Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 09:55 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,606,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Im not Catholic so I really cant answer that, although clearly they have a stricter standard for sainthood then being a believer. Not sure where it came from....
In Catholic theology there are two uses of the word "saint".

One meaning is "a person set apart for God" - a Christian.

The more commonly used meaning is "holy one", which refers to one who is completely without sin, namely the saints in heaven. Most of the saints in heaven are unknown, perhaps your Aunt Martha. But a few of them are known, because the Church tells us with infallible certainty that such-and-such person achieved a degree of sanctity on earth that assures his beatitude. This is determined by an ecclesiastical investigation into the person's life, validated by two miracles. A "devil's advocate" is appointed whose job it is to argue against the person's character, and to find any evidence that might prevent his canonization.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
In Catholic theology there are two uses of the word "saint".

One meaning is "a person set apart for God" - a Christian.

The more commonly used meaning is "holy one", which refers to one who is completely without sin, namely the saints in heaven. Most of the saints in heaven are unknown, perhaps your Aunt Martha. But a few of them are known, because the Church tells us with infallible certainty that such-and-such person achieved a degree of sanctity on earth that assures his beatitude. This is determined by an ecclesiastical investigation into the person's life, validated by two miracles. A "devil's advocate" is appointed whose job it is to argue against the person's character, and to find any evidence that might prevent his canonization.
I guess there is a third, non-technical usage that is also common: "a really holy person", perhaps not completely without sin, but one who exhibits supernatural virtue in some respects.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
For me, it's as Fontucky noted - there have been a lot of these threads lately, all started by the same member. That kind of thing starts to get old, no matter what the subject matter.
I scrolled back 300 posts, and could find only five California topics, started by myself, with a religious component.

Let's see, 5 out of 300 is 1.7%.

1.7% of the last 300 posts had a religious angle.

I wonder what the percentage is for, say, economics? Politics? Geography? Development? Relocating? Much higher than religion, I'm sure. And I don't see anyone complaining.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:43 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,547,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
I scrolled back 300 posts, and could find only five California topics, started by myself, with a religious component.

Let's see, 5 out of 300 is 1.7%.

1.7% of the last 300 posts had a religious angle.

I wonder what the percentage is for, say, economics? Politics? Geography? Development? Relocating? Much higher than religion, I'm sure. And I don't see anyone complaining.
Because they're in the correct sub-forum for their topics. Yours often aren't.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/religion-philosophy/

Old 03-08-2012, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
Because they're in the correct sub-forum for their topics. Yours often aren't.
No, they're in the California forum.

There's no reason - apart from sheer irrational bigotry - why religion alone should be exiled and shut off from the rest of life. I don't believe that C-D's various sub-forums are meant to be mutually exclusive. We have a political sub-forum, but politics shows up here all the time. We have a city-vs. city sub-forum, but city- v. city discussions happen here all the time. We have a rural life sub-forum, but rural issues show up here all the time. Etc.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:52 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
I certainly think that there are saintly humans on the planet but i don't give the Catholic church any power (zero, zip, nada, none) to decide / tell me who they are! Absolutely not.
^^This^^. I'll go a step further and say I don't trust any institution, religious or secular, in this regard. Too many hidden agendas are involved when people are put up on a pedestal.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:59 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,151,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
^^This^^. I'll go a step further and say I don't trust any institution, religious or secular, in this regard. Too many hidden agendas are involved when people are put up on a pedestal.
agreed..

Old 03-08-2012, 07:29 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,119,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post

I dont subscribe to generalizations of groups of people, which you clearly are. Eyes wide open yes, buy cynical sweeping observations are too shallow.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:15 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times
Quote:
Is there any thing in the bible to support this?

Old 03-08-2012, 09:49 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Now the nuns are getting into the act!

Irish nun to face 87 charges of sexual abuse against young school girls | Irish News | IrishCentral
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California