Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 01:27 AM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times

Advertisements

I believe you have OCD. And like some people with other issues, it doesn't always play well online.

The question is, are you actually really going to ever move or is this just bla bla bla on the internet? I think about 80% of posts are bla bla bla anyway but still...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 03:09 AM

77 posts, read 440,544 times
Nah I'm serious dude, Some people talk about crap.. "oh I want to start a T-shirt company..." etc.. People who listen to rap say crap like "gotta stack that Cheddar, gotta make that money, I be hustlin etc.." But they never Do anything! They just talk.

Not to brag dude, but I figure out what steps to take- then I take them.

Like the business thing, I'm 24 & have 3 business's.

but yeah blah blah blah.. I hope you don't have O.C.D. dude.. most people w/OCD if not all- it somehow plays a big role in the way they live their life. When I was 12 it was really really bad! I didn't even want to step on cracks dude.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:32 AM

30,895 posts, read 36,943,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I've been in 8 or 10 earthquakes. They're not the end of the world.
That's a ridiculous statement. All it proves is that humans think really short term and have no concept of the long term cycles of either human or natural history.

Your statement would sound absurd to the hundreds of thousands who died as a result of the tsunamis that originated with an earthquake in the Indian Ocean.

You haven't expereicned a truly devastating earthquake, but just about every seismologist says California is overdue for such an earthquake.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:19 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,739,463 times
I'll stand by my statement, thank you.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:21 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,739,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianguitarist27 View Post
haha oh wow, hey- how is Eureka CA? I've always wondered.. You are way up at that tip, just before oregon right?
About 90 miles this side of Oregon.

Old 02-04-2011, 11:34 AM

8,213 posts, read 16,691,071 times
Let's be honest. This issue really isn't earthquakes, tornadoes, volcanoes, tsunamis, hurricanes, lightning storms, killer blizzards, etc... It's really obsessing over such things. Let's face it, no matter where you live there is always something to obsess over bottom line. Just name a state and there will be something. So moving isn't really going to change anything except the new thing(s) to obsess over.

I'm not discounting the significance of OCD in the OP life. It sounds like a serious issue. And I'm sure there other persons on this forum who suffer from it in varying degrees as well. But like the saying goes - no matter where you go to, there you are. So ultimately the OCD will need to be treated, not the place of residence. Otherwise it's simply the same cycle anywhere with only a temporary placebo effect until the new fears/threats kick in. And no I'm not a psychologist. But getting good therapy and treatment does sound like the best course of action in situations like this, not moving to Kentucky, or wherever.

Again that's not to say you shouldn't go out and explore to experience different parts of the country. And maybe there will be a place you feel less afraid for a time. I don't know. But there will be various challenges/fears/threats anywhere to one degree or another. Plus you will be leaving your support system, family, friends, etc... which is worth consideration as well.

My 2c,

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 02-04-2011 at 11:49 AM..

Old 02-04-2011, 02:38 PM

75 posts, read 319,445 times
Having lived in CA all my life I can say, some areas of CA have horrible earthquakes, while other areas of CA do not. You do not have to leave CA. In LA and Long Beach I lived through some rather harsh earth quakes but in OC I have only been through a few very minor ones. In Orange County they have been so small that not even anything falls down and breaks. Also if you are dead set on leaving CA because of earthquakes keep in mind that every other state has its own disasters or problems. There is no perfect place to live, safety wise.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:30 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,894,999 times
Default here, obsess over this "close call"

White knuckle time:
Small Asteroid Passes Close to Earth Today | Wired Science | Wired.com

Old 02-05-2011, 12:16 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,029,544 times
I think the OP worried too much. I always thought Christians cast their cares on the Lord. The OP's moniker suggests he is Christian. Perhaps casting those cares away and having a little faith is in order. Everything's gonna be okay, dude - really.

Old 02-05-2011, 03:39 AM

29 posts, read 117,168 times
I guess I'll chime in. Having been to more forums than I care to remember (heck, I've programmed them for a living), the unfortunate pattern is more often than not, the point of discussion gets washed up in rather irrelevant details and opinions, so I'll try to just answer the question.

I've lived in many places in this great country, and other countries before it. I've lived in CA for 10 years now, and have been through some quakes. Luckily, most were just mildly amusing, but I happened to be in the epicenter of a 5.8 one, and didn't like it. While I myself don't really care, I do know people who are scared of them to death. So from personal experience, I recommend central Pennsylvania, specifically the town of State College. Yes, you'll have snow and (maybe) a small tornado once in a few years. (If you can call that a tornado - there was one in another part of town that brought down a couple trees in my 7 years there, but I personally never experienced one). Not much other than that, and extremely safe and family-oriented. Look it up. I loved it. Just be forewarned that there won't be much in the job department, but it doesn't seem to be on your list of priorities anyway.

Last edited by PACA; 02-05-2011 at 03:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California