Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 08:06 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,101,947 times

Advertisements

I'm a professional dog walker. I have one part-time assistant, whom I pay exactly what I get paid. (I don't take a cut.) I squirrel away money for taxes, and pay them quarterly. I don't have health insurance (can't afford it.) I don't use the emergency room; I see my doctor yearly and pay the bill. I got a flu shot two weeks ago. My husband and I are a one-car household, thus saving on gas and resources. We shop locally as much as possible.
I started my business with existing money; no bank loan. We vote "yes" on all school bond issues and millages.
I don't know how much of this information is relevant to my question, but I'm putting it out there for you to make a decision.
So? Am I a "maker" or a "taker?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 10:33 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,548,273 times
How 'bout neither?

Just sound like a fairly self-responsible dog walker.

Good enough for me.

---------------

Be careful on the "assistant" status of your co-worker. You may get ascribed to have "employer" responsibilities to/for someone who is not likely your statutory nor even common-law employee. This being a business forum, and all. You understand what I am talking about?

Old 11-10-2012, 12:15 PM

971 posts, read 1,454,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
How 'bout neither?

Just sound like a fairly self-responsible dog walker.

Good enough for me.

---------------

Be careful on the "assistant" status of your co-worker. You may get ascribed to have "employer" responsibilities to/for someone who is not likely your statutory nor even common-law employee. This being a business forum, and all. You understand what I am talking about?
Sorry, I beg to differ. She is a private sector "maker" that pays her taxes quarterly and pays the salary's of the public sector city, county, state, and federal government employee's. The same government that makes it hard on the private sector by raising the taxes which causes her to pay more for groceries, utilities and other necessary consumables. IMO

Now she is going to be forced into Obamacare or pay a penality. I don't see how this government has her best interest at heart. AJMO

Yes, you don't want to be a business, your assistant is a partner.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:34 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
That can't be answered without more details. Do you have a business license, and pay state and local Business and occupation taxes as required by the law? Do you withhold income tax and social security from your helper, and pay into workman's compensation?

Old 11-10-2012, 09:02 PM

21,142 posts, read 19,722,567 times
You take dogs for walks, so you are a taker. You make money doing so, so you are a maker.

Old 11-11-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluff_Dweller View Post

Yes, you don't want to be a business, your assistant is a partner.
Sorry, but this is a business section.

Those words have meanings.

Don't want to get into winging opins around with no concepts of the meanings.

"Partner" is a business status that must be used very limited and carefully.

Hopefully -- she is not partners and does not care to be, nor represent as a partnership.

Old 11-11-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
You take dogs for walks, so you are a taker. You make money doing so, so you are a maker.
A+

Now how about the dog?

TAKES a walk?

MAKES a poop?

Deep thoughts here.

Old 11-11-2012, 12:30 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,655,412 times
Do you own or rent? What does your husband do?

Old 11-11-2012, 12:59 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,101,947 times
We own our house. My husband is a musician. My assistant is not a "partner" in any way; only helps me out occasionally for cash.

Old 11-11-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
My assistant is not a "partner" in any way; only helps me out occasionally for cash.
Understood. Nothing you indicated pointed towards any sort of partnership. Some folks tend to make up total nonsense on here.

Back towards the bidness end of things here . . .

You need to watch about slipping over to employer status. BIG Deal.

IF you are in the path of cash -- and especially if your "assistant" is the end of the payment line -- it is not unreasonable for your assistant to be declared your "employee." Not saying that you would say so. Nor your assistant. But when it comes to employment status -- the words do not matter nearly as much as what can be shown or declared against you.

Some examples.

Assistant -- while "assisting" you -- slips and falls, hits head on sidewalk. Now in Coma. Who is going to get tagged for the medical bills? YOU. Because some clever (or even not so clever) lawyer is going to ask who is the assistant working for? If you do not have a very clear Sub-Contractor WRITTEN contract, you will be on the defense. Do you carry Worker's Comp?

Assistant gets audited. Or even their S.O. under a joint return. Either they are showing the income from you -- (If so and over $600 per year, have you filed the required 1099?) or if they are not showing the income and it is found, the IRS will look to you for with-holding and your portion of the Social Security filings.

We can go on and on with foreseeable examples -- a dog bites the assistant, or innocent (or not so innocent) passerby. Do you have liability insurance? Does it covers acts of your assistant -- whether sub-contractor or employee?

Lot more to business than throwing your arm out of join patting yourself on the back as maker, taker, faker or belly-aker.

It is mostly about being competent and responsible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business