Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2021, 06:44 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,399,636 times

Advertisements

That fight was weak…the ref was terrible, Wilder was just throwing punches with poor conditioning. Fury putting Wilder in the headlock and throwing punches. A mess. People were just happy to get out of the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2021, 07:26 AM

3,836 posts, read 4,446,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
The third match between the heavyweight champion and a challenger who knocked out 41 men and only lost to the champ doesn't even get someone on a boxing sub forum to create a thread.

If I was coroner I would pronounce the sport dead
it's definitely dead on this forum. That was easily the best fight in years and nary a peep on here. I was thinking about making a thread myself but had things to do.

Sadly though, I think that might be it at least for the heavyweight division. Joshua being exposed again and again has really wrecked what should have been a bunch of hugely profitable superfights between all three guys for the next few years. We could have had the second coming of the 80s in the middleweight division with Duran, Hagler, Hearns and Sugar. Instead, Wilder is a wrap now. And I dont really see anyone excited for Joshua the way they would have if he was undefeated right now.

Old 10-12-2021, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Boxing wasn't dead last night. That was a h_ll of a fight. I had Wilder up after 5 rounds, then Fury started to catch onto the timing of Wilder's punches and did his bob, weave, then unload. The rest is history.

A guy that big shouldn't be that quick. Wilder has heart though, he never stopped punching, just didn't have the legs at the end to hurt Fury with them. I guess he got his wish to "go out on his shield."
Wilder's lack of actual boxing pedigree and training has really caught up to him. And it's not his fault. He didnt take up boxing till he was in his early 20s I believe. And it showed. He just didnt have enough time to really learn the art of boxing, head movement, footwork, developing counter punches. All he had was that one hitter quitter of a right hand. Fine on the street or against tomato cans. Not going to work against skilled experienced boxers. Which is why I was surprised that Fury wasnt better prepared for that in all three fights. Kept getting dropped by that same right hand. But props to both fighters. A great series of fights. Fury is truly top dog now. I think he demolishes Joshua, another late comer to the sport who also relies on heavy punches, but lacks the heart of Wilder.

Old 10-12-2021, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
That fight was weak…the ref was terrible, Wilder was just throwing punches with poor conditioning. Fury putting Wilder in the headlock and throwing punches. A mess. People were just happy to get out of the house.
Yeah Wilder's camp really had me scratching my head. They eliminated Wilder's one advantage being his better athletic stamina by making him bulk up so much and it really affected him. I would have thought the game plan would be to try and tire Fury out, make him move non stop around the ring and then try and sneak in for the right hand from time to time. Instead he slowed down to Fury's speed, played right into his hands.

Old 10-12-2021, 08:00 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,035,458 times
Fury is an all round fabulous boxer he also has the one thing that you can't train for - the ability to get hit and not get knocked out! You can train all you wan't but if you have a 'glass jaw' (like Frank Bruno for instance) you will always have a weakness. I understand that this Wilder guy is one of the hardest hitters, a guy who has knocked out all of his other opponents and yet even when he caught Fury with punches that put 'other' fighters to sleep Fury simply kept on standing back up! I reckon if you hit Fury with a ten ton truck the truck would come off worse! Fury doesn't even seem to need to train hard to be what he is, he has a 'dad bod' and basically spends his life drinking and having a good time! Other fighters can train all they want, they can train until they have the biggest shiniest of muscles but it doesn't seem to make any difference. Fury is a freak of nature, simply put he is just naturally 'as hard as a coffin nail'!

If Fury was an American he would probably be all over this forum.

Old 10-12-2021, 10:27 AM

7,022 posts, read 11,320,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Wilder's lack of actual boxing pedigree and training has really caught up to him. And it's not his fault. He didnt take up boxing till he was in his early 20s I believe. And it showed. He just didnt have enough time to really learn the art of boxing, head movement, footwork, developing counter punches. All he had was that one hitter quitter of a right hand. Fine on the street or against tomato cans. Not going to work against skilled experienced boxers. Which is why I was surprised that Fury wasnt better prepared for that in all three fights. Kept getting dropped by that same right hand. But props to both fighters. A great series of fights. Fury is truly top dog now. I think he demolishes Joshua, another late comer to the sport who also relies on heavy punches, but lacks the heart of Wilder.
Fury looked rather composed on both of his knockdowns, almost like he was taking a breather. I wonder if he wasn't trained to hit the deck if he took a hard blow rather than stay upright, staggered, and at risk of getting caught with another.

To the other posters, I keep thinking that each time Fury shows up looking flabby that he hasn't trained is about to go out there and take a quick dive, but it hasn't happened yet. I think that "fat suit" is purposeful. In a fight where he is allowed to lean on his opponent and push them around the ring, that extra weight hurts them more than him.

I liked the ref, he let the two guys go at it inside, and both seemed to have bulked up for that kind of close quarters fight.

Old 10-12-2021, 10:49 AM

Wilder has to improve his boxing skills; more jabs, more combos are needed with of course more stamina. That power punch that he televises 10 times a round isn’t enough, the scouting report has been out on him for a minute and the *** is up. Hopefully he can bounce back as a better boxer in the future.

Old 10-13-2021, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
Wilder has to improve his boxing skills; more jabs, more combos are needed with of course more stamina. That power punch that he televises 10 times a round isn’t enough, the scouting report has been out on him for a minute and the *** is up. Hopefully he can bounce back as a better boxer in the future.
He's 36 now. I think he's about as good as he's ever going to be. He just doesnt have the time to begin rebuilding his boxing technique. For someone with such a late start, he can be proud of himself. He made it all the way to the top. Not bad for a guy who was a full time football player out of high school.

Old 10-13-2021, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Fury looked rather composed on both of his knockdowns, almost like he was taking a breather. I wonder if he wasn't trained to hit the deck if he took a hard blow rather than stay upright, staggered, and at risk of getting caught with another.

To the other posters, I keep thinking that each time Fury shows up looking flabby that he hasn't trained is about to go out there and take a quick dive, but it hasn't happened yet. I think that "fat suit" is purposeful. In a fight where he is allowed to lean on his opponent and push them around the ring, that extra weight hurts them more than him.

I liked the ref, he let the two guys go at it inside, and both seemed to have bulked up for that kind of close quarters fight.
Yes Fury's body defies belief. He looks like anything but a boxer, yet he has succeeded in spite of it.

Old 10-13-2021, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
He's 36 now. I think he's about as good as he's ever going to be. He just doesnt have the time to begin rebuilding his boxing technique. For someone with such a late start, he can be proud of himself. He made it all the way to the top. Not bad for a guy who was a full time football player out of high school.
Didn’t realize he was that old…welp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing