Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 01:44 AM

92 posts, read 225,658 times

Advertisements

I have to attend a wedding in Yosemite and am trying to figure out the best way to get to the necessary spot to minimize the mountain road driving. I don't like the roads that go around curves where you can see down the mountain's steep slope. I will not be the one actually driving but that makes no difference in my anxiety. I am coming from the Los Angeles area.

I will be going to Yosemite Village, shuttle stop 6 if anyone is that familiar with the area. It is about 60 miles from the South entrance, or 10 miles from the Arch Rock entrance. The drive from Arch Rock looks to be a more straight shot, less winding mountain, but I can't tell for sure from the satelite photo.

The two entrances are 60 miles apart but again, the Arch Rock way looks like less actual mountain driving than within the park, so will probably take a lot less time. The map estimates of the drive either way are about the same, (hour and 1/2) but I'm sure that isn't taking into account the traffic in the park. I was told to allow 4 hours from the the South entrance to the park to the location to account for traffic, road maintenance or whatever.

To summarize:

Using the South entrance means driving 60 miles through the park and possibly a lot more winding roads and steep views. Arch Rock entrance is 60 miles further, but then only 10 miles of park driving, possibly a straighter drive.

How is the drive between entrances? More highway or winding mountain?

Which route would be the more comfortable drive? Which would be faster?

I really appreciate any insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 06:13 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,480,961 times
I think you are in a "no win" situation. There is no escaping steep slopes and S curves no matter what entrance you use at Yosemite. The way I see it, you have two choices since you arent the driver.
1-Dont go.
2-Valium
Good luck and you may want to avoid Hwy 1 between San Luis Obispo and Monterey too!

Old 06-29-2011, 08:29 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,680,939 times
All routes into Yosemite are wonderfully scenic, please do not allow your fears to override your joy in seeing that magnificent country. Remember, "Better living through Chemistry".

If you want to see what the Arch Rock Road looks like between Mariposa and El Portal Watch this video (take some dramamine first), YouTube - ‪Drive Into Yosemite: Highway 140 from Mariposa to Bridalveil Fall‬‏ The road is moderately terrifying to the flatlander.

To see Highway 41 into (actually, out of, but you get the picture) Yosemite watch this; YouTube - ‪California Highway 41 Southbound: Yosemite to Fresno Drivelapse‬‏

Now my favorite road into Yosemite is Tioga Pass, I remember as a small child, when the road was still gravel, my father with us kids in the car came upon a stopped car with Michigan plates. My father got out to find the driver frozen with fear. Since he could not pass the guy, he pealed his hands off the wheel, got him to move over, drove him to Lee Vining, then hitch hiked back up to us.

On 140 you can see the bottom of the canyon or river where you will land if you screw up. On 41 the slope is hidden by timber. The south road in from Fresno, 41 is the recommended route.

Sitting in traffic on overcrowded roads in mid summer is part of the Yosemite experience. Just be happy you have AC.

And finally, take drugs, be happy.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:30 AM

92 posts, read 225,658 times
Wow, thank you so much, those videos and explanations were exactly what I needed. I knew I couldn't avoid the mountain roads entirely, was just trying to minimize the torture (for me and my husband-the driver).

I was incredibly helpful to know that the drop offs are hidden by trees on route 41. I don't mind winding roads (don't get carsick), just the sight of the edge of the cliffs. So covered by tall trees is fine (they would break our fall if we went over the side-that is what I can tell myself).

Oh, and the Ativan was a given.

Thanks again.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:34 AM

2,190 posts, read 6,850,184 times
The scary driving for you is in the high country.
If you're freaked out by winding roads and steep drop offs, stay down in the valley.
I hope you relax enough so that you can enjoy entering into Yosemite and the entire visit as well.
It's an incredible place.

Last edited by jaijai; 06-29-2011 at 12:51 PM..

Old 06-29-2011, 11:41 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,190,547 times
the drive in from the south isn't too bad. it's definitely curvy, but it's not like the drive up to big bear where you're on the side of a mountain with sheer cliffs just feet away.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boystuition View Post
Wow, thank you so much, those videos and explanations were exactly what I needed. I knew I couldn't avoid the mountain roads entirely, was just trying to minimize the torture (for me and my husband-the driver).

I was incredibly helpful to know that the drop offs are hidden by trees on route 41. I don't mind winding roads (don't get carsick), just the sight of the edge of the cliffs. So covered by tall trees is fine (they would break our fall if we went over the side-that is what I can tell myself).

Oh, and the Ativan was a given.

Thanks again.
You are welcome. Yosemite is one of the finest corners of the world. If you get 200 feet off a road or a trail you will have it to yourself. While you are there, I recommend that you hike at least to the bridge below Vernal Fall. It is very dramatic this year. If you have the time and energy a hike to the top of Nevada Fall is world class. I don't recommend the Mist Trail, I think this year it will be the Deluge Trail.

Take the horse trail up from the bridge below Vernal Fall.

If you do one hike in Yosemite, that is the one to do.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:00 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,545,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
On 140 you can see the bottom of the canyon or river where you will land if you screw up. On 41 the slope is hidden by timber. The south road in from Fresno, 41 is the recommended route.
The ironic thing is Hwy 140 is the better "all weather" road for the vast majority of its length. You can travel faster and its less crooked than Hwy 41. There is short stretch from Midpines to the Merced River (Briceburg grade) that has a steep dropoff and then of course the stretch from El Portal to about the Hwy 120 junction. There is a short rock wall along the road almost the entire stretch from El Portal to Yosemite Valley so you would really have to try hard to get your car launched over the cliff. I worked in Yosemite while in college and I despised Hwy 41.

Still, if cliffs freak you out .highnlite gave you the best advice.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:16 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,347,531 times
Never let something as simple as a road stop you from doing what you want and enjoying life, if you drive off a cliff it was meant to happen.

Last edited by Roaddog; 06-29-2011 at 05:39 PM..

Old 06-29-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Never let something as simple as a road stop you from doing what you want and enjoying life, if you drive off a cliff it was meant to happen.
Very islamic of you, inshallah
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California