but because we have/had very different upbringing/experiences/circles of friends/lifestyle as far as NYC goes.

I didn’t want to “derail” the thread simply because I didn’t want the moderator to delete my posts to “clean the thread”. Simple as that, lol.

I did see that the “segregation” among different ethnic groups, but in my case maybe because I was the “international student”, didn’t grow up in NYC, but as soon as I arrived in NYC from Paris I got involved with a huge group of French telecom engineer students in NYC for their internship, a group of Russian oligarchs’ kids from Fordham, some Japanese kids, Taiwanese kids and then my best friends who dragged me into the partying scene were a girl who grew up in Zurich with Czech parents and a Mexican kid whose parents were the ex soap stars from CDMX (but he grew up in Seattle, whose Dad owned the 1st Starbucks franchise.) My neighbors in SoHo were the retired British rocker, French banker and a Japanese artist/psychic.-my experiences were really organic since I never seek any of these people out, we just met and everything gelled.-it could be that I was very lucky to be in the scene at the right time in the late ‘90s NYC, Downtown NYC was very happening at the time. So truthfully my experiences in NYC were not so much involved with the “local” American kids, I knew them at school, we were friendly and sometimes hung out but my social circle was mostly international transplants, some of which were in NYC for more than 30 yrs. (The retired British rocker.)

I worked mostly for French and American companies in NYC, even that the staff were extremely diverse. I had to speak to my boss in French, talked to my coworkers in English then turned the production people in Mandarin.-in a nutshell it’s my life in NYC, my circle was too international for me to see the real “segregation”. (Maybe they all went home to hang out only with their own people, I don’t know. I was too busy to not hang out with only one kind of people.)

Fashion industry (not garment industry, big difference.) got to be the least discriminatory and least segregated business. Truly no one cares where you are from, as long as you’re good and can deliver.

Your post made a lot of sense because many of your POV is not something I ever experienced so I appreciate the input. I was exactly what you described in your point 1, the first paragraph, lol, but you were so right NYC is a hustle. My experiences probably didn’t count since I never struggled, but that doesn’t mean I don’t agree with you or don’t see your point. I do.

Again, appreciate your Cliff Note. Your Dickensesque view of NYC gives me a lot of thoughts to digest.

Old 05-30-2023, 04:51 AM

12,169 posts, read 8,026,863 times
Quote:
Good post, although I’m not sure if I agree with you 100%. Not because you’re wrong (you’re not.) but because we have/had very different upbringing/experiences/circles of friends/lifestyle as far as NYC goes.

I didn’t want to “derail” the thread simply because I didn’t want the moderator to delete my posts to “clean the thread”. Simple as that, lol.

I did see that the “segregation” among different ethnic groups, but in my case maybe because I was the “international student”, didn’t grow up in NYC, but as soon as I arrived in NYC from Paris I got involved with a huge group of French telecom engineer students in NYC for their internship, a group of Russian oligarchs’ kids from Fordham, some Japanese kids, Taiwanese kids and then my best friends who dragged me into the partying scene were a girl who grew up in Zurich with Czech parents and a Mexican kid whose parents were the ex soap stars from CDMX (but he grew up in Seattle, whose Dad owned the 1st Starbucks franchise.) My neighbors in SoHo were the retired British rocker, French banker and a Japanese artist/psychic.-my experiences were really organic since I never seek any of these people out, we just met and everything gelled.-it could be that I was very lucky to be in the scene at the right time in the late ‘90s NYC, Downtown NYC was very happening at the time. So truthfully my experiences in NYC were not so much involved with the “local” American kids, I knew them at school, we were friendly and sometimes hung out but my social circle was mostly international transplants, some of which were in NYC for more than 30 yrs. (The retired British rocker.)

I worked mostly for French and American companies in NYC, even that the staff were extremely diverse. I had to speak to my boss in French, talked to my coworkers in English then turned the production people in Mandarin.-in a nutshell it’s my life in NYC, my circle was too international for me to see the real “segregation”. (Maybe they all went home to hang out only with their own people, I don’t know. I was too busy to not hang out with only one kind of people.)

Fashion industry (not garment industry, big difference.) got to be the least discriminatory and least segregated business. Truly no one cares where you are from, as long as you’re good and can deliver.

Your post made a lot of sense because many of your POV is not something I ever experienced so I appreciate the input. I was exactly what you described in your point 1, the first paragraph, lol, but you were so right NYC is a hustle. My experiences probably didn’t count since I never struggled, but that doesn’t mean I don’t agree with you or don’t see your point. I do.

Again, appreciate your Cliff Note. Your Dickensesque view of NYC gives me a lot of thoughts to digest.
yeah i wrote this in an angry hustle because I, again, deleted my own post lol. So it probably sounds angrier and less thought absorbed than I originally had.

Old 05-30-2023, 07:07 AM

Quote:

That proved his point...You just named a bunch fi white asian male things like he said lol. None of that is any different than the wealthy/privileged in Boston..at all....really.

Not trying to pick a fight just..look at the ethnicities you listed. I'm willing to bet even the Mexican was white...

But from what I hear and read the fashion industry is extremely racial/racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston