Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 09:18 AM

279 posts, read 589,675 times

Advertisements

Have to commute daily to New England School of Law (stuart st). Upon looking for places to rent I am wondering what the commute would be like from some of them.

Lakeville
Natick
Easton
Stoughton

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 01:26 PM

93 posts, read 404,682 times
Default Commutes

Hi,
Lakeville is VERY far from downtown Boston; didn't know of anyone making that kind of drive when I worked there; it's maybe a 2 hr drive during rush hour.

Easton is probably 40 minutes without traffic; up to 2 hrs with traffic; Natick perhaps 30 minutes without traffic and 75 minutes with traffic; Stoughton perhaps the same.

Seriously, driving in/out of downtown Boston during rush hour is very bad news; either try to have public transportation available or live within as short driving distance as possible. Rush hour traffic in/around Boston is often at 5 mph.

If you can take the commuter rail, you can get to the law school in perhaps 45 minutes from Natick or Stoughton. Easton does not have its own commuter rail station. Be aware that commuter rail lots in some towns fill early, so getting a parking spot can be a problem in many places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellenbosley View Post
Have to commute daily to New England School of Law (stuart st). Upon looking for places to rent I am wondering what the commute would be like from some of them.

Lakeville
Natick
Easton
Stoughton

Thanks!

Old 05-18-2010, 02:08 PM

Right. Sorry, I should've been more clear. I was looking for an idea of commuting time on the rail, not driving.

Old 05-18-2010, 03:08 PM

93 posts, read 404,682 times
Hi.
MBTA.com > Commuter Rail Maps and Schedules

will give you the info you need. It's probably 45 minutes from when you get on the commuter rail to when you get to NESL from any of your listed towns.

Criteria to consider:
1. do you want to walk or drive to a commuter rail stop? Parking is about $4/day at many stops.
2. what time are your classes? See how the rail schedules match your class schedule

I don't see much walkable residential housing near the Stoughton rail line; not sure about Natick. Norwood and Westwood (Islington) do have walkable housing near their commuter rail stations.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:12 PM

Have no clue yet what the class schedule will be like. Wish I did!

Old 05-18-2010, 08:31 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,910,204 times
Jlyang beat me to it on providing the link to the MBTA website. Agree with what others have said--a driving commute from Easton or Lakeville would be really bad. Better from Natick or Stoughton but still slower than you might think if you look only at distance, due to traffic.

If you're leaning toward using commuter rail, that would be a good idea so long as you'll be on a regualr schedule that coordinates well with the train schedules. Choosing between the towns you're asking about, the best bets would be Stoughton or Natick, taking the train to Back Bay station.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:51 PM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times
Lakeville has apartment housing at the station. Quiet, semi-rural/suburban town (pretty). Still, it's about 1.5 hours via rail (inc. transfers to subway or walking time) to get to NESL from Lakeville. Lots of people commute daily out of Lakeville, but it's a pain (my father continues to do it to this day).

You'd be better off in Natick or Stoughton.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:58 AM

11 posts, read 21,441 times
The town of Sharon also has it's own commuter rail stop with parking, and also a few really nice rental communities in a very reasonable distance from the commuter rail. It's a very nice town and the train from Sharon takes about 30 min to South Station (less if you go to Back Bay).

Old 06-01-2010, 04:44 AM

368 posts, read 1,388,168 times
Sharon rentals are WAY overpriced, and Sharon isn't really a town for a college student, unless the OP has family and needs some of the amenities that Sharon offers.

I would think Mansfield would be a much better choice. There are small apartment houses near enough to the commuter rail to walk, and somewhat of a younger, single feel (I say this a bit toungue in cheek compared to the actual single life available in other places) than Sharon.

I agree that Stoughton is a good option, as well.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:43 AM

We are actually looking for a more family feel. Not single, and we have two young children. Thanks though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston