Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 03:02 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
There are times when in so cal, where I literally have had to double check and make sure I was not in mexico( use a bathroom off 99 in bakersfield if you catch my drift), there are times in norcal where for a second, it actually FEELs like you are still in the US (Granite Bay, Pleasanton, far northern california, etc).
Bakersfield and the Central Valley aren't Southern CA, although that's not to say there aren't parts there that resemble those areas. Also I would say a lot, if not the majority, of Southern CA's upper middle class suburbs resemble Pleasanton a fair amount.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 04:11 PM

74 posts, read 93,356 times
Haha, it makes me laugh not to consider the bay area as Norcal.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:43 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Also I would say a lot, if not the majority, of Southern CA's upper middle class suburbs resemble Pleasanton a fair amount.
pretty much.

NorCalDude might want to visit places like Simi Valley, Thousand Oaks, Irvine, Santa Clarita and so on.

101 as it drives through Ventura County looks a LOT like the Bay Area imo.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:40 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,389,847 times
Quote:
18Montclair;16301473]pretty much.

NorCalDude might want to visit places like Simi Valley, Thousand Oaks, Irvine, Santa Clarita and so on.

101 as it drives through Ventura County looks a LOT like the Bay Area imo.
I don't think Ventura county looks like the Bay Area because it is too rural with lots of farms. Driving on 101 thru Ventura county actually reminds of other places like from Santa Maria to San Luis Obispo or parts of the Salinas Valley. Otherwise Ventura county has too many citrus orchards, avocado groves, palm trees to resemble the Bay Area.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I don't think Ventura county looks like the Bay Area because it is too rural with lots of farms. Driving on 101 thru Ventura county actually reminds of other places like from Santa Maria to San Luis Obispo or parts of the Salinas Valley. Otherwise Ventura county has too many citrus orchards, avocado groves, palm trees to resemble the Bay Area.
Sonoma County is pretty rural with lots of farms with some suburbs thrown in. Marin County also feels very rural except it's not as flat with lots of farmland. I can see the resemblance Montclair is speaking of.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:49 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
Sickeningly racist that only a Republican can post!
He's pointing out the tendency of recent Mexican immigrants to not flush toilet paper. Explain to me how that's racist, Mr. Everything I See Is Racist Californio Sur.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Sonoma County is pretty rural with lots of farms with some suburbs thrown in. Marin County also feels very rural except it's not as flat with lots of farmland. I can see the resemblance Montclair is speaking of.
If by "Bay Area" Montclair is referring to Napa and Sonoma counties than I can see his point but once a person drives into San Jose and up either the peninsula or east bay there aren't any farms. Plus Ventura and the Santa Clarita valley is full of citrus and avocado groves; neither of which one would see in northern California except orange groves in the San Joaquin valley which isn't the Bay Area. Palm trees grow in the Bay Area but not in the abundance one sees in southern California. Lots of eucalyptus trees in both areas but more pines in northern California.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:10 PM

Quote:
If by "Bay Area" Montclair is referring to Napa and Sonoma counties than I can see his point but once a person drives into San Jose and up either the peninsula or east bay there aren't any farms. Plus Ventura and the Santa Clarita valley is full of citrus and avocado groves; neither of which one would see in northern California except orange groves in the San Joaquin valley which isn't the Bay Area. Palm trees grow in the Bay Area but not in the abundance one sees in southern California. Lots of eucalyptus trees in both areas but more pines in northern California.
Kind of splitting hairs here, personally I can't really tell the difference between groves of Avocado/Citrus trees versus groves of other trees like pears or apples. I was thinking more the topography and development rather than specific species of trees. Also there may not be as many farms in areas like the East Bay but there is a lot of open space.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Kind of splitting hairs here, personally I can't really tell the difference between groves of Avocado/Citrus trees versus groves of other trees like pears or apples. I was thinking more the topography and development rather than specific species of trees. Also there may not be as many farms in areas like the East Bay but there is a lot of open space.
Where do you see pear and apple orchards in the Bay Area? In-fact there is no agriculture except in the outer most regions of the Central Valley and that really is not considered the Bay Area. The Napa\ Sonoma valleys are primarily vineyards with very few orchards. I don't think grapes are grown in Ventura county. There is a big difference between subtropical citrus\ avocados and pit trees like pears and apples. It's like saying the Bay Area reminds you of Reno Nevada because there are mountains! I can't see any resemblance between an area that is heavily farms, mountains and beaches like Ventura county and the super urban Bay Area.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Where do you see pear and apple orchards in the Bay Area? In-fact there is no agriculture except in the outer most regions of the Central Valley and that really is not considered the Bay Area. The Napa\ Sonoma valleys are primarily vineyards with very few orchards. I don't think grapes are grown in Ventura county. There is a big difference between subtropical citrus\ avocados and pit trees like pears and apples. It's like saying the Bay Area reminds you of Reno Nevada because there are mountains! I can't see any resemblance between an area that is heavily farms, mountains and beaches like Ventura county and the super urban Bay Area.
I was just using those as examples of how I don't think most people can even tell the difference between the types of orchards along the side of the road. I know there are pear orchards north in Mendocino County, not really sure about Sonoma County. Trees in an orchard on the side of the road look like trees in an orchard on the side of the road whether it's oranges, avocados, apples, or pears imo. Again, you're really splitting hairs here and getting way too specific with the plant species to try to draw on differences. Generally speaking, both areas have suburban type towns with lots of open spaces and/or farms amid rolling hills/mountains. Have you ever driven up 101 from Marin to Sonoma County through places like Petaluma and Santa Rosa? There is plenty of agriculture in this region and not all of it are vineyards at all too. If you think all the Bay Area is "super urban" then you obviously haven't spent much time in places like Marin and Sonoma Counties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California