Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2010, 12:05 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,524,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
First, I agree with everything you said in the second paragraph

However, we're still at odds in the first one. Just because an illegal is billed doesn't mean they will pay. Often, they have no means to pay and can always go back to their home country in many cases. That means many bills will not be paid. It cost about 13,000 dollars to be transported in an ambulance (that was in 2002 when I knew a girl who was, I'm sure it must cost more now). What happens when someone who is undocumented receives this care and then disappears? We pick up the tab.
That's why illegals should be legalized so they can start paying taxes and share in the hospital tab.

BTW, health care is my profession. I live in a lily white area of Illinois. The vast majority of deadbeats who show up in the ER or in the office and don't pay their bills are whites. Perhaps I should ask them next time to produce their birth certificates and US passports. For all I know, they could all be illegals. My bad!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 12:34 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
That's why illegals should be legalized so they can start paying taxes and share in the hospital tab
We'll just agree to disagree on this as I don't believe in amnesty.

Quote:
BTW, health care is my profession. I live in a lily white area of Illinois
This ought to be good...

Quote:
The vast majority of deadbeats who show up in the ER or in the office and don't pay their bills are whites
I was right, that was good. My guess is, the reason the vast majority of deadbeats are white is because, as you put it, you live in a lily white area

I'm in San Diego California and on a clear day, I can see Mexico. The demographic here is probably a little different...just a guess.

Quote:
Perhaps I should ask them next time to produce their birth certificates and US passports. For all I know, they could all be illegals. My bad!
You should do some research before you attempt sarcasm regarding this issue. Had you done so, you would have realized that, the fact one has to carry papers is exactly why I do not support this particular law.

You're trying to accomplish what?

Old 07-29-2010, 12:42 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,389,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by think first View Post
If we took the far right and far left out of the equation (politically speaking), this country would be much better off.
Agree 100%. People think I am anti-Republican but my respect for the Republican party ended after our beloved president and former governor Ronald Reagan died. Republicans have gone down a road that makes them incoherent and radical evangelicals. What happened to moderators who could make decisions based on pragmatism? America should morn the loss of the old Republican party. Seriously.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
I was right, that was good. My guess is, the reason the vast majority of deadbeats are white is because, as you put it, you live in a lily white area
It is good, coz it shows you're missing the point. The point being, deadbeats are everywhere, and they're not necessarily all Mexican illegals.

Quote:
I'm in San Diego California and on a clear day, I can see Mexico. The demographic here is probably a little different...just a guess.
Exactly, and that means the reason there are more Mexican-looking deadbeats in your neck of the wood is because you're close to Mexico. In my neck of the woods, the deadbeats are predominantly Caucasian. Since your argument has been that illegals are a burden to the health care system, then I am here to smack you with a counterfactual: the great majority (in absolute terms) of deadbeats are in fact white American citizens.

Quote:
You should do some
e research before you attempt sarcasm regarding this issue. Had you done so, you would have realized that, the fact one has to carry papers is exactly why I do not support this particular law.
Good for you that you don't support the law. Because if you do support the law, then the law should be applied equally to everyone, which means even Caucasian Americans should carry with them proof of citizenship/brith certificates/US passports at all times.

Quote:
You're trying to accomplish what?
Teaching you.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:39 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
It is good, coz it shows you're missing the point. The point being, deadbeats are everywhere, and they're not necessarily all Mexican illegals.
You're missing the point because you're basing opinions about what I've said without even knowing everything I've said. Once again, research first.

Quote:
Exactly, and that means the reason there are more Mexican-looking deadbeats in your neck of the wood is because you're close to Mexico. In my neck of the woods, the deadbeats are predominantly Caucasian. Since your argument has been that illegals are a burden to the health care system, then I am here to smack you with a counterfactual: the great majority (in absolute terms) of deadbeats are in fact white American citizens.
Nice try, but in Southern California, like Arizona, illegals are the problem, therefore, illegals will be the ones spoken about, your comparison makes no sense.

Quote:
Good for you that you don't support the law. Because if you do support the law, then the law should be applied equally to everyone, which means even Caucasian Americans should carry with them proof of citizenship/brith certificates/US passports at all times.
This we agree on and anyone who actually knows me and knows my post will tell you that. This is why most of my posts haven't ruffled too many feathers other than a lively debate.

Quote:
Teaching you.
It's not your job, nor are you qualified to teach me anything. You live in a state while, it may have illegal immigrants, cannot be compared to a state that has 2 million illegals (that we know of) and increasing each year. If I move to Illinois and need education on this issue, I'll look you up...thanks.

Old 07-29-2010, 02:16 PM

423 posts, read 824,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I think these are reasonable goals and easily accomplished.
Pointless! Every single one of them. Until they gonna crack down on business owners who lure the illegals over here all the effort like 30 ft electrical fence with strong military presence along the border is just gonna be a worthless waste of money. Agriculture and construction in Northern states somehow survives without illegal immigrant labor just fine.

Old 07-29-2010, 02:54 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
BTW, health care is my profession. I live in a lily white area of Illinois. The vast majority of deadbeats who show up in the ER or in the office and don't pay their bills are whites. Perhaps I should ask them next time to produce their birth certificates and US passports. For all I know, they could all be illegals. My bad!
Ha! This is funny!

It kind of reminds me of something else I read on the internet. I was reading a blog that belongs to a man who is very much against "illegals" etc. Anyway, he went to a cocktail party and was talking to a young lady (who had no accent, he said) who was the daughter of two people who were here on H1B visas. She had lived here since she was a child and wanted to go to college but they wanted her to pay out of state tuition so she couldn't afford to go.

Anyhoo, I hated to tell him this, but since she was over 21, she was probably ILLEGAL! Adult children of H1B visa holders are only legal in this country until they turn 21.

Old 07-29-2010, 03:21 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
That's why illegals should be legalized so they can start paying taxes and share in the hospital tab.
Sure. Legalize them as a reward for ignoring, thwarting, scoffing and thumbing their noses at our laws and sovreignty. Then as legals, bye-bye cheap labor. They'll demand market rate pay and benefits. Then another 12 million illegals will come in behind them to provide cut-rate labor and services figuring they'll be legalized in time as well. A few more cycles of this and the rest of us might as well move to Mexico. Of course, we would likely improve it!

Old 07-29-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Sure. Legalize them as a reward for ignoring, thwarting, scoffing and thumbing their noses at our laws and sovreignty. Then as legals, bye-bye cheap labor. They'll demand market rate pay and benefits. Then another 12 million illegals will come in behind them to provide cut-rate labor and services figuring they'll be legalized in time as well.
Sure why not? And the next wave will get legalized, start paying taxes, demand high wages etc etc.....That way, we will always have a steady stream of young workers paying taxes and ensuring the solvency of this thing called Social Security which is supporting you currently in your old age.

Old 07-29-2010, 03:40 PM

212 posts, read 476,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Sure. Legalize them as a reward for ignoring, thwarting, scoffing and thumbing their noses at our laws and sovreignty. Then as legals, bye-bye cheap labor. They'll demand market rate pay and benefits. Then another 12 million illegals will come in behind them to provide cut-rate labor and services figuring they'll be legalized in time as well. A few more cycles of this and the rest of us might as well move to Mexico. Of course, we would likely improve it!

Which is exactly what happened after Reagan legalized the last bunch.

...hmmm. I wonder why Californiasur liked Reagan, and yet dislikes Republicans now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California