Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2023, 11:35 AM

4,394 posts, read 4,282,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
We know the difference, friend. We are concerned we may wind up like other liberal run cities.
Pretty much every city in the U.S is liberally run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2023, 01:45 PM

639 posts, read 377,993 times
Quote:
We know the difference, friend. We are concerned we may wind up like other liberal run cities.
Economically vibrant? Good problem to have.

Old 08-03-2023, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Pretty much every city in the U.S is liberally run.
Tulsa isn't. Not much of a city, same problems (generally worse even) as other cities.

Of course, most of the problems in those cities aren't created by the cities. Like California and the homeless crisis. A huge percentage of those people are from other states and rural areas to this day are giving people one way bus tickets there. These communities aren't honorable enough to work on their own issues, so they make them someone elses (then complain about the other places).

Old 08-04-2023, 05:38 AM

9,439 posts, read 5,201,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeugh View Post
Economically vibrant? Good problem to have.
Name me a couple, just for kicks.

Have you ever actually been to Los Angeles or some of the other west coast cities that have been run into the ground from the effects of unfettered influx of illegals? Or San Fran? or Portland, OR?

Old 08-04-2023, 09:46 AM

4,394 posts, read 4,282,856 times
Quote:
Tulsa isn't. Not much of a city, same problems (generally worse even) as other cities.

Of course, most of the problems in those cities aren't created by the cities. Like California and the homeless crisis. A huge percentage of those people are from other states and rural areas to this day are giving people one way bus tickets there. These communities aren't honorable enough to work on their own issues, so they make them someone elses (then complain about the other places).
Tulsa's a pretty boring place tbh. It's a perfect example of horrible urban design as well. If I have to pick the lesser of two evils, I'd go with one of the liberal cities with a bad homeless problem. In general though Burlington is fine for a city its size when it comes to this.

Old 08-12-2023, 12:36 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,275,685 times
Quote:

California's problems are caused by other states and rural areas, not illegals pouring into that state!? So you are putting the blame on 99% of the nation, not CA changing the race majority in their state? That's as ludicrous as Vermonters blaming flatlanders for the increase in taxes and drug problem. Why can't people stop pointing fingers at everyone but themselves. The reason for the increase in taxes is because everyone approves school budgets which is the largest burden on taxpayers.

Someone told me the other day that if I plan on going to Burlington for any reason, make sure I lock my car and watch my back because the drug and homeless problem is causing a lot of crime. She said that is it horrible what she has been seeing and everyone should avoid going there.

Old 08-12-2023, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLIER View Post
California's problems are caused by other states and rural areas, not illegals pouring into that state!?

Yes, absolutely, read the research on the unhoused populations of California. The tens and tens of thousands that have been shipped to CA on one way bus tickets by conservative and rural populations since the 1970s. They're not largely undocumented immigrants. A community which is incredibly important to the agricultural industry in the state, BTW. Which is also true in my home of Wisconsin, and in Vermont. Most of the farmers me and my family know in VT employ undocumented immigrants. Without them the work wouldn't get done.

Quote:
So you are putting the blame on 99% of the nation, not CA changing the race majority in their state?
Changing race majority? What are you talking about? The area that is California was largely Hispanic before the US existed. There hasn't been much change. You want to blame POC? Good grief.

Quote:
That's as ludicrous as Vermonters blaming flatlanders for the increase in taxes and drug problem. Why can't people stop pointing fingers at everyone but themselves. The reason for the increase in taxes is because everyone approves school budgets which is the largest burden on taxpayers.
Pointing fingers at ourselves in an attempt to avoid dodging the issue. We're a society, and community, and we all need to take responsibilities for ourselves and others in our community. Shipping them around and pushing the problems on others in morally reprehensible.

Quote:
Someone told me the other day that if I plan on going to Burlington for any reason, make sure I lock my car and watch my back because the drug and homeless problem is causing a lot of crime. She said that is it horrible what she has been seeing and everyone should avoid going there.
I am staying in Burlington this weekend for the Sylvan Esso show (and other events). It's a fantastic place. Clean, well kept, very minimal homeless issues. Great beer at Foam and Zero Gravity. Wonderful food. Nice shops. If someone is afraid of the nice tiny city of Burlington VT they're straight up paranoid and delusional to be honest.

Old 08-12-2023, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Name me a couple, just for kicks.

Have you ever actually been to Los Angeles or some of the other west coast cities that have been run into the ground from the effects of unfettered influx of illegals? Or San Fran? or Portland, OR?
Yes! Often. Portland I'm in every year. Wonderful music scene. Great bookstores and record stores. My best friend lived there, he was a teacher, now retired. San Francisco I used to live in. Visit every few years, usually for a music fest. Haven't spent much time in LA, but I have San Diego. Great area.

Economically vibrant? Boston. Chicago. New York. So many others. Atlanta, Austin, Madison, I could go on. I mean, basically the economic output of the entire country is out of the large urban areas. And, the welfare areas are rural areas. Look at the flow of tax dollars and economic output. Blue, mostly urban areas generate. Red states, and rural areas are economic takers. There are a few exceptions, but the economists studying this (and publishing it) have shown this to be the case for almost 50 years now.

You people need to stop watching / reading conservative for profit "news" outlets. It gets you out of reality and living in fear. So many times I hear how the country has become dangerous and what not while the reality is crime is way way lower than the 1970s, 80s, and 90s.

Old 08-14-2023, 04:33 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,275,685 times
Quote:
Yes, absolutely, read the research on the unhoused populations of California. The tens and tens of thousands that have been shipped to CA on one way bus tickets by conservative and rural populations since the 1970s. They're not largely undocumented immigrants. A community which is incredibly important to the agricultural industry in the state, BTW. Which is also true in my home of Wisconsin, and in Vermont. Most of the farmers me and my family know in VT employ undocumented immigrants. Without them the work wouldn't get done.

Changing race majority? What are you talking about? The area that is California was largely Hispanic before the US existed. There hasn't been much change. You want to blame POC? Good grief.

Pointing fingers at ourselves in an attempt to avoid dodging the issue. We're a society, and community, and we all need to take responsibilities for ourselves and others in our community. Shipping them around and pushing the problems on others in morally reprehensible.

I am staying in Burlington this weekend for the Sylvan Esso show (and other events). It's a fantastic place. Clean, well kept, very minimal homeless issues. Great beer at Foam and Zero Gravity. Wonderful food. Nice shops. If someone is afraid of the nice tiny city of Burlington VT they're straight up paranoid and delusional to be honest.
Mike, your post is so disrespectful to Americans. I am a farmer and I know a lot of Vermont farmers. They are hard working people. They manage quit well without the help of illegals. There are a few farmers in the state that hire illegals but most are factory farms. I know of a business in NY that hires Jamaicans to help during the summer months. They work a few months and then go back to Jamaica. They don't cross over the border illegally and are a burden on the taxpayers. And as far as the Republicans electing mail in voting..that was during the civil war when they were trying to help the soldiers that were serving our country. It wasn't to rig the system.

I'm curious if you actually own a home and have a family to support or live with your parents and travel all over the country enjoying the music scene. Why do you feel I am responsible for everyone else? Are you referring to the illegals that President Biden is shipping all over the country? If I'm responsible for them, then they are responsible for helping me pay my mortgage. I haven't received one cent yet. I haven't received a dime from you either.

You should listen more than you speak. You might learn a thing or two from the older generation, especially the conservative ones with morals.

Old 08-15-2023, 05:46 AM

9,439 posts, read 5,201,523 times
I just can't even get into the mud with a guy who has clearly never LIVED in Los Angeles but thinks he knows about the illegal situation there.

I am responsible for myself and my family and if someone is in trouble, of course, I help. The terrible flooding in VT is a perfect example of people pulling together for those in need. But I have no responsibility whatsoever to financially support illegals. None. Zip. Nada. I have my own financial situation to manage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT