Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 09:34 AM

14 posts, read 22,742 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at a house over there that I absolutely love but was wondering if anyone has any neighborhood info. It's one block away from the Buffalo city line, but the houses are all nice, well kept up, and it looks like a great place to live. I know that Amherst in general is a safe, nice place to live. I just don't know about that street in particular. Anyone know the area well? I can't seem to get crime stats for that street / Eggertsville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 05:41 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,810,840 times
Try getting stats from the Amherst PD and from the local Buffalo PD ( it would be the NE Station). You are talking about the area of Highgate/Eggert . Eggert, south of Highgate was getting a bad rep years ago...I imagine it isn't much better up the block by Jasper & Mona..

Old 02-04-2009, 06:07 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,855,729 times
shoot me the address or mls address via direct message and I'll be happy to give you all the info that you need, if not tonight - first thing in the morning...........

Old 02-04-2009, 06:51 PM

93,197 posts, read 123,783,345 times
It's North of Highgate by the VA Medical Center.

jasper street, amherst, ny - Google Maps

Old 02-04-2009, 10:58 PM

504 posts, read 1,492,865 times
It's not bad there, perfectly safe. I used to work on Lebrun, Argyle, Lennox, etc and the people there are very nice.

However, in my opinion, the longview for Eggertsville is not good. There's a reason why these houses are going for so cheap. I would not want to invest here.

Just my two cents.

Old 02-05-2009, 06:19 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,855,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It's North of Highgate by the VA Medical Center.

jasper street, amherst, ny - Google Maps

Well if it's the one I am thinking of it's considered Snyder and it's right by LeBrun which is very nice. It's been on the market since September with one price reduction. The schools are Amherst schools, which are not bad. Again, this is if it is the home I am thinking of on Jasper street that is currently up for sale. And if it is the one (assuming it is) It would be on one of two homes on that street that would have sold for that high of a price - all the others have sold in the past for under 100K with the exception of 4, which were a little over 100k

I can't give you absolute specifics without an actual addres or mls - but this is the information that I currently have........

If you need anything else - let me know .

Old 02-05-2009, 02:07 PM

93,197 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrows View Post
It's not bad there, perfectly safe. I used to work on Lebrun, Argyle, Lennox, etc and the people there are very nice.

However, in my opinion, the longview for Eggertsville is not good. There's a reason why these houses are going for so cheap. I would not want to invest here.

Just my two cents.
Has the Eggertsville area gotten rough or something? Isn't the area completely in the Amherst SD?

Old 02-05-2009, 02:30 PM

3,970 posts, read 5,762,977 times
Quote:

Just my two cents.
(This message detracts a little from the post but I have the sudden urge to make the comment. Sorry if I wasted anyone's time in reading it.)

I think this depends on how Buffalo's economy shapes up. From what I hear from everyone else, Eggertsville is still really nice and relatively safe but you are right, its proximity to dangerous Buffalo neighborhoods such as Kensington/Bailey might make its current residents think twice about staying there if the economy continues to decline and urban blight spreads into the suburbs.

On the other hand, if Buffalo's economy shapes up and new jobs are to be found in downtown and at the nearby SUNY South Campus, then Eggertsville will become prime real estate. Its location is so convenient (midway between downtown Buffalo and the center of Amherst and close to two college campuses) that it should be highly sought after. Its own real estate values will go up and might even jack up the real estate in Kensington and University Heights though that is both good and bad.

I might sound optimistic but there are a few other posts in this board that show just as much optimism for Buffalo's economy and safety.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:07 PM

504 posts, read 1,492,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
(This message detracts a little from the post but I have the sudden urge to make the comment. Sorry if I wasted anyone's time in reading it.)

I think this depends on how Buffalo's economy shapes up. From what I hear from everyone else, Eggertsville is still really nice and relatively safe but you are right, its proximity to dangerous Buffalo neighborhoods such as Kensington/Bailey might make its current residents think twice about staying there if the economy continues to decline and urban blight spreads into the suburbs.

On the other hand, if Buffalo's economy shapes up and new jobs are to be found in downtown and at the nearby SUNY South Campus, then Eggertsville will become prime real estate. Its location is so convenient (midway between downtown Buffalo and the center of Amherst and close to two college campuses) that it should be highly sought after. Its own real estate values will go up and might even jack up the real estate in Kensington and University Heights though that is both good and bad.

I might sound optimistic but there are a few other posts in this board that show just as much optimism for Buffalo's economy and safety.
You are optimistic! Wow! I don't pretend to know what's going to happen in Buffalo's future, or even Eggertsville's, but my opinion is it's not going to be great for these first ring suburbs. Kensington/Bailey has been rough for years but poverty has always respected the city line. But like we're currently seeing in Cheektowaga, this might not always be the case. If Buffalo ever starts to improve, I think it will be to the detriment of Kenmore, Eggertsville, West Seneca, Cheektowaga, etc. The bums that get kicked out of gentrifying areas will have to go somewhere.

Also, I disagree that UB's big dreams have anything to do with its South Campus. They are always claiming its a "three campus" plan but I have my doubts. South Campus has been neglected for a long time, and with no room to expand, I don't see that changing. Less and less students in the Heights (and virtually zero professors, for years now!) points to this conclusion, I think.

Old 02-06-2009, 03:12 PM

3,970 posts, read 5,762,977 times
Quote:
You are optimistic! Wow! I don't pretend to know what's going to happen in Buffalo's future, or even Eggertsville's, but my opinion is it's not going to be great for these first ring suburbs. Kensington/Bailey has been rough for years but poverty has always respected the city line. But like we're currently seeing in Cheektowaga, this might not always be the case. If Buffalo ever starts to improve, I think it will be to the detriment of Kenmore, Eggertsville, West Seneca, Cheektowaga, etc. The bums that get kicked out of gentrifying areas will have to go somewhere.

Also, I disagree that UB's big dreams have anything to do with its South Campus. They are always claiming its a "three campus" plan but I have my doubts. South Campus has been neglected for a long time, and with no room to expand, I don't see that changing. Less and less students in the Heights (and virtually zero professors, for years now!) points to this conclusion, I think.
Sad to hear about South Campus. I very nearly applied to UB's urban planning program which is located at that campus and so I would have to have lived and gone to school in that area but changed my mind after learning that the campus used to be the city asylum (sorry, for superstitious reasons I do not like to go near such places).

All right, so the eastern part of Cheektowaga is going in decline but that's because the criminal activity currently exists near it. Now imagine parts of Buffalo's east side getting gentrified to such a degree that housing and rental prices skyrocket and much of its current inhabitants forced to move elsewhere. You said it yourself, the bums that get kicked out of the gentrifying areas will have to go elsewhere, which is both a good and bad thing. Its good that the area will become much safer and pleasant to live in but bad in that long time low income inhabitants are forced to move out. It has happened here in Boston where many low income residents got displaced from gentrifying neighborhoods and forced to relocate to poorer outer-ring suburbs and exurbs like Brockton, Lynn, and Randolph. In the end, it might not be Amherst, Tonowanda, Cheektowaga, or even Buffalo that will bear the brunt of crime and poverty but outlying exurbs like Lockport, North Tonowanda, and Niagara Falls. This of course all depends on the remaking of Buffalo's downtown, Buffalo's job market, Buffalo's law enforcement, and most of all Buffalo's economy and well being. I definitely would not discount any inner suburbs yet unless their situation becomes really dangerous and uncomfortable to invest in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area