Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 11:01 PM

4,225 posts, read 3,313,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Google says there is everything but a Print and Office Ship Center (Kinko's). There seems to be a FedEx Express Ship Center and FedEx Freight.

Yeah, I know we have FedEx shipping stuff here, I need FedEx Office, totally different thing. I'm going back to LA tomorrow anyway, I"ll just wait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 09:53 PM

7 posts, read 16,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobotWizard View Post
So my wife and I are in our early 30s and from Minnesota. I have a good job offer in El Centro and I need some serious advice as this would be a big move. I know it's hot. I know there are earthquakes. I know the unemployment is high. I know it is predominantly Hispanic (I speak some Spanish). What else do I need to know? What is it like to live there? What's the culture/attitude of the area? I'd be most interested in hearing what others around our age would say.

My wife is a teacher and from what I've heard it's not a great time to be a teacher in California. However, she's getting a little burnt out and has been wanting to do something else anyway. I know some of the high unemployment in the Imperial Valley has to do with the seasonal nature of ag jobs. Will my wife have a really hard time finding a job or is the employment situation for skilled professional workers in better shape?

Okay, I work between San Diego and El Centro. When house prices were ludicrously high I bought a house in El Centro. I never lived there because my job took me to the coast in San Diego. The two hour commute from El Centro to San diego is exceedingly tiring and gets old very quickly. I know a few people who lived in San Diego who moved to El Centro because they could afford the houses there. Most of them moved back to San Diego after about five years. Some of the complaints were: cultural i.e it is a mostly hispanic place with the Spanish being spoken everywhere you go. But mostly the complaints had to do with the heat. It gets up to 110 degrees during the day for five months out of the year. That means that your children aren't going out during the day, neither are you. They stay home indoors. people become nocturnal during this time. Activities start at about 8 p.m. when the sun goes down, the temperature is still about 100 degrees. For the remaining half of the year the temperature is bearable, hell its excellent.
The other objection is the lack of activities for you and or your children. This one, I will leave up to you to decide how important it is to you. I know people who stayed home all the time who would have been happy to stay in El Centro if it weren't for the heat. Who are you going to be working for?

Old 09-29-2011, 10:52 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,421,525 times
Can hit Puerto Penasco without too, too much difficulty from there. Gotta check that out at least once. LOL!

Old 09-18-2015, 06:33 PM

2 posts, read 2,298 times
Did you end up going? My husband and I are in the same boat! I'd love to contact you!

Old 09-19-2015, 01:20 AM

15,130 posts, read 32,355,658 times
Zombie thread!

Old 09-21-2015, 01:41 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,421,525 times
RE: Puerto Penasco - since 2011 the place has continued to boom. It is unrecognizable vs 30 years ago, with high rise hotels along the beach. Of course, the down side is, some dude with an RV can't just drive down there and set up at will, at least not right by the actual point.

Old 09-21-2015, 02:19 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,668,602 times
I understand that Puerto Penasco has an international airport with scheduled flights. It's become the "Arizona Riviera" of sorts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California