Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 03:27 PM

15 posts, read 40,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
How does CalPers fund itself?
From us lowly state workers, and employer contributions. I should say former state worker. Retired 10 months ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 03:52 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireRx View Post
From us lowly state workers, and employer contributions. I should say former state worker. Retired 10 months ago.
Congratulations! Hope you're enjoying the freedom.

Also, like any large fund, CalPERS invests heavily and is a major Wall Street player due to its sheer size, over $205 billion.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:39 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,973,693 times
I'm pretty far into getting a law enforcement job. If I get through this step, I'm getting the job. The main reason why I want to get this job is due to the retirement benefits. If i get the job, I'll eventually want to become a cop as well.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:13 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,910,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Oh, bother! The state General Fund is $20 billion in the hole (likely much more, closer to 30) but CalPERS is not. Capiche?

Facing fundamental fiscal facts is what I did for a living for the state for the better part of 20 of my 25 years, analyzing politics and legislation and testifying before fiscal and policy committees of the Legislature, as well as being involved in the state budget process. Every analysis had to include fiscal impact and that was one of the most important elements. I know just a wee bit about it from first-hand experience, and you?

Most unfortunately, I, and people like me, were rarely listened to by the politicos or the state would not be in the mess it is.

Now do you really wish to discuss "rational" with me? A piece of advice, know your audience.
Read more about it before you brag about how much you know... (pension tsunami) There's tons of articles about just how much the state pension system is in trouble. But don't let facts stop you in thinking just how much you know.

And yeah, I do know my audience. I have multiple in-laws who are CA firefighters, teachers, school admin., have multiple friends who are teachers, and my kids hear a lot from their teachers on what they make and what they are getting when they retire, so I do know what's going on in multiple levels.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:05 PM

880 posts, read 1,800,394 times
Here's another article for all you Pollyanna's to read up on.

Arnold Schwarzenegger: Public Pensions and Our Fiscal Future - WSJ.com

Old 08-31-2010, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Congratulations! Hope you're enjoying the freedom.

Also, like any large fund, CalPERS invests heavily and is a major Wall Street player due to its sheer size, over $205 billion.
Straight from the article I posted,

"Thanks to huge unfunded pension and retirement health-care promises granted by past governments, and also to deceptive pension-fund accounting that understated liabilities and overstated future investment returns, California is now saddled with $550 billion of retirement debt."

It doesn't look CalPERS has it covered based on these numbers.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireRx View Post

Yeah the money comes in from cops and fireman at about 9% and goes back out to them at 90%. Not a bad return, sounds like a Ponzi scheme to me.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:05 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbatca View Post
Read more about it before you brag about how much you know... (pension tsunami) There's tons of articles about just how much the state pension system is in trouble. But don't let facts stop you in thinking just how much you know.

And yeah, I do know my audience. I have multiple in-laws who are CA firefighters, teachers, school admin., have multiple friends who are teachers, and my kids hear a lot from their teachers on what they make and what they are getting when they retire, so I do know what's going on in multiple levels.
You don't have first-hand knowledge, just hearsay. And if your childrens' teachers are discussing their personal finances with their students then they're idiots and don't belong in the classroom.

Of course I know that the state retirement systems (CalPERS and CalSTRS) are over-subscribed. That's a no-brainer. At issue was your claim that the state would, at some point, discontinue issuing retirement checks. My response was that the checks may come from the State Controller but the funds don't. The second issue is that for current employees and retirees the state is legally obligated to fulfill its contractual obligation to them. The courts have already weighed-in on that issue.

My claimed expertise is in how real politik works, or doesn't, in Sacramento, including the budget process, and nothing more. It explains how the state reached its current morass and why it's circling the drain and picking up momentum in the process.

If you want to split hairs I'll concede that thanks primarily to the Legislature and Former and Wannabe Again Governor Moonbeam, aka: Ol' Crusty, the pension plans have devolved into almost classic Ponzi schemes. Same thing with Social Security.

Sometimes it's a comfort to be along in years!

Old 10-27-2010, 09:55 PM

23 posts, read 63,159 times
Hwy phantom, just to clarify about contribution rates, sometimes the employee's pay their 9% share themselves but often their employer pays the employees portion through contract negotiations where the employees take less in raises for awhile. The employers' share is occasionally very low when the economy is fine, but often well above 15% in times like these.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: