Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2011, 07:36 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Man, you are a piece of work. Are you always this aggressive in pigeonholing other posters' priorities?

Please explain to me what "drama" you found in either of my posts. What I objected to, is your distorted reading of my initial post which was pretty innocuous. In one fell swoop, you told me I didn't seem to care about anything except taxes and scenery.

You said:
"Yeah, but sounds like the scenery and affordability are your only priorities and that the rest, including things like the local culture, amenities, religious, social & political values, etc. are either unimportant, or you just assume they're pretty much the same everywhere (which of course, they're not)!

For example, both TX and the Carolinas both have some very scenic and affordable areas, but when I think of the local "culture" and "values", you couldn't pay me enough to live there!"

A polite person would have asked me how I felt about those things and whether I weighed them, instead of ASSUMING they didn't enter into my decision making.

I chose to focus on taxes, housing, and scenery because I didn't want to make sweeping generalizations about any state when it comes to the subjects you raised. The fact is, while Texas might be more conservative as a whole, Austin, Texas is going to be more liberal than Orange County, California. As I stated, it's going to come down to what town/city you're looking at.

Just because a person addresses a couple of things doesn't give you a reason to make assumptions about the rest of their priorities. My post was long enough without getting into every thought I have on the subject.

But you seem to have no problem with making sweeping statements. For instance, you put up a link to the Southern Poverty Law Center with a list of hate crimes reported in North Carolina. And that was supposed to be your evidence on why a person would want to avoid living there.

And yet, you ignored the list of hate crimes for California, which has the highest number in the entire nation.

CALIFORNIA: Hate Incidents | Southern Poverty Law Center

North Carolina had 66 hate crimes listed, and most of them were intimidation incidents. There was not one murder.

California had 482 hate crimes listed, and they aren't kidding around there. There are several murders listed, as well as the stuff of nightmares ... bashing someone's skull in, stabbings, killing goats and putting them on church property ... gang assaults, Aryan Nation, skin heads, Neo-Nazis, etc ... and yes, the KKK. Californians seem to be more creative in expressing hate.

And yet you want to bring up the KKK and the Confederate flag as reasons to avoid North Carolina? In light of the report that you so graciously linked to, I don't think you can point a finger at NC with a straight face, considering what goes down in CA.

And by the way, it's not like you see the Confederate flag plastered everywhere in NC. It's generally a few backwoods types who display it.

You also don't seem to know much about North Carolina or Asheville. NC is not a red state or a blue state when it comes to elections. It's considered a purple state because it is a swing state. Most of the governors of NC have been Democrats. Obama won in North Carolina.

I myself am a Libertarian, but I like that NC isn't dominated by either major party.

And now Asheville. You didn't provide any information on what is supposed to be wrong with Asheville, except the one listing of the 15-year-old idiot who assaulted gays.

Let me enlighten you. Such an incident is almost unheard of considering that Asheville is KNOWN for it's large lesbian and gay population. Asheville is a quirky small city filled with artists, artisans, musicians, writers, hippies, and about 250 independent farm-to-table restaurants, organic produce galore, as well as national forests, mountains, the Blue Ridge Parkway, etc ... Matter of fact, when Robert Redford made a movie there, he loved the place. So do other celebrities.

But you wouldn't know that because to you, NC is full of confederate flags, the KKK, and issues with religion, gender and race. And yet, there is that pesky list of hate crimes for CA that makes NC hate crimes look like child's play.

Just overlook the fact that NC has the Research Triangle Park, some decent schools and thriving cities. Oh, and their state government is doing pretty good with fiscal matters in spite of the economy. The taxpayers won't be saddled with endless debt.

ALL of these things have influenced my interest in moving there. I would have been happy to elaborate more if you had been nice enough to ask in the first place, instead of accusing me of nonsense.

And lastly, I do not "hang out" on the California forum. That's just another of your sweeping statements. I was scrolling down all the forums and saw this discussion. I started reading it because I lived in Texas for 17 years.

I really hope that you and your aggressive attitude are not representative of the majority of Californians.

Funny thing is, he will most likely post a very short reply, completely ignoring your post or completely dismissing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 07:53 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,168,216 times
Texas will not be California which is ok because I have love for both states, California will have its scenery and so will Texas not to mention culture there is something about the southern hospitality you can't find anywhere else heck New Orleans is right next door. Have Mardi Gras on my mind.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:54 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,686,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Perhaps you didn't understand the satiric tone in my post. You should read it again. It was merely a post to point out the flaws in that ridiculous post. I said Mexican, not Hispanic.
Satire does not carry well in print. Mexican not Hispanic? Parsing?

Old 08-14-2011, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Satire does not carry well in print. Mexican not Hispanic? Parsing?
I copied his post and made some stereotypical claims about California as he did for Texas. I figured it would be fairly prevalent, guess not. Yes, I meant specifically Mexicans. Not other nationalities.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:57 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,458,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Man, you are a piece of work. Are you always this aggressive in pigeonholing other posters' priorities?

Please explain to me what "drama" you found in either of my posts. What I objected to, is your distorted reading of my initial post which was pretty innocuous. In one fell swoop, you told me I didn't seem to care about anything except taxes and scenery.

You said:
"Yeah, but sounds like the scenery and affordability are your only priorities and that the rest, including things like the local culture, amenities, religious, social & political values, etc. are either unimportant, or you just assume they're pretty much the same everywhere (which of course, they're not)!

For example, both TX and the Carolinas both have some very scenic and affordable areas, but when I think of the local "culture" and "values", you couldn't pay me enough to live there!"

A polite person would have asked me how I felt about those things and whether I weighed them, instead of ASSUMING they didn't enter into my decision making.

I chose to focus on taxes, housing, and scenery because I didn't want to make sweeping generalizations about any state when it comes to the subjects you raised. The fact is, while Texas might be more conservative as a whole, Austin, Texas is going to be more liberal than Orange County, California. As I stated, it's going to come down to what town/city you're looking at.

Just because a person addresses a couple of things doesn't give you a reason to make assumptions about the rest of their priorities. My post was long enough without getting into every thought I have on the subject.

But you seem to have no problem with making sweeping statements. For instance, you put up a link to the Southern Poverty Law Center with a list of hate crimes reported in North Carolina. And that was supposed to be your evidence on why a person would want to avoid living there.

And yet, you ignored the list of hate crimes for California, which has the highest number in the entire nation.

CALIFORNIA: Hate Incidents | Southern Poverty Law Center

North Carolina had 66 hate crimes listed, and most of them were intimidation incidents. There was not one murder.

California had 482 hate crimes listed, and they aren't kidding around there. There are several murders listed, as well as the stuff of nightmares ... bashing someone's skull in, stabbings, killing goats and putting them on church property ... gang assaults, Aryan Nation, skin heads, Neo-Nazis, etc ... and yes, the KKK. Californians seem to be more creative in expressing hate.

And yet you want to bring up the KKK and the Confederate flag as reasons to avoid North Carolina? In light of the report that you so graciously linked to, I don't think you can point a finger at NC with a straight face, considering what goes down in CA.

And by the way, it's not like you see the Confederate flag plastered everywhere in NC. It's generally a few backwoods types who display it.

You also don't seem to know much about North Carolina or Asheville. NC is not a red state or a blue state when it comes to elections. It's considered a purple state because it is a swing state. Most of the governors of NC have been Democrats. Obama won in North Carolina.

I myself am a Libertarian, but I like that NC isn't dominated by either major party.

And now Asheville. You didn't provide any information on what is supposed to be wrong with Asheville, except the one listing of the 15-year-old idiot who assaulted gays.

Let me enlighten you. Such an incident is almost unheard of considering that Asheville is KNOWN for it's large lesbian and gay population. Asheville is a quirky small city filled with artists, artisans, musicians, writers, hippies, and about 250 independent farm-to-table restaurants, organic produce galore, as well as national forests, mountains, the Blue Ridge Parkway, etc ... Matter of fact, when Robert Redford made a movie there, he loved the place. So do other celebrities.

But you wouldn't know that because to you, NC is full of confederate flags, the KKK, and issues with religion, gender and race. And yet, there is that pesky list of hate crimes for CA that makes NC hate crimes look like child's play.

Just overlook the fact that NC has the Research Triangle Park, some decent schools and thriving cities. Oh, and their state government is doing pretty good with fiscal matters in spite of the economy. The taxpayers won't be saddled with endless debt.

ALL of these things have influenced my interest in moving there. I would have been happy to elaborate more if you had been nice enough to ask in the first place, instead of accusing me of nonsense.

And lastly, I do not "hang out" on the California forum. That's just another of your sweeping statements. I was scrolling down all the forums and saw this discussion. I started reading it because I lived in Texas for 17 years.

I really hope that you and your aggressive attitude are not representative of the majority of Californians.

Quote:
Funny thing is, he will most likely post a very short reply, completely ignoring your post or completely dismissing it.

Well, out here we're a lot less "long-winded", and since we don't have to carry around those Texass-sized chips on our shoulders, we don't need two people to defend ourselves (...LOL)!

BTW, all invented in Cali: Android, Google, E-Trade, Facebook, LucasFilm & ILM, SpaceShipOne, Twitter, Tesla Motors, the Mac, ITunes, IPhone, etc., etc.. So what are some great examples of this "TX technology and innovation" that we keep hearing about.... besides oil wells, cheap outposts of Silicon Valley and deep-fried armadillo?!

Last edited by mateo45; 08-14-2011 at 09:18 AM.. Reason: spell..

Old 08-14-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Well, out here we're a lot less "long-winded", and since we don't have to carry around those Texass-sized chips on our shoulders, we don't need two people to defend ourselves (...LOL)!

BTW, all invented in Cali: Android, Google, E-Trade, Facebook, LucasFilm & ILM, SpaceShipOne, Twitter, Tesla Motors, the Mac, ITunes, Iphone, etc., etc.. So what are some great examples of this "TX technology and innovation" that we keep hearing about.... besides oil wells, cheap outposts of Silicon Valley and deep-fried armadillo?!
I'm not even a Texan, I just hate to see this non sense plastered about both states. Most of that wasn't invented, just established or created. I don't know any exact specifications about the tech industry here in TX. Do you guys think the Research Triangle in North Carolina is a cheap outpost of tech as well? I mean why does TX have to be a cheap outpost of Silicon Valley, why can't it just be a smaller form of it? Do we really have to stoop down to the level of kindergartners?!

Old 08-14-2011, 09:44 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times
Quote:
I mean why does TX have to be a cheap outpost of Silicon Valley, why can't it just be a smaller form of it? Do we really have to stoop down to the level of kindergartners?!
Umm......its not a question of "why can't it be", its a question of what really is the case...

For tech, Texas is largely a "cheap outpost" where companies will outsource certain non-research based operations. The reason why Texas is so behind California (and some other states as well) in terms of tech innovative has a few reasons. Firstly, it lacks an open intellectual environment and this extends into entrepreneurship which usually requires "non-standard" thinking. Secondly, its social model (low taxes, low services) leaves a lot of people behind, in particular its public university system is poor and too small. Universities are the incubators for start-ups and Texas is seriously lacking in the university department.... UT Austin is the only good research university in Texas and it is not surprisingly the source of the few innovations that come out of Texas.

Anyhow, you want people to believe that "Texas and California are different but they are both good" and for some old reason think anybody that disagrees with this notion is "stoop down to kindergartners level".

Old 08-14-2011, 09:52 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,410,530 times
Annie let it go. You can't talk any reason with three of the biggest trolls on the California board.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Zhugie doesn't know what the weather in Temecula is like, which is why he could not respond. He could not admit that though, so he made some stuff up. Heck, as we all know, weather in California no matter the weather, beats anything east of the 100th meridian.
This is why I typically ignore you. You don't know where I'm from or the places I've visited and I don't need to boast about it. But hey, in your world assumptions and stereotypes pass for critical thinking, so why should posts like these surprise me?

I'll leave it at that since you never bring anything worthwhile into a discussion and you're an insufferable bore.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
No, not at all. It isn't double-speak in the least. I live in Temecula now. I lived in TX for 6 years. Temecula has hot weather relative to the coastal parts of CA, but not relative to TX. Don't go by pure temps. I'd be in PT formation at 6:30 AM and already be drenching wet from the heat AND high humidity. I'll take Temecula heat any day over TX. We have just over 30 days of 100+ temps. The rest of the summer is certainly not San Diego, but not bad either.

And then here's the kicker. TX can get downright cold in the winter. It might get cold at night where I live, but TX can have freezing rain all the way down to the border. Once again, don't go by the average temps. They mislead. It will be warm most of the time and then get real cold real fast.

I was led to believe Temecula was this giant furnace before I moved there. I was ridiculed for moving to TemecuHell. It hasn't been anywhere near as bad as people think. It's much better than TX; as hard as that may be to swallow. In fact, TX has summers very much like South Florida. Hot and humid. I have relatives from South FL housesitting right now. They think the weather is great compared to where they live.

Now, if I didn't live in Temecula and only went by its reputation, I would probably think exactly what you do. If all I did was drive up to the wineries in August from San Diego, I'd think it was unbearable. If I lived in both Temecula and TX, which I have, I'd know better.
Yeah and? I lived in both places too, both in central and south TX, and I spent a good deal of time along that stretch from Temecula to Lake Elsinore, and it bakes plenty, it reminded all too much of a TX summer.

Honestly, other than wintertime and humidity, there's hardly any difference between the two areas. That's why User_Id is full of crap, not that this is anything new from him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California