Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 11:32 AM

6 posts, read 83,090 times

Advertisements

My family is looking to move to Boulder or Aspen, CO. I have heard that these towns are snooty, stuck-up, and full of rich people. Is this true? I have 2 children and I don't know if this is what I want them to grow up in. Thank you!

I posted a thread before this, asking if Boulder was snobby, and people said not really, that it's just a hippie/liberal area. I've searched alot of the threads and many people haven't recommened it to people looking to move to Colorado. Why's that?

Someone also said that is was a dump. Is this not a good place to live? I understand that it's a college town, but I'm okay with that. If you could, please let me know why people don't recommend Boulder.

Thank you!

Last edited by Mike from back east; 11-05-2006 at 10:41 AM.. Reason: Merging duplicate posts from same poster

Old 10-29-2006, 05:57 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
I personally do think there is a bit of an elitist feel to both these places.
Just being able to *afford* living there creates an upper crust tone in the first place. However, I am not sure that snooty is exactly the proper adjective.
There is a certain lifestyle associated with Boulder or Aspen, sort of an outdoorsy hippie aristocracy.

Old 10-29-2006, 07:14 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,430,278 times
average home price in Boulder is $365,000 average price in Aspen $834,000.

Old 10-30-2006, 01:26 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,469,948 times
Default Not tremendously

I've never been to Aspen but I lived in Boulder for about 8 months. I never found it particularly snooty, in fact, it's a very casual town in many respects. Obviously there are people with money here, but there also "regular folk". The great thing about Boulder is that there's always something going on in town and it's either free or affordable, the community is very involved in local politics and issues. The downside is I'm not sure there's much to do for teenagers, but I'm not a parent so take that with a pinch of salt.

Old 10-30-2006, 08:17 PM

616 posts, read 3,004,740 times
Hadn't been to Aspen, but I went to CU in Boulder. CU is a big university and does have a bit of a party school rep, if that makes any difference to you. Boulder is also known as a very liberal town. If you are more conservative, that may rub you the wrong way.

I wouldn't say that it is snooty or snobby in general, but you occasionally bump into those types anywhere you go.

Old 11-04-2006, 02:31 AM

469 posts, read 2,736,342 times
I visited my friend (a Boulder native) there last year. Beautiful town right near the mountains. According to my friend, Boulder is just very clique-ish. It's hard to integrate because everyone has their own little group of friends they've had since they were all in grade-school together, and they do everything together and generally don't welcome newcomers. She says to join lots of activities-type groups to meet new people if you move to Boulder. The university pretty much runs the town, and because of all the college students it's hard to find a job if you're young, inexperienced, and don't have degrees.

Other observations I made from my visit: Boulder is very liberal. As in granola-munching, prairie-dog-loving, natural-fiber-wearing, yoga-practicing, hybrid-car-driving, companion-animal-having, LIBERAL. Despite this, there are no black people there. It seriously creeped me out afterwhile, seeing all these blond, blue-eyed Aryan youths, and not a single black person or even anyone with a tan. Were there never any black people there to begin with? Are they hiding them in a basement somewhere? I dunno. Freaked me out though.

Old 11-04-2006, 03:16 AM

923 posts, read 3,512,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
I personally do think there is a bit of an elitist feel to both these places.
Just being able to *afford* living there creates an upper crust tone in the first place. However, I am not sure that snooty is exactly the proper adjective.
There is a certain lifestyle associated with Boulder or Aspen, sort of an outdoorsy hippie aristocracy.
Well said LOL
Very elitist! And Boulder is a DUMP!! Litter everywhere, lots of Bums-Homeless, etc.
And Aspen is gorgeous but extremely elitist and super expensive!

You need to check them out for yourself...

Old 11-04-2006, 03:18 AM

923 posts, read 3,512,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
average home price in Boulder is $365,000 average price in Aspen $834,000.
$365,000 will get you in the slums!

Old 11-04-2006, 04:40 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippienne View Post
Boulder is very liberal. As in granola-munching, prairie-dog-loving, natural-fiber-wearing, yoga-practicing, hybrid-car-driving, companion-animal-having, LIBERAL. Despite this, there are no black people there. It seriously creeped me out afterwhile, seeing all these blond, blue-eyed Aryan youths, and not a single black person or even anyone with a tan. Were there never any black people there to begin with? Are they hiding them in a basement somewhere? .
heh
They let them join the football team. (Which is a whole other can of worms.)

Old 11-05-2006, 10:53 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HannahB2 View Post
I posted a thread before this, asking if Boulder was snobby, and people said not really, that it's just a hippie/liberal area. I've searched alot of the threads and many people haven't recommened it to people looking to move to Colorado. Why's that? Someone also said that is was a dump. Is this not a good place to live? I understand that it's a college town, but I'm okay with that. If you could, please let me know why people don't recommend Boulder.Thank you!
Hannah: What you're seeing is what we talk about in the rules, different people look at the same thing and get two different results. One sees the glass half full (vibrant, liberal, hip city) and one sees it half empty (too many homeless, high home prices, etc). That being said, you need to jugde for yourself how the info presented here in the postings fits with your own outlook and then you make the call. I suspect you have some experience with pricy areas and university towns. If you're comfortable with the ones you do know, then you'll be comfortable here too, and vice versa.

s/Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area