Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2024, 01:06 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
No. Once again, your "facts" are "Correct" but everyone elses are not. What a joke. You are not being taken serious.

Please, just answer the question. What, when, where, who, whatever will be investing money in this this "idea", and how it will work.

That's a wide open question. Design what you are talking about. Not what somewhere else has done.
Your first sentence sounds like a personal problem, as that was never stated.

Again, I’m going off of and strictly thinking about the article. You can try to manipulate all you want, but the point others(including those in the article and Urban Peasant) and I are making is understood or is pretty clear in terms of a town center, mixed use type of development.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-12-2024 at 01:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2024, 01:55 PM

5,686 posts, read 4,086,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Your first sentence sounds like a personal problem, as that was never stated.

Again, I’m going off of and strictly thinking about the article. You can try to manipulate all you want, but the point others(including those in the article and Urban Peasant) and I are making is understood or is pretty clear in terms of a town center, mixed use type of development.
So after pages and pages of shouting what "could" be in OP. With all of the different examples, stores, restaurants, etc... you can't put together a perfect town center for all to see? Maybe you do have a great idea, but we'll never know. How much thought could you possibly had to argue like this, without a vision of your own? Please, elaborate...

Old 03-12-2024, 06:31 PM

Quote:
So after pages and pages of shouting what "could" be in OP. With all of the different examples, stores, restaurants, etc... you can't put together a perfect town center for all to see? Maybe you do have a great idea, but we'll never know. How much thought could you possibly had to argue like this, without a vision of your own? Please, elaborate...
Why would I tell a "developer" a whole plan? So you can go and do it without giving any credit to who it came from? Come on now...Especially given that it is ironic that Rochester based Morgan Properties actually manages the apartments at Township 5. So, I'm sure there is a familiarity to what I've been talking about.

Again, for the umpteenth time I'm just giving examples of what could go into that space for year round activity and the type of built environment it can be accomplished in. Some get it, some may not. That's ok.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-12-2024 at 07:23 PM..

Old 03-12-2024, 07:01 PM

NO, you have NOT given an example of that particular place. Orchard Park. Next to the stadium. Every place is unique. It's not a big deal. If you want something to flourish there, why not share? Not many people on here but you and me, and I grant you 100% of the profits.

I've already stated what I think will go there. A fast food restaurant, maybe Moes, a Bills store, which is already there, and maybe a wing or wick restaurant or Bills themed restaurant. Maybe a place for kids to throw a football around. Even still, I don't think those would work 365 days a year without 20,000 new housing units.

Who knows what would become of the existing village if that were to happen?

Old 03-12-2024, 07:37 PM

Quote:
NO, you have NOT given an example of that particular place. Orchard Park. Next to the stadium. Every place is unique. It's not a big deal. If you want something to flourish there, why not share? Not many people on here but you and me, and I grant you 100% of the profits.

I've already stated what I think will go there. A fast food restaurant, maybe Moes, a Bills store, which is already there, and maybe a wing or wick restaurant or Bills themed restaurant. Maybe a place for kids to throw a football around. Even still, I don't think those would work 365 days a year without 20,000 new housing units.

Who knows what would become of the existing village if that were to happen?
Wow..I've shared enough suggestions, while no one else besides Urban Peasant has shared anything.

Well, given that mixed use means housing(retail, lodging, medical, etc.) would be involved, that is the point for all of the suggestions. Hence, the mentioning of housing at certain developments that would makes sense for the land in the article. Same for the suggestions of specific examples/things that would bring year round activity.

From the first part of the article: "As one door closes, another opens.

With SUNY Erie Community College looking to move out of its underused South Campus next door to the new $1.7 billion Buffalo Bills stadium in favor of a smaller site in the area, there may be an opportunity for developers to bring a major attraction, retail and housing or multifloor hotel to the area."

The existing village doesn't have the proximity to the stadium. That is the difference and given that the town of Orchard Park last saw population decline in 1890, you may get more development in the town that would connect the village with the area around the stadium. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orchar...k#Demographics

Just to add, the town of Hamburg may also see development to connect the village of the same name to the stadium area. Keep in mind that the last time that town saw a population decline was 1860. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hambur...k#Demographics

So, you are talking about towns that have not stopped growing for well over a century at 90,000 people combined now and growing. Let alone the hundreds of thousands of other people within 15-20 minutes of the site.

Old 03-12-2024, 08:30 PM

Just to be clear,

You have no ideas, and no developer has come forward to make this investment.

Case closed.

Old 03-12-2024, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Just to be clear,

You have no ideas, and no developer has come forward to make this investment.

Case closed.
It isn't that there are no ideas. It is just a matter of vision or perhaps a lack thereof in regards to things that can viable options for year round development on the land in the article. Again, that is ok.

As the article also mentions, there is interest. So, we'll see.

Old 03-13-2024, 06:25 PM

I was looking at the village of Orchard Park website looking for something else(a CGI video), but came across this petition: https://www.change.org/p/open-a-trad...US%3Acv_852845

In terms of the town center/lifestyle center idea thrown around in the Buffalo News article I posted on here, this may be an example of the type of store that could be a tenant in that type of development near the stadium, as the only Trader Joe's in the Buffalo area is in Amherst.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-13-2024 at 07:16 PM..

Old 03-17-2024, 06:14 PM

6,406 posts, read 4,901,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I was looking at the village of Orchard Park website looking for something else(a CGI video), but came across this petition: https://www.change.org/p/open-a-trad...US%3Acv_852845

In terms of the town center/lifestyle center idea thrown around in the Buffalo News article I posted on here, this may be an example of the type of store that could be a tenant in that type of development near the stadium, as the only Trader Joe's in the Buffalo area is in Amherst.
Trader Joe's will never come to OP. First of all there are not enough people to support it. The one on NF Blvd draws from UB which has 20k students, many are not from the area. Whole Foods is also nearby which tells you something. That Sheridan to i-290 NF Blvd corridor is loaded with retail for a reason. Costco is coming there as well. The Southtowns is primarily a rural area and is quite spread out as far as population density. EA, OP and Hamburg are quaint small towns. The area just can't support much. I know because we had locations all over WNY. There are 2 Trader Joes in the area here, both in well healed areas. I shop there 2-3x/week and the clientele is definitely well off. Buffalo/WNY is more of an no frills ALDI area, where low price competition is more prevalent, including Save a Lot and Price Rite. Nothing will get built around the new stadium because its the same as the old stadium. Developers who are "interested" are seeing what massive subsidies will be thrown at them. 50 years have passed since the stadium was built and nothing has materialized. What makes you think that building the exact same stadium in the same place will change things?

Old 03-17-2024, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Trader Joe's will never come to OP. First of all there are not enough people to support it. The one on NF Blvd draws from UB which has 20k students, many are not from the area. Whole Foods is also nearby which tells you something. That Sheridan to i-290 NF Blvd corridor is loaded with retail for a reason. Costco is coming there as well. The Southtowns is primarily a rural area and is quite spread out as far as population density. EA, OP and Hamburg are quaint small towns. The area just can't support much. I know because we had locations all over WNY. There are 2 Trader Joes in the area here, both in well healed areas. I shop there 2-3x/week and the clientele is definitely well off. Buffalo/WNY is more of an no frills ALDI area, where low price competition is more prevalent, including Save a Lot and Price Rite. Nothing will get built around the new stadium because its the same as the old stadium. Developers who are "interested" are seeing what massive subsidies will be thrown at them. 50 years have passed since the stadium was built and nothing has materialized. What makes you think that building the exact same stadium in the same place will change things?
Well, when there are 90,000 people between the towns(again, key word) of Hamburg and Orchard Park, that is a substantial population. Then, you add surrounding towns, that roughly doubles that population and there are quite a few 6 figure income households in that area of the metro area. So, it may come down to if the area meets the criteria for a store.

In fact, the median household income for the town of Orchard Park is a little over $100,000: https://data.census.gov/profile/Orch...00US3602955277

and for the town of Hamburg, while the median household income is between $78-79,000, 40.8% of households in the town make $100,000 or more according to 2022 5 year US Census data: https://data.census.gov/table/ACSST5...00US3602931654
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area