Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 10:34 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Well, lets see, I had a great horse back trip through a portion of one of our local wilderness areas yesterday 76 degrees out there in the woods, came back, put the horse away, took my motorcycle out, shirts sleeves, rode into town, visited with my wife a few minutes on her office deck in the warm sunshine, overlooking the creek. Then went to the local coffee shop with the chairs on the sidewalk, I had one of those foofoo iced coffee things, sat and watched the world go by for a while. Then came home and worked in the garden, the red pepper are ready, we are going to string them New Mexico style and hang them on the porch, oh, the oranges are nearly ready to pick and eat.

The day before? I went for a motorcycle ride to Morro Bay, I did not stop at Taco Temple for the world's best bread pudding, but I could have, then I took a mix of paved and dirt roads back home in the warm sunshine.

The day before that I hiked up a very scenic canyon to look at several waterfalls.

Funny thing, I was not the only person out enjoying California, on these various excursions I ran into dirt bikers, jeepers, one in a fine restored FJ, hikers with dogs, hikers without dogs, pretty women in convertibles with their tops down (on the cars.....) mtn bikers and road bikers, street motorcyclists.

I submit that your sentence does not reflect reality as practiced on this planet.

Dangit.... now I want to go to Taco Temple.
Looks like dinner is planned for tonight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 10:36 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Aside from all the BS you just posted... Just like Texas, your great state of CA has at least 15% of it's residents living in poverty. It seems like the greatest liberal, social justice utopia in the US should do a lot more for it's poor residents than all the flyover states right?
I know a few people who are 'technically' living in poverty (making below the poverty level money wise) but are perfectly happy living that way. A good friend of mine makes less than $20k a year and rents out a tiny bedroom in a little house but is one of the happiest people I know because he spends most of his time outside enjoying our beautiful weather.

I'd rather be broke in California than rich in Texas

Old 02-11-2011, 10:43 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I know a few people who are 'technically' living in poverty (making below the poverty level money wise) but are perfectly happy living that way. A good friend of mine makes less than $20k a year and rents out a tiny bedroom in a little house but is one of the happiest people I know because he spends most of his time outside enjoying our beautiful weather.

I'd rather be broke in California than rich in Texas
Exactly! I am not rich by any means. However just two days ago I enjoyed a nice stroll down Harbor Drive and the gorgeous view of Downtown San Diego and the bay. Visited the USS Midway, sat out on a nice patio and enjoyed lunch on that 73 degree day. Before that, I spent a few ours at a lake nearby snapping pictures. When I get bored here, I take a flight into Oakland and enjoy much the same thing and then some. Sometimes I head up to the mountains and have lunch in a pine forest and look straight down at the desert 6000 feet below. Sometimes, I'll head down to the beach. I do most of all this between November and March where in most of the rest of the country the weather is uncooperative. I wouldn't trade my California lifestyle for all the money in the world

Old 02-11-2011, 10:53 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,898,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
... I'd rather be broke in California than rich in Texas
Oh yes As I have explained before, I live in three states: homebase in Washington, plus part-time in California and Hawaii ... only own the one home base ... Calif. and Hawaii are both in my van and on my primitive boats (in Calif. in the Bay area ... Hawaii, in Honolulu). I live on so little money I won't even say -- would be accused of fiction. I have a pension and equity, but no reason to spend it when life offers its greatest pleasures for free, or nearly so, comparatively ...

... except in Texas ... where, if I lived there, I would need to spend plenty to keep cool and distract myself from the lack of natural variety and stimulation and activities I crave (start with the color green!). Y'all down there have a culture and plenty of wild spaces fo' sho' ... but man, I don't get it ... just as well, because y'all don't get me neither ...

Old 02-11-2011, 10:53 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,170,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I think it's like 8 billion dollars in tax revenue is never returned to Ca. That number I am not completely sure about but it's a lot. The state can make up for that loss in one of two ways; borrow it back from the government or tax the Ca. residents more. With the inability to control spending in the state as it is, we don't need to be subsidizing other states.
Well, I happen to live in a state that takes more in from the fed than we pay out. In all honesty, we'd be better off without the federal aid. Most of it is wasted on local make work projects we don't really need.

Tons of it is spent on girls to bear children they are in no way capable of raising. Much of it is spent on the the children of these girls that is "largely" wasted because so much of it simply gets used to subsidize an irresponsible lifestyle that revolves around drugs and criminal activity.

So, if it were up to me, I'd send it back if I could. It's being wasted here and it's hurting our people.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:57 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
Well, I happen to live in a state that takes more in from the fed than we pay out. In all honesty, we'd be better off without the federal aid. Most of it is wasted on local make work projects we don't really need.

Tons of it is spent on girls to bear children they are in no way capable of raising. Much of it is spent on the the children of these girls that is "largely" wasted because so much of it simply gets used to subsidize an irresponsible lifestyle that revolves around drugs and criminal activity.

So, if it were up to me, I'd send it back if I could. It's being wasted here and it's hurting our people.
Good post and thanks for the honest info. Somehow, I think it would be wasted no matter what. Remember when I said that our state can seem to control it's spending in addition to that? I guess both red and blue states are as some on here would say, "welfare" states. Just for different reasons.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:33 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times
Quote:
your great state of CA has at least 15% of it's residents living in poverty. It seems like the greatest liberal, social justice utopia in the US
Looks like his first sentence negates his second, but I have been wrong before!

We live well below the poverty line, and we have three kids in university, and pretty much, all the toys one would want, and the leisure time to enjoy them. And we are not freezing in some midwestern ice box.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:36 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
And we are not freezing in some midwestern ice box.
Here we learn to dress properly. It's called "layers."

Visit my "expats" thread.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:12 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Why would they not try to come?

and Why would Republicans want them to stop? The overwhelming majority, the vast majority of businesses that want their cheap labor are Republican owned, since we know the libbies are all sitting around on welfare, or working for the state, or getting their fat pension checks.

I find it humorous that anyone would think that Republican businessmen who hire illegals would want immigration reform.
Who cares about their reasons for wanting to come, either way they shouldn't be coming illegally, correct? Or do you support illegal immigration?

If you're trying to suggest that all republicans support illegal immigration and are to blame for it, then you've lost all credibility there. I would venture to guess small business owners tend to be republican more often but that doesn't mean they are hiring illegals at a higher rate than democrats. So basically you can blame both parties/ideologies yet you rag on just one for some reason, pretty partisan and biased there. And if you're suggesting I thought a republican businessman would want immigration reform then you are mistaken because I never suggested that at all.

Either way my original post was just correcting the wrong information that Gentoo claimed, that a lot of people are moving into CA. So I'm not quite sure what the point of your post here was anyways.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:14 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Exactly! I am not rich by any means. However just two days ago I enjoyed a nice stroll down Harbor Drive and the gorgeous view of Downtown San Diego and the bay. Visited the USS Midway, sat out on a nice patio and enjoyed lunch on that 73 degree day. Before that, I spent a few ours at a lake nearby snapping pictures. When I get bored here, I take a flight into Oakland and enjoy much the same thing and then some. Sometimes I head up to the mountains and have lunch in a pine forest and look straight down at the desert 6000 feet below. Sometimes, I'll head down to the beach. I do most of all this between November and March where in most of the rest of the country the weather is uncooperative. I wouldn't trade my California lifestyle for all the money in the world:ok:
That's complete BS considering how you always talk about how much you want to move to Seattle and dislike San Diego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California