Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2021, 01:01 PM

19,051 posts, read 13,968,817 times

Advertisements

My wife got word last week that she's staying home. In fact we've been texting back and forth all day about different desks she's considering since we know it's permanent now. Huge score for us for too many reasons to list, although if we had known this sooner we'd have moved even further from NYC on the shore like we wanted to. Oh well.

Her company was very resistant to the concept at first, now they are embracing it for those roles which have zero need to be in the office on a regular basis. It's a stupid throw back to ancient thinking. Unnecessary.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2021, 01:45 PM

6,690 posts, read 6,035,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llol45519 View Post
High skill white collar workers are about to learn that they actually have no pull.
Bingo.

The best position to be in is that of an office worker who is in the union or some kind of collective bargaining position. They are basically untouchable. The same cannot be said about average skilled middle managers, directors, and administrators. To actually deserve your salaries you now have to have top notch skills with certification and masters degrees. Trust me when I tell you. This is why I’m getting certification in data science, which is in high demand). This should pull me to retirement with my MS in cybersecurity. Y’all have to start thinking this way now.

Also, playing politics (as much as I - as an introvert - despised it) is a must if you want a good quality promotion or to be kept for that matter. Otherwise, you can miss future promotions and your employer wouldn’t mind letting us go. As the saying goes, “out of sight out of mind!”

Old 06-03-2021, 02:08 PM

5,826 posts, read 2,948,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Bingo.

The best position to be in is that of an office worker who is in the union or some kind of collective bargaining position. They are basically untouchable. The same cannot be said about average skilled middle managers, directors, and administrators. To actually deserve your salaries you now have to have top notch skills with certification and masters degrees. Trust me when I tell you. This is why I’m getting certification in data science, which is in high demand). This should pull me to retirement with my MS in cybersecurity. Y’all have to start thinking this way now.

Also, playing politics (as much as I - as an introvert - despised it) is a must if you want a good quality promotion or to be kept for that matter. Otherwise, you can miss future promotions and your employer wouldn’t mind letting us go. As the saying goes, “out of sight out of mind!”

Curious. IS AWS still in demand like it used to be ?

Old 06-03-2021, 02:11 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Not really. People from NYC who get paid a substantial amount in comparison to the rest of the nation will be at risk to be laid off because well.... your employer can get someone to do your job from Nebraska for half the cost.
Talent pool is nothing like what we have in NYC. No comparison...

Old 06-03-2021, 02:15 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palpable View Post
Basically this.

I also enjoy being in an office with people. I've always liked my co-workers a ton and teambuilding is extremely important imo. Don't even really mind the commute (about an hour for me one-way)

I should be heading back in a few weeks and I can't wait
Good for you, but I can do my job just about anywhere. Zoom and Teams meetings are fine. We have a meeting. I relax on one my couches in my living room with my feet kicked up. I give my two cents about what how we need to prepare for projects, etc. and we are done. Much more casual this way. Love it.

Old 06-03-2021, 02:27 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,330,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Let me chime in. With WFH, I get to go to gym in the morning or evening or at lunch. Hours are flexible. I get to see wife and kids more. Win win in my book.
I dont care about office workers, their problems, family issues or any of the crap associated with commute.
Im happy to work and work hard, just from home.
This!!!! Im 40 and now in the same shape I was at 25. Why you ask? (Well you didn’t). Since mid March of last year I have been working out 4-6x a week. I use my commute time. I eat healthy since I have access to my kitchen and food. There are no benefits to going back. Luckily my company is based out of IL and gave up there offices and we are all now perm WFH!

Old 06-03-2021, 02:31 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,617,580 times
I'm pretty done with office life. I can jump to Marshal Stack at 4pm and drink until 2-4am for like $20. Why would I want to take the train to Midtown? Saves me about 2 hours everyday too not having to get dressed, commute, and all that jazz.

Old 06-03-2021, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
I'm pretty done with office life. I can jump to Marshal Stack at 4pm and drink until 2-4am for like $20. Why would I want to take the train to Midtown? Saves me about 2 hours everyday too not having to get dressed, commute, and all that jazz.

For booze hounds, WFH is also life changing, as in death from liver failure. Be careful. Although ill admit sneaking in a few half way through the day, as an experiment.

Yeah, at 42, I was not running to work anymore with excitement, I was dragging my feet. Now I am glad to work, set up my office how I like it and all. Play guitar during breaks, listen to Tidal. Fing heaven.

Old 06-03-2021, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
How is commuting being a sheep
You do realize a lot of people have jobs they have to go to. Also a lot of people actually like their job.
You said it yourself. HAVE TO GO. Lots of people HAVE to go to work, they hate it but they have to. I did that and I did bare minimum not to get fired, lasted a long time too. The job is still there when things open up.
But from home, I am excited to do work, I like it, I do great. A lot of people can benefit from WFH.

Young kids who want to connect and mingle are welcome to storm the city if they want to.

Old 06-03-2021, 02:50 PM

6,690 posts, read 6,035,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Curious. IS AWS still in demand like it used to be ?
Omg yes.

Anyways good luck to y’all and your WFH pah-tays!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business