Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many stars?
One star 13 30.95%
Two star 9 21.43%
Three star 15 35.71%
Four star 3 7.14%
Five star 2 4.76%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 05:27 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,770,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese9988 View Post

Unless the state/city gives out HUGE tax rebates, no company is going to want to relocate here.
I mentioned something similar in another post. A professor at my college alma mater stated that Buffalo needs to be more business friendly and help businesses start up quickly, whether they are opening branches or starting up headquarters there. That is what businesses really want and tax breaks can perhaps help but you can discount 10%, 15%, even 25% off the company's taxes and they still won't move to the city if the city government does not help them start up.

As you guys were just now mentioning about restaurants, its just like being served at a restaurant. With a very friendly staff, quick service, and a comfortable atmosphere, you will be more than willing to pay more, even if it is in the form of giving double the tips to the waiter/waitress. If the staff is cold and unfriendly and the atmosphere dull and uneventful, I bet you won't even want to shell out 5 bucks for a meal and it will be the last time you visit that place. Just like that, a city government has to be welcoming to new businesses. If it is cold or even lukewarm, then new businesses will not want to stick around and they will go elsewhere.

Right now, there is hope for Buffalo in that there is new construction going up in downtown (as someone else in this forum had said) and hopefully that translates into more businesses moving in. The last thing a city wants are newly built vacant highrises that no one wants to occupy. That would be a waste of money and space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 03:47 PM

504 posts, read 1,493,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
I've never eaten there, but I heard the same. I've seen it and the decor isn't very nice, especially for the price.

When you look at the their menu it says "not responsible for steaks ordered well-done."

What is that crap? What kind of cook can't prepare a steak well?
I think you'll agree with me that, for some reason, places in Buffalo that are mediocre (or just flat out bad) are able to stay open long after they should have been driven out of business. Shanghai Red's springs to mind.

I'd like to know who decided EB Green's was among the top 5 steakhouses in the country.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:25 PM

1,515 posts, read 3,332,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrows View Post
I think you'll agree with me that, for some reason, places in Buffalo that are mediocre (or just flat out bad) are able to stay open long after they should have been driven out of business. Shanghai Red's springs to mind.

I'd like to know who decided EB Green's was among the top 5 steakhouses in the country.
It's some little newsletter that no one cares about. Not anything most people have heard of.

Old 08-14-2009, 06:20 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,368,434 times
Quote:
I've never eaten there, but I heard the same. I've seen it and the decor isn't very nice, especially for the price.

When you look at the their menu it says "not responsible for steaks ordered well-done."

What is that crap? What kind of cook can't prepare a steak well?
Thats common, even Berns has the same statement. If you want a steak well done you aren't there for steak.

Old 08-14-2009, 06:51 PM

1,293 posts, read 4,998,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Town&Country View Post
Thats common, even Berns has the same statement. If you want a steak well done you aren't there for steak.
+1 just cut the antlers off.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,653 times
I gave Buffalo a 2 star. All the shootings in the city need to stop. That's why respectable people, both, black and white are moving out. It will take more than just the mayor and the government. It will take everyone to cooperate to get this violence out of this city. Once that is done, I may raise my rating.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:25 PM

1,515 posts, read 3,332,506 times
Sorry to tell you, but it's not the Whites doing the shooting.

It's the Black community that needs to stop killing each other and get it's act together... and no, it's not "caused by poverty," before someone tries that dumb line

Old 08-20-2009, 04:50 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Sorry to tell you, but it's not the Whites doing the shooting.

It's the Black community that needs to stop killing each other and get it's act together... and no, it's not "caused by poverty," before someone tries that dumb line
What's causing it there?

Old 08-20-2009, 05:56 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,545,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What's causing it there?

Drug deals & crime ...... which is driven by poverty

Old 08-20-2009, 05:57 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,545,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Town&Country View Post
Exactly, if you need to have your steak well done to eat it what's the point? Might as well stick to the burgers & leave the steaks for the big boys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area