Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 08:47 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,340,186 times

Advertisements

My interest is in zen........... from a philosophical/psychological pov.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 01:32 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Lune View Post
Buddhist ish...which category do I fall into when I'm Chinese Buddhist? o.o;;
Mahayana.

Old 02-15-2010, 04:21 AM

2,543 posts, read 4,884,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bels7 View Post
I'm a neo-Christian Buddhist-Taoist! With a strong flavor of Zen. Or, in other words, a Christian who embraces the Buddhist moral philosophy and loves the Tao-and-Zen.

Sorry, I'm not actually making light of any of these. I've been practicing two forms of meditation for as long as I can remember. One starts with Christian contemplative prayer, and leads to a certain place. The other, a form of Buddhist meditation, takes me to the very same place.

Is that possible to be both Christian and Buddhist? I like that, if it is!! Awesome! Pleasure and peace in both worlds...Tell me more?

Old 02-15-2010, 09:34 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,647,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinaJo76 View Post
Is that possible to be both Christian and Buddhist? I like that, if it is!! Awesome! Pleasure and peace in both worlds...Tell me more?
It is possible...but to me, it seems a bit contradictory since the Bible do talk about god smiting people and what not while Buddha is against all forms of bloodshed and what not...

I would recommend to try creating another thread that asks about Christian Buddhists for more info

Old 02-16-2010, 02:25 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,116,068 times
actually, LinaJo76, It may be possible that the study of buddhism will give you a deeper understanding of the bible. Keep in mind that God may not be that old man in the sky that Christanity embraces. I hope you find your path.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:03 PM

276 posts, read 747,218 times
What are the differences in the Buddhist communities? Zen, Taoist and others. Someone with knowledge please respond clearly and concisely.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:11 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,334,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsdaughter View Post
actually, LinaJo76, It may be possible that the study of buddhism will give you a deeper understanding of the bible. Keep in mind that God may not be that old man in the sky that Christanity embraces. I hope you find your path.
That's been my experience,

with Christian mystics.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:25 PM

276 posts, read 747,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
QUOTE:
Buddhism has the characteristics of what would be expected in a cosmic religion for the future: it transcends a personal God, avoids dogmas and theology; it covers both the natural & spiritual, and it is based on a religious sense aspiring from the experience of all things, natural and spiritual, as a meaningful unity. - Albert Einstein

E-Sangha [Everything you ever wanted to know about any kind of Buddhism can be found here.]
E-sangha, Buddhist Forum and Buddhism Forum (Powered by Invision Power Board)

North American Dharma Centers
North America - Dharmaweb

the link doesn't work!

Old 03-04-2010, 05:30 PM

2 posts, read 5,439 times
I just posted the following in the Portland thread, and then realized I should have thought to check for an active Buddhist thread ... I would appreciate any advice
Sean

Prayer Flags Illegals!??!?
I just received notice from the leasing office that my Tibetan prayer flags on my porch must be removed. They have been up since I moved in last summer, but the "owners" will be on site and they've asked me to remove them all of the sudden. When I explained what they are the 20-something leasing agents had no clue that these were an expression of my faith not merely decoration. I investigated OR state housing law and didn't find much except for an interesting case where an Albany, OR apt. community tried to ban US flags and quickly reversed their decisions. The lease only mentions "signs or posters". As a practicing Buddhist, I walk a peaceful non-confrontational path and have never been put in this position before. I'm not even sure spiritually how to respond, so I thought I would seek advice from other posters -- legally or spiritually, any advice??

Old 03-04-2010, 08:27 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,381,367 times
Yes, interested in Tibetan Buddhism (not a practitioner but enjoy reading about it's history and practices). I expect that I'll gradually become more interested in other schools of Buddhist thought. Nice thread!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism