Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 12:25 PM

1 posts, read 3,999 times

Advertisements

I am 21 and looking to move out west around May, and Chico seems to be a place I could live in, though I do have some questions and concerns. First of all, I'm from Memphis so I am really ready to live somewhere that is very pedestrian-friendly. I have a car, but for health and environmental reason, I would like to keep my driving to a minimum. Is Chico good for this; if not, how is the public transportation system?

Also, it seems like the college scene is pretty fun, but how about after college? Will I find myself surrounded by this scene with nothing better to get into?

How is the music scene in Chico? One good thing about Memphis is the music, and I go to a lot of concerts (reggae, electronic, jam, blues, etc.) in the city and surrounding areas. I definitely want to find similar experiences wherever I end up moving to.

Last, but certainly not least, how is the job outlook? I will absolutely need to find a job as quickly as possible, most likely in retail or food service.

And just as a side note, with these things in mind, would you have a better suggestion of a city with a decent university and relatively low cost of living?

I am so excited to leave the south and I'm looking forward to a place much more suited to my lifestyle, so I really appreciate any info or advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 01:01 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,679,297 times
I will let someone else answer most of your questions but I wanted to let you know that Chico really stands out because it is near mountains and has a great bunch of outdoor people.
Lassen Peak and Tahoe and Mt. Shasta are not to far away.
It is also easy to go to San Francisco for the evening and drive home.

Old 11-10-2010, 01:20 PM

248 posts, read 803,133 times
If you like beer, the Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. is based in Chico

Old 11-10-2010, 01:29 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
First off, I really like Chico and think it's a good place overall. There is the heavy party scene because of the college and some drugs/meth/gang issues because there is just that element there as well. Crime has steadily increased.
Are you planning on going to college there? The whole out of state thing may prevent you from that.
If you are looking for work the job issue is the biggest problem, there really isn't much there and many graduates pick up the ones that are to extend their stay in Chico. It depends on your skills and what you do.
You can live downtown and not need a car but you won't have too many job opportunites there outside of food service and that's where the college kids live, Greek Houses, etc. so it's mostly old, run down rentals and noise 24/7. You can get to Sacramento for more things like concerts and shows, but it's a bit of a drive. You can find cheap housing by sharing with lot's of people.

Old 11-10-2010, 02:31 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
First off, I really like Chico and think it's a good place overall. There is the heavy party scene because of the college and some drugs/meth/gang issues because there is just that element there as well. Crime has steadily increased.
Are you planning on going to college there? The whole out of state thing may prevent you from that.
If you are looking for work the job issue is the biggest problem, there really isn't much there and many graduates pick up the ones that are to extend their stay in Chico. It depends on your skills and what you do.
You can live downtown and not need a car but you won't have too many job opportunites there outside of food service and that's where the college kids live, Greek Houses, etc. so it's mostly old, run down rentals and noise 24/7. You can get to Sacramento for more things like concerts and shows, but it's a bit of a drive. You can find cheap housing by sharing with lot's of people.
Agree with Ceece. My daughters both graduated from Chico State and we have a friend who has a son enrolled there. If you are not familiar with the surrounding areas, learn them well before venturing out. I would advise you not to go to the bars alone and do not walk home from one late and alone. Crime unfortunately has increased and not decreased since we left CA. You will in all probability rent with several other students in one of the slums that the slumloards rent. They are sometimes not safe and a huge fire hazzard. Check with the university and see what kind of student housing they can provide for you. Be careful, but enjoy the beauty of that city.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:24 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,679,297 times
I lived 40 miles up in the hills near Buzzards Roost, we had no electricity, no running water, rent was free which worked well for my friend and I living on the GI Bill.
A fairly steady group of friends mostly driving VW buses sitting around the campfire drinking Rotta Red wine from west of Paso Robles (one of the two wineries in SLO county in those days).

We had a great time, throughly enjoyed all my classes, and have fond memories of Chico, Chapman town, Junkie George's for auto parts, and numerous dives and bars.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:10 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,606,006 times
I go to Chico a once a year or so and I love it up there. I'd move there in a heartbeat if it wasn't for the lack of jobs.

Old 11-11-2010, 01:40 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Chico is a fair school, the town is spread out, but very nice and you have the best of both worlds, it isn't too far from the bay area and Sac (not an hour but not too far) but it is still pretty small town. The worst part will be getting a job after graduation or getting a job period. Of course when that time comes you can head to Sac.

Nita

Old 11-11-2010, 01:43 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
Chico? Like Chico and the Man? Don't know him personally, but I think I've seen the show a few times.

Old 11-11-2010, 06:53 PM

963 posts, read 3,032,339 times
Downtown and the university area is relatively pedestrian friendly. The big draw of Chico, though, is for bicycle friendliness. It is a good size for relying principally on bicycles for getting around and there is good cycling infrastructure and a well established cycling culture (if you have a nice bike, though, be wary of bike security in the university district). If you like to cycle in addition to walk, Chico could be an excellent choice. For pedestrian-friendly design only, there are better choices as Chico is a bit spread out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California