Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 11:25 AM

35 posts, read 122,658 times

Advertisements

We're a family currently living in the Upper Valley (Dartmouth) area wanting to relocate to Burlington area in summer 2008. We'd like a middle class or mixed community with good schools, close to a hospital. My husband is a graduating RN and I work from home in my own small business. We would like someplace with a village feel, where we could live 1 mile outside the village with some privacy, but other homes nearby for the kids, and able to walk or bike with kids to schools. (Currently we're isolated in a very rural area) A single family home, priced under 350K. Being near a health club would be a plus, but close to hospitals most important for my husband's commute and the children have a medical condition.

I have been following another similar thread with interest, but that couple had something like 500-700K to spend on a home - our budget is smaller. Maybe up to 350K. Depends on what our home would sell for here. We will have a lot of equity when we sell here, because I bought low 10 years ago with a big downpayment. But our home might only sell for 250K.

Thanks for any advice - someone suggested Williston but so many others sound nice. I want a mixed community as our income is "middle income" and I want my kids to feel the same as their peers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 01:17 PM

155 posts, read 614,005 times
I would look more to Essex Junction or outside the village area into Essex. We are trying to secure a place in Essex Junction to move early in April. The area has top rated schools and good bit of what else you are looking for including a large hospital.

The only down side is taxes. Since we will be renting this issue does not effect us but since you will be buying it would be a consideration for you. The Essex Junction area taxes have been increased this year a good bit. Though I know there is still homestead rates for full time Vermont residents that should help out some though.

Old 03-17-2008, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermont08 View Post
I would look more to Essex Junction or outside the village area into Essex. We are trying to secure a place in Essex Junction to move early in April. The area has top rated schools and good bit of what else you are looking for including a large hospital.

The only down side is taxes. Since we will be renting this issue does not effect us but since you will be buying it would be a consideration for you. The Essex Junction area taxes have been increased this year a good bit. Though I know there is still homestead rates for full time Vermont residents that should help out some though.
Thanks for the quick reply! I did look at real estate and they have some nice properties there, though it looks like it's a long way out from the highway and Burlington itself (that was just a glance at the map, and I dont know the area well).

The property taxes, I think, will be an issue ANYWHERE in VT, I know they already are here. We fall into the income range (30-80k?) where we get a prebate, which helps offset our property taxes but that may be less true once my husband graduates with his RN and is working again. I read on some other post here where someone complained that voters pass these huge budgets without seeming to think of the effect on taxes; well that is a very hot issue "down" here (70 miles away) right now.

Old 03-17-2008, 05:29 PM

155 posts, read 614,005 times
Essex Junction is not far away at all. It only takes 15-20 min. from Burlington during non peak times and a little longer during rush.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:13 AM

Hi Vermont08,

Thanks for writing. I am worried that if we bought in Essex, based on some other comments in the forum - that if IBM shuts down there, the area could become seriously depressed, and then we might have difficulty ever selling, or would have to wait until some other industry took over there. However, I did see a gorgeous older home for sale there.

I just spoke to a physician friend who moved to UVM and lives in So. Burlington and she said we could afford an older home or starter home for maybe 330K there, (she herself bought into a subdivision for 500K, which is over our own budget). But I don't mind living in a starter home, if it's clean and modernized and somewhat well built. Small is OK. We live in a 1200 sq foot cape now with 4 (small) bedrooms, and it's fine.

How would you compare (or how would I research) South Burlington from Colchester, Shelburne, Williston, or all those other myriad cities that surround Burlington area?

Old 03-20-2008, 06:00 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,662,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem31708 View Post
Hi Vermont08,

Thanks for writing. I am worried that if we bought in Essex, based on some other comments in the forum - that if IBM shuts down there, the area could become seriously depressed, and then we might have difficulty ever selling, or would have to wait until some other industry took over there. However, I did see a gorgeous older home for sale there.

I just spoke to a physician friend who moved to UVM and lives in So. Burlington and she said we could afford an older home or starter home for maybe 330K there, (she herself bought into a subdivision for 500K, which is over our own budget). But I don't mind living in a starter home, if it's clean and modernized and somewhat well built. Small is OK. We live in a 1200 sq foot cape now with 4 (small) bedrooms, and it's fine.

How would you compare (or how would I research) South Burlington from Colchester, Shelburne, Williston, or all those other myriad cities that surround Burlington area?
If you live only about an hour and a half away take a drive up and spend the day in the area and explore the surrounding towns. I love Essex, but found the traffic can be rough during commute times. There aren't enough major roads in town to cut down on traffic. It's not the Cross Bronx Expressway, but when I needed to get to the hospital(work) quick, it didn't meet my needs. If Burlington is where you want to be close to then look into Burlington or one of the surrounding towns.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:41 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,269,613 times
A friend of mine is house hunting right now and she has found the taxes in Essex Junction to be outrageous - just an FYI. She's found a house in Williston that she really likes which is extremely similar in value, size, etc and the taxes are 3500 dollars less than EJ.
That said, you should be able to find a great house in your price range.
Good luck!!

Old 03-21-2008, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
A friend of mine is house hunting right now and she has found the taxes in Essex Junction to be outrageous - just an FYI. She's found a house in Williston that she really likes which is extremely similar in value, size, etc and the taxes are 3500 dollars less than EJ.
That said, you should be able to find a great house in your price range.
Good luck!!
Thanks to Vter and 68vette again. I think you're right, we are only a 90 min drive and should take a day (once these frost heaves let up!) and drive up and explore. I believe the nursing salaries should be higher and jobs more varied in that area too (for my husband who is graduating with an RN - a mid life career change from engineering)..

Williston is a fairly long commute into Burlington, isn't it? Is there a hospital there? How close is it to shopping? Since we've been "too rural" here I would seek to move to a more central location. Avoiding traffic jams on small roads is a good idea too. It must be funny for people from more built up areas to move here and realize you have these traffic jams even in the country because the roads are so small with so man y commuters hitting them all at once!

Old 03-21-2008, 08:48 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,269,613 times
Williston is right next to Burlington. You can be at the hospital in 10-15 minutes depending on where in town you are. Williston has plenty of shopping.

Last edited by vter; 03-21-2008 at 09:44 AM..

Old 03-21-2008, 06:21 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,662,640 times
Williston is close by to Burlington. There is plenty of shopping in Williston. In fact all the big box stores and then some are located there. The only hospital in the area is Fletcher Allen Health Care in Burlington. It's a level one trauma center and the only Tertiary care facility in the region outside of Dartmouth. There are always jobs available for nurses and the pay is very good as far as Vermont salaries are concerned. My wife and I both work there so if your husband has any questions feel free to ask. The website is Fletcher Allen Health Care | Academic Medical Center in Burlington, Vermont | Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT