Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 12:04 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,505,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
The rentals referenced are in Oakland zip 94602
K, that definitely makes sense now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 12:15 PM

8,262 posts, read 18,485,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
The weather, the beauty, the mountains, the ocean, the varied ethnic restaurants, the beautiful towns, etc...
No kidding! Where else can you snow ski in the morning and surf in the afternoon?

Old 03-22-2011, 01:17 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,695,773 times
By "here" I was referring to Los Angeles/So. Cal. This part of the country used to be a real affordable place to rent and or buy a home when I moved here in the early 1980s. But the problem is that CA has become overcrowded with too many people wanting to live here. It seems everyone wants to be here because they are so obsessed with sunny weather and blue skies. There's much more to life than blue skies, sun and surfing. I am not trying to put down LA or CA but I was just saying there are other things to consider besides weather. Sunny weather doesn't pay your mortgage and bills. I can't really do anything about the high cost of rents here. It is just a part of living in So. Cal. What can you do?

Old 03-22-2011, 01:52 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,806,558 times
Ok..I pose this question....Would you rather live in sunny, vibrant, diverse Los Angeles or boring,Charlotte , NC...

Old 03-22-2011, 02:25 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,505,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Ok..I pose this question....Would you rather live in sunny, vibrant, diverse Los Angeles or boring,Charlotte , NC...
As 'aliveandwell' said. .Sunny weather doesn't pay the bills. When I get married, have a family, and kids.. The economic stability is the most important priority to me.. In life, priorities change... At that point, owning a home, and having money in the bank are more important than 12-14 hour work days
> Never get a chance to enjoy the outdoors M-F anyway
> Limited time w/ my children family
So yeah, at that point in life, a state != CA's taxes/cost of living becomes very appealing. B.T.W - I come from boring South Florida and I loved every minute of my childhood and the island food.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:24 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
By "here" I was referring to Los Angeles/So. Cal. This part of the country used to be a real affordable place to rent and or buy a home when I moved here in the early 1980s. But the problem is that CA has become overcrowded with too many people wanting to live here. It seems everyone wants to be here because they are so obsessed with sunny weather and blue skies. There's much more to life than blue skies, sun and surfing. I am not trying to put down LA or CA but I was just saying there are other things to consider besides weather. Sunny weather doesn't pay your mortgage and bills. I can't really do anything about the high cost of rents here. It is just a part of living in So. Cal. What can you do?
It really does vary enough that in a State as large as CA... some areas will have low vacancy rates and others high or much higher.

All about supply and demand.

I thought large areas of Southern CA have rent control?

Old 03-22-2011, 07:00 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,162,600 times
Where ever there is a lack of affordability for the middle class to purchase homes, there will be a corresponding lack of affordable rents.

When would be middle class home owners get edged out of the market they put a strain on rental competetion. Hence why the bay area has the highest rents in CA.

When you add in things like rent control and anti growth attitudes prices jump even more.

Compare Folsom, Ca to Dublin, CA.

Two cities with near identical median family incomes, yet the cost of housing is twice as much in Dublin as it does in Folosm. With rents corresponding.

When the middle class has more options they don't sour up the rental market for the traditional renting class.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:59 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,025,302 times
According to the cpi my rent increase will be 1.5% which is about $6.00 month. Last yr it was $5.00 Plus i pay $2.77 month for rent control (.50 cents in 1999). Since i moved here 12 yrs ago my rent has increased $79.00 monthly ($85.00 this summer). Sewer rates went from $14.00 month in 1999 to $36.00 now. Water has doubled as well as service charges. Trash should be going up again which has more then doubled since 99. If we werent under rent control im sure i would be paying much more rent. I dont mind a rent control fee but im against the paramedic fee.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:05 AM

95 posts, read 225,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
the problem is that CA has become overcrowded with too many people wanting to live here. It seems everyone wants to be here because they are so obsessed with sunny weather and blue skies.
You know that not everbody WANTS to come to Calif. Though I'm not sad about it, we for instance just don't have another choice since our comany is going to the LA area.

This is due to its important harbor facilities and all our products coming in from China. Their current distribution center is in Buffalo/NY which is pure nonsense. A big number of our customers are located on the West coast and as said logistics is a big part of that too. It just doesn't make any sense to truck containers across the country and then Fedex'em back to the West to our customers...

I personally am a bit crazy about guns in general and CA is probably the last place in the US where you want to go voluntarily if you want to build up a half-decent arsenal of sporting rifles.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:22 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,106,218 times
Unless you already make a lot of money or can refrain from unleashing wrath upon roommates, then it's time to get to stepping.

Unless you have some sort of weird obsession with the coastlines, all of CAs other features could be found elsewhere in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California