Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 05:29 PM

345 posts, read 1,016,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Because it is an attractive and popular city with a growing population and a dynamic economy based on education,medicine,technology,research and finance, where more people want in than want out.

It is one of the very few older US cities that is not dying but thriving.The list of US cities that are dying and shrinking is almost endless.People from elsewhere and around the world don't want to move to them and 1/2 the people who are born in them want to leave.Boston has a fresh supply of people from all around the world every year who come and decide to stay.

It's a simple matter of supply and demand as in any marketplace.
It's economy NOW (2011) STINKS!!! Unless you have a talent/career in which you make a VERY GOOD living...DON'T MOVE HERE!!!! You'll be....SOOOORRRRYYYY!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 07:19 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Even in this economy, Boston is a better value to live in than most parts of the country. At least we have decent well-paying job opportunities. And there are lots of part time job opportunities available as well.

Boston is not the place for those that aren't willing to hustle and push themselves to make money. It's not the place for anyone that wants to loaf around and focus more on non-work activities like partying late.

My boyfriend would prefer to live in a more rural area like NH or one around NC, but the move is not for me. Sure, the cost of living would be much much cheaper all around, but the income opportunities are just not there for me, and for him. And at my age, I'm not going to become a farmer. But no place is perfect for everyone and there are many different paths in life to take.

My feeling is that when one is a working adult, Boston is the perfect place to live and bust @ss making money, and making sacrifices to be able to invest it a house and a retirement fund while not spending it on frivolities like fancy new cars or the latest in electronics. Then for retirement, one sells the house and lives in a cheaper part of the country.

Again, the places that are cheaper to live at are also the ones that don't have the well-paying jobs and careers.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:42 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,651,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
I imagine that population density has a significant effect. Boston and its inner suburbs, and some suburbs not so close to the city, are very densely populated. I'd speculate that this has at least a couple of causes: 1) Many cities in this area had much of their growth before the existence or widespread use of the automobile, so they developed as densely packed centers of population convenient for walking and the use of public transit; 2) Historically, maritime trade was a mainstay of New England's economy, so much population packed into the prosperous port towns along the coast.

With the growth of auto-based suburbia, people moved into lightly populated areas precisely because there was lots of space. The dense concentration of population near the coast left plenty of sparsely populated areas available for suburban growth just a few miles inland. With low population density viewed as an attraction, people who moved into these formerly rural areas created ordinances to maintain open space, such as keeping some areas natural and undeveloped, and zoning for relatively large lot sizes. Thus a pattern of dense centers of population with relatively lightly populated spaces in between has been perpetuated. Then the law of supply and demand takes over. Demand for open space was high, which drove up the price of suburban properties. At the same time, the supply of available land per person is low in the densely populated coastal areas and old industrial cities, which again drives up property costs.
Spot on. The reason Massachusetts in general stays expensive is because of the lack of buildable land. There isn't a lot of places left you can build, and where you think you can, there are strict zoning and environmental laws that make it very difficult. So it goes back to supply and demand, but in the Boston area it has more to do with the lack of supply. People are not really coming to the Boston area in high numbers compared to other parts of the country. It basically amounts to the scarcity of land. Think of it almost like an island where there is only so much space to go.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:37 AM

28 posts, read 65,015 times
For me part of why Boston is expensive is you have a great city with much to offer, yet on a scale
that makes it livable. I have lived in Philly and NYC, and Boston is in a league of it's own, when it comes to cities in the USA.

In the case of Philly, you have what could be a great city, but for many young professionals living in center city is viewed as a stepping stone, and once they get to their 30's they bolt to towns on the Main Line. Center City residents are also notorious for not supporting center city retail and as a result you have a city with limited retail options. You also have the crime issue, and in the past 2 years bad "flash mobs" have been a real issue.

Teen fight breaks out in Center City as cameras roll | 6abc.com

Ken

Old 03-21-2011, 06:45 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,017,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krapug1 View Post
For me part of why Boston is expensive is you have a great city with much to offer, yet on a scale
that makes it livable. I have lived in Philly and NYC, and Boston is in a league of it's own, when it comes to cities in the USA.

In the case of Philly, you have what could be a great city, but for many young professionals living in center city is viewed as a stepping stone, and once they get to their 30's they bolt to towns on the Main Line. Center City residents are also notorious for not supporting center city retail and as a result you have a city with limited retail options. You also have the crime issue, and in the past 2 years bad "flash mobs" have been a real issue.

Teen fight breaks out in Center City as cameras roll | 6abc.com

Ken
what are flash mobs?

Old 03-22-2011, 02:58 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,917,593 times
Default Flash Mobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
what are flash mobs?
It's a phenomenon that has been around for a few years. You might have heard about this even if the term's name sounds unfamiliar. It's where word spreads over the internet that anyone getting the message is requested to appear at a certain time and place to perform some action as a group. From what I understand, the idea is usually to do something absurd, quirky, or pointless, then quickly disperse, but occasionally, as might be expected when a group of people suddenly gathers, and given that particiapants, I suspect, tend to be on the young and rowdy side, one of these things will turn into a melee. Even if nothing destructive develops, sometimes whatever silly behavior the internet message has instructed the mob to display can disrupt the normal flow of business or traffic. According to the article linked to below, they've had several incidents in Philly where flash mobs got violent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_mob

Old 03-22-2011, 09:18 AM

28 posts, read 65,015 times
In the past these "bad" flash mobs were referred as Thug Packs, or Wolf Packs.

Center City has become an easy target, as you have very troubled areas only blocks away from
the main business areas.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/25/us/25mobs.html

LOVE Park shut down by threat of 'flash mob' | PhillyConfidential | 03/18/2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtOgrB4ZkgY

Old 03-26-2011, 02:07 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,611,888 times
Boston, like Chicago, is a regional hub. The allure of being a big city will draw small town folks, career minded folks etc. to it and keep real estate prices high.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:06 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,909,858 times
Because we're awesome
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston