Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 01:18 AM

4,254 posts, read 5,606,632 times

Advertisements

Fresno is the drunkest city in America according to a study conducted by Men's Health magazine.

"In fact, Fresno was near the top in every measure of dangerous drinking, including the body count caused by booze-fueled car crashes (Fatality Analysis Reporting System), the number of arrests made for driving under the influence (FBI), the number of people who admit to binge drinking in the last month (CDC), and the severity of DUI penalties (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)."

But it doesn't stop with Fresno. California boasts a full 25% of the top 20 drunkest cities in America!

Riverside staggers in at #4, Bakersfield ponies up at #10, Modesto stumbles over at #12, and Sacramento slurs a respectable #20.

If I had to live in Fresno .... well, nevermind.

Last edited by WesternPilgrim; 05-04-2012 at 02:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 05:36 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,151,872 times
Yep Catholics tend to drink heavy....(At least the ones I know, it is a big part of their culture)...

I find it interesting the heavy drinking is confined to "conservative" areas for the most part...

Why do "right leaning" areas need to drink so heavy...???

Putting it all in perspective on a national scale California is not too bad at all... Guess it must be all those people packed in the desirable "liberal" areas of the state. Balancing out the drunk minority...

Here is the national state by state statistic to put it in perspective:
Map Of U.S. States Ranked By Drunkest | Happy Place

Old 05-04-2012, 08:27 AM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
I'll drink to that! I'm part Indian and a sprinklin of Irish so I like to drink but I can't hold my liquor.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:33 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
Elementary! 'Cause they're surrounded by left-leaning masses. More than enough to drive one to drink, even a moderate, decline to state.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:21 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Conservatives have to drink their misery away. Most of them are just bitter people so booze it is. As far as the Catholic thing is concerned; they celebrate alcohol as it's mentioned in the bible that Jesus turned water into wine. Some of the heaviest drinking cultures around the world are traditionally Catholic such as Ireland.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
Yep Catholics tend to drink heavy....(At least the ones I know, it is a big part of their culture)...

I find it interesting the heavy drinking is confined to "conservative" areas for the most part...

Apart from Sacramento, the cities on the list are not particularly known for being Catholic. Lots of American cities have stronger Catholic populations - Milwaukee, Boston, Chicago, Pittsburgh, etc. - but they didn't make the top 20. LaCrosse Wisconsin is VERY Catholic and has more bars per capita than any city in America, but it didn't make the top 20 drunkest cities list either. Go figure.

Conservative areas? That's undeniable. But they're conservative areas in California, which means that they are overtaxed, overregulated, underpaid, unemployed, and going out of business. Being in California, their votes don't count and there's nothing they can do about it. They can't even afford to leave. Pour me another round.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Conservatives have to drink their misery away. Most of them are just bitter people so booze it is. As far as the Catholic thing is concerned; they celebrate alcohol as it's mentioned in the bible that Jesus turned water into wine. Some of the heaviest drinking cultures around the world are traditionally Catholic such as Ireland.
Ireland is the only traditionally Catholic culture where alcohol abuse is prominent. Centuries of persecution by the English probably has something to do with it. American Catholicism is culturally Irish. The rest of the European Catholics are moderate drinkers. Latin American drunkenness is rarely found among Catholics who practice their faith.

Protestant countries, like the U.S., don't understand alcohol and moderation. It's all binging or teetotaling. European children used to grow up with wine in moderation at the dinner table. American young people can't drink legally at all, and when they do, they get drunk and carry the habit into adulthood.

Last edited by WesternPilgrim; 05-04-2012 at 11:42 AM..

Old 05-04-2012, 10:43 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,562,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
But it doesn't stop with Fresno. California boasts a full 25% of the top 20 drunkest cities in America!

Riverside staggers in at #4, Bakersfield ponies up at #10, Modesto stumbles over at #12, and Sacramento slurs a respectable #20.

If I had to live in Fresno .... well, nevermind.
LOL a bunch of right wing nut job **** holes you would never want to visit anyway. Does anybody actually want to live other?

next

Old 05-04-2012, 11:02 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,898,467 times
Quote:
Apart from Sacramento, the cities on the list are not particularly known for being Catholic. Lots of American cities have stronger Catholic populations - Milwaukee, Boston, Chicago, Pittsburgh, etc. - but they didn't make the top 20. LaCrosse Wisconsin is VERY Catholic and has more bars per capita than any city in America, but it didn't make the top 20 drunkest cities list either. Go figure.

Conservative areas? That's undeniable. But they're conservative areas in California, which means that they are overtaxed, overregulated, underpaid, unemployed, and going out of business. Being in California, their votes don't count and there's nothing they can do about it. They can't even afford to leave. Pour me another round.
Note, however, that Wisconsin places as number one in the worst binge drinking states as shown in the sub-link to the cities list.

Yes, pour conservatives (pun intended) ... cry me a river Whiners.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:05 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Ireland is the only traditionally Catholic culture where alcohol abuse is prominent. Centuries of persecution by the English probably has something to do with it. American Catholicism is culturally Irish. The rest of the European Catholics are moderate drinkers. Latin American drunkenness is rarely found among Catholics who practice their faith.

Protestant counties, like the U.S., don't understand alcohol and moderation. It's all binging or teetotaling. European children used to grow up with wine in moderation at the dinner table. American young people can't drink legally at all, and when they do, they get drunk and carry the habit into adulthood.
Mexicans drink a lot. French people drink wine with every meal. Isn't Protestant America where they prohibited alcohol at one time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California