Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 10:24 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xani View Post
Oh yes they do. They drive unlicensed and break rules, cause damage, expenses, including police funding. They don't have to pay a fine or have pay a small fine and back breaking the law again.
Really...they don't pay fines, break rules, cause damage? Where do you come up with stuff like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2016, 02:54 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,224,848 times
A large percentage of hit and run accidents are committed by illegals. Has been this way for a long time.....I worked in the insurance industry back in the 90s and same thing - it was endemic. We rarely were able to recover anything from these defendants either, if we even managed to identify them through investigations. They also were responsible for a truly obscene amount of insurance fraud (you can thank illegals for that anti-fraud fee you're paying every year, btw...thats where it came from).

Old 12-12-2016, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
A large percentage of hit and run accidents are committed by illegals. Has been this way for a long time.....I worked in the insurance industry back in the 90s and same thing - it was endemic. We rarely were able to recover anything from these defendants either, if we even managed to identify them through investigations. They also were responsible for a truly obscene amount of insurance fraud (you can thank illegals for that anti-fraud fee you're paying every year, btw...thats where it came from).
That's fascinating, especially considering that fewer than one in five hit and run drivers are ever caught..so please do tell, how did you know that "a large percentage were committed by illegals".

Old 12-12-2016, 03:56 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,608,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
That's fascinating, especially considering that fewer than one in five hit and run drivers are ever caught..so please do tell, how did you know that "a large percentage were committed by illegals".
It's not hard to figure out. From LAPD Detective Talks L.A.'s Hit-And-Run Crisis On '20/20': LAist

Quote:
Detective Felix Padilla of the Los Angeles Police Department's traffic division recently sat down with 20/20 to discuss what he's seen in over a decade of work on the force and the reasons behind the high rate of hit-and-runs in L.A.
Quote:
So why do so many people crash and flee? Padilla notes that one of the biggest reasons for hit-and-runs and the lack of witness participation is the high number of undocumented immigrants living in the city. People are driving without licenses, and their fear of interacting with police serves as motive to flee. A recent report from the University of Southern California's Center for the Study of Immigrant Integration says that an estimated one in 10 L.A. County residents is undocumented.
Looking specifically at fatal crashes, one in five involve an unlicensed driver. Of course an unlicensed drivers can include citizens and legal immigrants, but you have your head in the sand if you think people here illegally aren't a significant chunk of this. Report: Illegal Drivers Behind High Hit-And-Run Rate In LA « CBS Los Angeles

Quote:
“The AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety reports unlicensed drivers are five times more likely to kill, they will flee the scene over 50 percent of the time, five times more likely to drive drunk,” said Rosenberg.

In a whitepaper compiling statistics of hit-and-run accidents, Rosenberg found that unlicensed drivers were involved in more than 7,600 fatal crashes — about 20 percent of fatal crashes nationwide.

Old 12-12-2016, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
It's not hard to figure out. From LAPD Detective Talks L.A.'s Hit-And-Run Crisis On '20/20': LAist

Looking specifically at fatal crashes, one in five involve an unlicensed driver. Of course an unlicensed drivers can include citizens and legal immigrants, but you have your head in the sand if you think people here illegally aren't a significant chunk of this. Report: Illegal Drivers Behind High Hit-And-Run Rate In LA « CBS Los Angeles
I understand what his point is, but it's anecdotal evidence. What is a fact is that at least 50% of hit and runs involve unlicensed drivers, what is also true is that LA has a high hispanic and undocumented population, but in the real world A + B =/= C

I worked in law enforcement and my experience with hit and run drivers tended to be young to middle aged men and were frequently under the influence at the time of the event. There was a relatively large undocumented population in the city I worked in but did not see any strong correlation between their immigration status and the likelihood that they would be involved in a hit and run. But just like the Detective in the link you provided, my evidence is anecdotal and someone involved in accident investigation in another City or State might have a completely different experience.

It's true that 20% of fatal crashes involve an unlicensed driver, but that number also includes drivers who were licensed but had their licenses suspended or revoked. Once again, unlicensed =/= undocumented.

With that said, California now allows non-citizens to get a driver's license, so I think within a few years we will probably have better information to use in a discussion like this.

Old 12-12-2016, 05:52 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,455,557 times
I respectfully agree with phantompilot.

I've had too many conversations with various law enforcement, insurance investigators and others to downplay the effect of illegals on the hit-and-run stats.

When the whole issue of illegals getting drivers license was being discussed, one of the "selling points" was that it would cut down on the number of hit-and-runs because the drivers would no longer be afraid to stop.

Old 12-12-2016, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
I respectfully agree with phantompilot.

I've had too many conversations with various law enforcement, insurance investigators and others to downplay the effect of illegals on the hit-and-run stats.

When the whole issue of illegals getting drivers license was being discussed, one of the "selling points" was that it would cut down on the number of hit-and-runs because the drivers would no longer be afraid to stop.
Which is why I said that a discussion based on data, rather than anecdotal evidence will probably be available after a few years when we can measure hit and run stats in California with large numbers of undocumented people having AB60 licenses.

But, whether licensed or unlicensed, immigrant or citizen there is a very high correlation between hit and runs and DUI (drugs or alcohol) drivers.

Old 12-16-2016, 09:36 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
The registration fees they charge for old cars is kind of insane. I paid a lot of high registration fees for all age cars when lived in California my birth state.

I am glad here in Montana after a car reaches 11 years old, you can have permanent registration and never pay license and registration fees again. At our house we have a 99 Blazer, which still looks and runs like new which was bought new, and a 02 F-150 again like new and we never get a license or registration bill on either. Even our 2012 Explorer has very low fees compared to what you pay in California.

Old 12-23-2016, 02:59 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,023,427 times
Brown is raising the car registration next spring by $10.00 to pay for the CHP pensions. Plus every year after it will be raised based on the CPI. This is utter BS. I did write to my local congressman chad mayes about the registration increase & his office did not reply back. I am not surprised.

Last edited by steel7; 12-23-2016 at 03:51 PM..

Old 12-23-2016, 05:36 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
The registration fees they charge for old cars is kind of insane. I paid a lot of high registration fees for all age cars when lived in California my birth state.

I am glad here in Montana after a car reaches 11 years old, you can have permanent registration and never pay license and registration fees again. At our house we have a 99 Blazer, which still looks and runs like new which was bought new, and a 02 F-150 again like new and we never get a license or registration bill on either. Even our 2012 Explorer has very low fees compared to what you pay in California.
At one time I kept 25 vehicles licensed... they are still insured but only 4 licensed. As the cost went up the number I registered went down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California