Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 07:58 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,915,325 times

Advertisements

Well, okay, I've liked a lot of Eevee's posts on this forum, so I've got to give her the benefit of the doubt, and acknowledge that some of these are geared toward people of a certain age.

As for those in that age group . . . well, first of all, thanks Dave, for bringing back some memories, and for adding those links in your later post. I had completely forgotten the Boomtown opening song though it came right back when I listened to it on the link. Still can't recall the closing song. The one I remember was the one they played as Rex would ride "into town" (really a Western-looking studio set) from the bunkhouse: "Hoofbeats, hoofbeats, hoofbeats, thunder 'cross a prairie wide . . ."

How about this one, to identify you as a member of that age group: You know that WRKO was once a music channel. In fact, you remember when all the pre- and early-teens kids thought it was THE channel to listen to for rock/pop. Bonus if you remember the jingle . . . "Sixty-eight RKO . . . Bos-ton."

Then there's this: Not only can you pronounce "Yastrzemski," but you remember the brand name of the bread named for Yastrzemski. And you remember the Carl Yastrzemski song. You also know you're from Boston, and in that mature age group, if you cheered Yaz as the great hero of the day, then booed him a few years later when he never again had a year like That Season, then a few years after that went back to cheering him as he mellowed with age and you realized and appreciated what a great career you had been watching all those years.

Okay, speaking of the Sox, with their history of heartbreak, you know you're from Boston if you remember these (and which ones you remember tells something about your age): when Lonborg went on two days' rest; when Aparicio stumbled rounding third; when you were sure that the late-August series against the rockin' A's was a playoff preview (um, nope); Ed bleeping Armbrister; when Loo-ee threw 163 pitches in one game; when "he" made the mistake of taking out Willoughby; Bucky bleeping Dent; when "he" made the mistake of leaving in Buckner. And, for the younger crowd, you're most likely from Boston if you not only remember, but have your deep dark nights haunted by, the time "he" made the mistake of leaving in Pedro, which led to Aaron bleeping Boone. And of course, there's a good chance that you're from Boston if you know who all those "he"'s were who made all those tragic mistakes.

Okay, here's one for any generation: You're most likely from Boston if you go into one of those local sub shops, and the feature item on the menu is called a "grinder."

Also, those of any age know they're from Boston if they know who "Dicky" is.

Speaking of Dicky, you're most likely of at least moderately mature years if you know from personal observation that Channel 5 really did at one time have wethermen before Dicky joined the crew. Speaking of weathermen, I do remember Don Kent. Have to admit that I don't recall Willie Whistle or Big Mattress, but I do remember Don.

One more thought: It's a small world at times. Just a couple of years ago, I learned that one of my nephew's best friends is Major Mudd's grandson.

Last edited by ogre; 09-29-2008 at 08:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 08:32 PM

Default a few more . . .

You know you're from Boston:

If you know the difference between 128 and I-95.

You not only have heard of Walden Pond, but you've gone swimming there.

It's blasphemy for that arena on the second floor of North Station to be called anything but The Garden.

You know that John Hannah was the greatest offensive lineman in the history of professional football. Period.

You understand that it is possible for a pair of brothers who happen to be a couple of aging hippies who own a furniture company to be big-time celebrities.

Speaking of the earlier post about going to Plymouth on a field trip as a kid, you know you're from Boston if you have been to Old North Church, Plymouth Plantation, the Lexington Battle Green, and/or the battleground at Concord, but only on a school field trip, or when you were with friends who were visiting from out of town when they wanted to see the main sights they assumed everyone goes to around Boston.

Last edited by ogre; 09-29-2008 at 08:41 PM..

Old 09-30-2008, 03:45 AM

41 posts, read 308,616 times
You know you're from Boston when someone asks you "where are you from?" and you answer "Boston".

Old 09-30-2008, 08:35 AM

1,126 posts, read 4,563,175 times
oman the jukebox's in papa gino's LMAO thats where everybody had thier bday parties growing up

Old 10-01-2008, 06:50 PM

Okay, it was too late to edit when I decided that my reference to Barry and Eliot was kind of long-winded, so I'll add the edited version here:

You know you're from Boston if:

. . . you understand that it's possible for a couple of old hippies who own a furniture company to become celebrities.

A few more:

. . . you think of Plymouth, Lexington, Concord, and Salem first as real towns where people actually live, and only second as historical sites.

. . . there has ever been an afternoon in mid-April when you have stood by a roadside and suddenly gotten choked up just because a bunch of people in shorts ran past.

. . . you no longer ask what The 1812 Overture has to do with the Fourth of July; you simply listen and enjoy.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:40 AM

31 posts, read 216,778 times
I dont mean to get too personal, but eevee, where exactly did you grow up?!??!!? I can't comprehend how you wouldn't understand this

Old 10-02-2008, 09:53 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enpan13 View Post
I dont mean to get too personal, but eevee, where exactly did you grow up?!??!!? I can't comprehend how you wouldn't understand this
born at Boston City Hosptial, mostly grew up in Roxbury in Egleston Sq (right near the corner of Walnut Ave and Seaver near the playground), but lived in Dorchester (Uphams Corner, the pink house near the Strand Theatre if you really want to know) and Mattapan (the housing community off of Cummings Highway). went to St. Joseph's elemntary school as a kid, to BLA for high school, and basically spent the first 23 years of my life in Boston.

I never said I can't "comprehend" the list, just said the list was stupid and it was stupid to ASSume every single Bostonian would know everything about it. I know it's supposed to be a fun thing, sorry I ruined it (I was in a grumpy mood when i originally posted here), but I stand by my earlier points that it's a skewed list. plus, it's been popping up on some Boston based forum every few months for years (think I first saw this list in 2004), so it would have been nice for something original, but not nitpicking on that.

like I said, lots of stuff on that list is very true, most of it is only true if you grew up in a certain generation. don't see why I have to defend myself against you for stating my opinion about a dumb list. I'd like to think my contributions to this forum proves where I grew up (yeah, I'm from Kalamazoo MI, born and raised and never left, I just know a LOT about Boston so just post here )

Old 10-06-2008, 07:07 AM

70 posts, read 340,485 times
Well, I grew up in RI and worked in MA for some years. I can relate to almost all of the things on that list. Not just the sports ones either. Living in the Houston area now. Quite a different place than Boston....

Old 10-10-2008, 11:05 PM

49 posts, read 188,504 times
DaveV- Love it, Love it, Love it!!! I sent it to all of my friends. Excellent!!!!

Old 10-11-2008, 06:11 PM

2 posts, read 6,852 times
That was pretty funny. and i LOL'ed at #22.
But that is exactly why i want to leave after 50 years of living here.That, and as a working class guy(proud to be a carpenter, with college degree, btw), I can't afford to live here anymore.("Here" meaning Somerville, which has become the new Cambridge, sadly.)
Honestly the things that you celebrate have become part of the reason for wanting to move on. The pride in selfish hostile acts and willful parochial ignorance make this one hostile place to try and survive.
Anyway i guess I'm gettin' old and cranky, but i seem to be in the same or older age group. here's a few more:
Creature double feature with FEEP, pre: ale Dorman, who let's face it was a total chump, except for the trophy wife !
Pleasure Island in Wakefied/
I preferred the Intermission Lounge to the 2 o'clock lounge, but hey, whatevah.
the old Park Sq before renewal included the Playboy Club! ...the Hillbilly Ranch!!!...and OMG!...the Turkish Baths!!!

peace
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston