Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 11:31 PM

251 posts, read 767,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
I spent six months in a college dorm and apartment in Los Angeles working, cooking, cleaning, using public transportation, partying, smoking pot, having crappy friends, etc.... I am done with what the world has to offer.

Besides I don't care either way right now about Macy's or any other retailer. They will come when they want to come. Nothing I say on this board or anywhere else will change that.

I'm going to Cal Poly SLO to major in Sociology and then into drug and alcohol counselling. That's about it.
if you feel you can handle the commute, then you should go for it.

i read some advice about the military and i can tell you that the military is not for everyone. with the military doing major budget cuts, it's becoming more difficult to join.

either way, best of luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 09:01 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,686,006 times
I do not recommend the military to many people, I told my own son I would shoot him in the foot if he tried to join, he does not take direction well.

I recommend to young men who feel they need to do something manly to become a man, that they should work for Calstar or the Forest Service as a wildland firefighter, the work is tougher than the military, the food is better, and no one is supposed to get killed.

I know "The City" well enough, that I feel he needs the experience, the discipline, and the chance to get out into the world (a college dorm doesn't count).

I suggested the Air Force because it is the least military of the services, most people are essentially clerks or mechanics, few airforce people get shot at. The Navy is good because you get to travel and the technical fields are good training for the civilian world, and again there are few Navy men getting shot at.

Although it is true that nothing focuses the mind more than getting shot at, I don't recommend that as a job choice.

"The City" would gain immeasurably from military service.

There is a widespread syndrome in America today, we can call it the Peter Pan syndrome. It is adult males who never became men. They never passed through that experience crucible that turned them from boys to men, they are essentially old boys.

That crucible for most American men of my generation was the military, there isn't much now that replaces it. Wildland Fire Fighting, Mountain climbing, river running, sailing the open ocean, not as paying clients but as participants can do it, but you must bring your own self discipline. The military can reveal a persons buried self discipline.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:08 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,017,645 times
I recommend the navy for its wider variety of career skills....cowboy, indian, construction worker, etc...

YouTube - ‪In the Navy‬‏

Old 07-25-2011, 03:08 PM

70 posts, read 132,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Well, people who don't pull high salaries often commute from Santa Maria to jobs in Goleta and sometimes even SB proper. Let's say you would not be alone on the 101.
Bingo!

Old 11-23-2011, 08:30 PM

30 posts, read 154,039 times
My mother did that commute from 1969 to 1972. She stayed in a motel in Goleta the night before exams.

You're considering Cal Poly. If you're going to be studying engineering, I would recommend going there, anyway.

But I think if you get accepted to Cal Poly, then why torture yourself? That's a short commute.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:22 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,044,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
The only books I read are Christian based.

And no interest in the military. I've been out in the world before.

Also, I heard Sear's in SLO could be closing and Macy's could go in. I'm also hopeful for a second Macy's in Atascadero or the only Macy's in Atascadero.

It's not the fact I like department stores, it's the fact I like nice things in general. Food from Trader Joes and other organic places, cars from Toyota and Honda, clothes from the nicest place, nice two story large homes in subdivisions, and then other nice products from the cheapest place I can get them.

I'm hoping and praying that Macy's will build a small department store next to Wal-Mart Supercenter or in Colony Square. Macy's these days will adapt to any demographic environment. It's just giving them a sweat deal to get here.
...Hmmmm... You might have to read some non-religious books at UCSB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California