Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2011, 06:40 AM

4 posts, read 6,041 times

Advertisements

[color=black]I received two acceptances for my doctoral degree, one in Seattle and one in San Francisco...

1- Seattle Pacific University

PhD in Education Technology

[color=black]]Page not found - Seattle Pacific University

2- University of San Francisco

Ed.D. in Organization and Leadership

]University of San Francisco (USF)

What do you recommend... which major is better?,, which city is more fun?,, which university is better and easy to study in?

I've lived in Seattle for a year... then I moved to Chicago for my Masters and now I am going back the west coast that I love

I visited SF for 3 days long time ago and I like it too but 3 days not enough to make a decision. Is SF safe like Chicago ? I find Chicago loop area very safe

I love to walk, so I am not going to use a car and I’ll live close to the university or in the downtown area.. I have a scholarship so I’ll be worried only about my daily expenses plus the Apt rent.

BTW, I am a girl

Please help me I have to decide these days..

Last edited by ray2002; 06-19-2011 at 07:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 02:41 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
Well I'm automatically prejudiced because I just saw my cousin get her D.Ed. from USF but your questions are confusing. Why would you go to an internet forum to find out "Which is the best major"? What do you want to do? Also "easiest" is not necessarily "best". SF is at least as safe as Chicago but I think you need to decide what you want to DO with your degree and work backward.

Old 06-19-2011, 04:04 PM

I know it might sound crazy to look at it this way.

You are absolutely right, but sometimes you find yourself lost and don’t know what you want to do or where to work later. That’s what brought me to an internet forum which might sound stupid

I am trying to at least focus on what I have now and make a right decision, and not waste this chance. Hoping that by time I will know what I want to do...

Does this make any sense?!

Thank you for your comment

Old 06-19-2011, 04:32 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,852,200 times
Collecting data and listening to other people's perspectives and opinions is o.k. but the sooner you realize that no one knows what's right for you but you, the better.
And there is no objective "best" or "right" regarding cities or majors (or anything) .... there's what is best and right for you.
Find your "inner compass".

Old 06-19-2011, 06:20 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
The two cities are very similar with the main difference being climate, and SF having more of an urban feel. Both schools are great, I know people that have gone to them and did very well in their careers. Having lived in both places, I would probably suggest SF for you, based on locations within the cities they are in. SPU is in a more industrial area, away from downtown, while USF is near Golden Gate Park and in a more urban area that would probably result in a more enjoyable and educational experience. Also, in this economy the major at USF seems more likely to result in work, as the skills will help companies to become more effective at managing effectively with less people. Education is suffering greatly, our local district in a fairly affluent area is laying off teachers and other school staff, and for the second year laying off administrative staff at the district offices.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:45 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
USF is a wonderful business school with deep connections to both the traditional Financial District businesses as well as Silicon Valley. Strong alumni network. Very global student population and outlook.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:08 PM

217 posts, read 561,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
SPU is in a more industrial area
HU? [SIZE=4]Images for seattle Pacific university pictures[/SIZE]
you would have to go up the canal a bit to find industrial.

SPU is on the northside of Queen Anne hill close to the Fremont neighborhood, "the center of the universe".
[SIZE=4]Images for Seattle Fremont pictures[/SIZE]

Old 06-23-2011, 09:09 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godhead View Post
HU? [SIZE=4]Images for seattle Pacific university pictures[/SIZE]
you would have to go up the canal a bit to find industrial.

SPU is on the northside of Queen Anne hill close to the Fremont neighborhood, "the center of the universe".
[SIZE=4]Images for Seattle Fremont pictures[/SIZE]
That's Seattle University on Capital Hill. SPU is off Nickerson, ner Fishermen's Terminal and the railroad yards. The campus is beautiful but there's not much near it.
Attached Thumbnails
Please help me USF vs SPU? (San Francisco or Seattle)-spumap.jpg  

Old 06-24-2011, 04:16 PM

217 posts, read 561,830 times
When did Seattle University ever enter this conversation?
I don't understand what you are trying to say.

Those railroad yards are in interbay, seperating Queen Anne Hill and Magnolia.
Same with the Fisherman's Terminal, passed Ballard Bridge.

Last edited by godhead; 06-24-2011 at 05:17 PM..

Old 06-26-2011, 06:33 PM

jaijai,
I guess you are right... thanks

bisjoe,
Thank you for the information and suggestion... the major in USF is under school of education too.. the other thing that I am worried about is the Degree name PhD and EdD and if this might affect my future career

BayAreaHillbilly,
Good to know that... thank you

godhead
Thanks for passing by
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California