Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 06:05 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,292,295 times

Advertisements

What's with all of the California bashing?

I've lived in several states all over the country and I personally think a lot of those places suck, quite frankly. That is, afterall, why I continue to live in California. I'm sure this is true of many Californians who've lived in other states as well.

But I don't see a lot Californians going out of their way constantly telling other people that those places suck ... even though they probably could if they wanted to with ample justification.

If you've moved or are in the process of moving ... and it was such a great choice then... you should be happy. But if you constantly feel the need to tell the rest of us that we're idiots and not similarly enlightened then I suspect you're really not happy with your choice begin with ... and maybe, just maybe ... you actually miss California.

The more people bash California, the more I think they actually wish they could live here or still lived here. Because if you are really happy with your choice then ... why would you even care what goes on here?

Old 09-06-2007, 07:30 AM

5 posts, read 46,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
What's with all of the California bashing?

I've lived in several states all over the country and I personally think a lot of those places suck, quite frankly. That is, afterall, why I continue to live in California. I'm sure this is true of many Californians who've lived in other states as well.

But I don't see a lot Californians going out of their way constantly telling other people that those places suck ... even though they probably could if they wanted to with ample justification.

If you've moved or are in the process of moving ... and it was such a great choice then... you should be happy. But if you constantly feel the need to tell the rest of us that we're idiots and not similarly enlightened then I suspect you're really not happy with your choice begin with ... and maybe, just maybe ... you actually miss California.

The more people bash California, the more I think they actually wish they could live here or still lived here. Because if you are really happy with your choice then ... why would you even care what goes on here?
Right on, Sheri!

Old 09-06-2007, 08:27 AM

89 posts, read 499,445 times
I'll tell you, we moved to the midwest because my husband was laid off during the massive lay-offs from aerospace in the 90s.

I miss California. But when I go back, I am disappointed. It has changed. My old stomping grounds from when I was a kid are either gone, or too dangerous to hang out in anymore.

And the traffic is amazing. I used to drive up 101 from Southern California to San Francisco, and then years later to Oregon. The traffic was doable, and there'd be miles I'd nearly have the road to myself in some areas.

Last time I did that, couple of years ago, I took I-5 up and 101 down, both were crowded nearly the entire length of the state.

But I miss California, and if I could go back to the California of 15 - 20 years ago, and afford to live, I'd go.

But today some of the things that were important to me are just changed. And the cost of living is through the roof out there. When we moved to the midwest, we were living here on less than our housepayment in California had been. Today costs have skyrocketed out there, but here, they've only gone up a bit.

Here I can afford to buy a decent house and pay it off. There, if I sold this house and put it all down on a decent house in Calif, it wouldn't be enough.

From the perspective of someone who absolutely loved California and grieved when she left, I still miss it. I have to choose living here over living there because there's no way I could possibly afford to live there again. And if I found a way to do it, I don't know that I would. I've gotten kind of used to the cows in the fields and the quiet. I'm getting used to going "downtown" and a traffic jam in my town is when 3 cars get to the same intersection at the same time. We have no traffic lights in this town, people are just polite.

I would not bash California. I love California. It is my home state. But I will say that I am disappointed in what has happened there. I don't expect it to be like a small town in the midwest. Wouldn't even want it to be. But I do miss the way it was years ago.

Janet

Old 09-06-2007, 09:26 AM

413 posts, read 1,845,396 times
Great article! My wife and I have many people here telling us not to move to L.A. I wont even begin to say the things they say about California...and they've never even been there!!! They think Cali is going to fall off into the ocean at any minute and that everyone is gay. I wont go into any more detail, it's just typical narrow minded midwest gossip.
Oh, they also think that Californians all worship Satan too. Yeah, it sucks here. I've been to 48 states and Cali was my fave by far. Cant wait to move...looking like IF we move now

Old 09-06-2007, 09:36 AM

2,197 posts, read 7,390,708 times
I, too, love CA. But the past 5-7 years have not been kind. In many ways, I think the beach communities have suffered the most, and the change is irreversible.

Quiet, low-key Marina Del Rey has become Miami Del Rey, filled with sprawling high rise after high rise and strip mall. They're still building them, anywhere they can scrounge a scrap of land. Quaint, artsy Venice has become Stucco Box Row. Every time a For Sale sign goes up, neighbors cringe, because everybody knows somebody will tear down another beach cottage and build a boring big box McMansion that crowds the lot. Playa Vista has turned the wetlands into dozens upon dozens of never-ending condo buildings. And all this has put some half a million additional cars on roads incapable of handling them. And added half a million additional people's noise and discontent to a situation that isn't making anybody very happy.

If you're wealthy and want to live high density, amidst constant noise, with your own kind, the beach communities will still appeal. If you're looking for peaceful beach living, those days are sadly gone.

I'm not bashing CA at all, but I do wish we could stop destroying it and preserve whatever beauty and charm it has left.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakehorror View Post
Great article! My wife and I have many people here telling us not to move to L.A. I wont even begin to say the things they say about California...and they've never even been there!!! They think Cali is going to fall off into the ocean at any minute and that everyone is gay. I wont go into any more detail, it's just typical narrow minded midwest gossip.
Oh, they also think that Californians all worship Satan too. Yeah, it sucks here. I've been to 48 states and Cali was my fave by far. Cant wait to move...looking like IF we move now
Yeah ... that's another interesting phenomenon ... people bashing California who've never even visited here.

Since you mentioned Satan worshipping ... when I was a journalist in San Francisco, I actually did a story on the founder of the Church of Satan, Anton LeVey ... and visited his house with his daughter, which was painted black but, falling apart ... the house was actually condemned.

So much for Satan worship ... too bad ... I would have really liked to have seen it.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:44 AM

331 posts, read 1,310,887 times
I am a native Californian, live in the SF Bay Area, and after 45 years, I am leaving this State, not because it is beautiful, not because there are so many places to go and things to do within a short distance from where I live, but because I can no longer afford to live here. I make a fairly decent living but in California, its not enough. I barely get by each month, can no longer even put money into my savings, am constantly behind on bills. I have 2 teenagers and am a single mom. This summer I did not run my a/c once, saved $150 a month over last summer and my pg&e bills are still ridiculously high. Taxes are high, insurance is high, everything...well I could go on and on more than I already have. So thats my take on this beautiful state. Wish I could stay but knowing I can move back east, buy a house for cash and have money left over, that will give me peace of mind and more security for my family.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:53 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
It's just like the people who jump in and bash a city when they don't live there, the same people have to put something down to make themselves feel better about their pathetic lives, i find it childish.

Old 09-06-2007, 10:08 AM

You know ... this is the other thing I don't understand.

If you moved or are in the process of moving ... and are able to pay cash for a house out of state then, I'm assuming it's because you were able to cash out your California equity at a very nice price since that's what a lot of people have done.

Well ... in that case, California has still been very good for you ... has it not?

People complain about this place being overrun with development, traffic this and that ... California is going to hell, etc.

But I've also lived in those quiet places with no traffic, no development, etc.

No people, no traffic, no development = no money either.

In the end, living in California was probably better for you than not because how else could you pay cash for a house elsewhere, unless you were a millionaire to begin with?

So why bemoan a state that gave you such great benefits to begin with? I just don't get it.

Last edited by sheri257; 09-06-2007 at 10:20 AM..

Old 09-06-2007, 10:34 AM

2,197 posts, read 7,390,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
You know ... this is the other thing I don't understand.

If you moved or are in the process of moving ... and are able to pay cash for a house out of state then, I'm assuming it's because you were able to cash out your California equity at a very nice price since that's what a lot of people have done.

Well ... in that case, California has still been very good for you ... has is not?

People complain about this place being overrun with development, traffic this and that ... California is going to hell, etc.

But I've also lived in those quiet places with no traffic, no development, etc.

No people, no traffic, no development = no money either.

In the end, living in California was probably better for you than not because how else could you pay cash for a house elsewhere, unless you were a millionaire to begin with?

So why bemoan a state that gave you such great benefits to begin with? I just don't get it.

There's more to life than money. Of course, not everybody feels that way. Apparently, some people are more fond of traffic, noise and overdevelopment than others. Some people embrace greed. To each his own-- you are well-blessed here, so enjoy!

Expressing a viewpoint isn't complaining... or bemoaning. This is, after all, a public forum where people are encouraged to present diverse opinions. Not everybody's viewpoint will coincide neatly with yours. Every difference of opinion isn't an argument... or a debate... or a perceived bashing. It's just an opinion... and you don't have to "get it," if it isn't yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California