Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 10:32 PM

4 posts, read 26,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
I know everything is relative to individual preference but wonder what the consensus is on the climates of California.

If you look at the state population it seems most people prefer to live near the coastline where the weather is the mildest in California; rarely hot and never really cold. Inland it is both too hot in the summer and can be chilly on winter nights. The desert areas, especially from Palm Springs to El Centro are the sunniest and warmest all year long but unbearably hot for about 6 months straight.

So what's the opinion about where the best weather can be found in California?
Best California weather can be found within 100 miles south of San Francisco and no further than 50 miles from the coast. The closer to the coast, the better. Bring your very fat checkbook however. Rents for apartments begin at about $1,500 mo. There is plenty of well paid employment. Santa Cruz, my hometown is ideal, as is Watsonville and any of the hill towns on Hwy 17 to San Jose. Los Gatos is beautiful, moderate climate, very low humidity, and outrageously expensive. Make that prohibitively expensive. I live in La Paz, Mexico now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 11:59 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,152,138 times
I've lived five places in CA, all within 100 miles of each other but all very different in climate. Morgan Hill, where I grew up, could get stinking (literally) hot in the summer but was breathtakingly beautiful in the autumn. The mixture of warm air and a cool breeze was delectable and addictive. We also had dustings of snow a few times.

Milpitas is nice year-round, with a moderate amount of rain. The only big downside is the smell, because it's downwind from the county dump at Zanker & 237 and also the Alviso slough, which traps a lot of pollution. So the weather is good, but I don't like the climate.

South San Francisco is the city with no seasons. It's almost always overcast, windy, and dreary. You learn to truly prize every cloudless day.

The Sunset district of San Francisco had the same overcast thing going, but it was also much, much colder. In fact, I absolutely froze my ass off there, to the point that I wanted to get out as fast as possible.

Now I live in Redwood City, the town which has an arch over Broadway proclaiming "Climate Best by Government Test." As in, in the world. I haven't been here very long - but if the few weeks I've spent here are any indication, I believe it. It has been heaven on earth - warm, sunny, and calm during the day, then crisp and cool at night and in the morning without freezing my balls off.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:18 AM

3 posts, read 23,341 times
Default San Diego, America's Finest City

When talking about weather, San Diego, California has the best overall climate in the US. This thread addresses weather, not home prices, let's keep on topic.

Yes, home prices are a little higher in San Diego, but those looking for the perfect climate, San Diego is the place to be. The housing market as of June 15, 2008, is pretty good, there are a lot of great deals to be found, this is a once in a life time opportunity to get an $800,000 home for $500,000 or less.

However, San Diego is not that big and the local residents are taking exception to the increase in population.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:51 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,194,951 times
Weather in coastal southern CA (from Santa Barbara all the way down to the border) is so similar, I don't know how anyone can really declare one place better than another.

Old 06-17-2008, 12:36 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Default Oakland CA

According to a survey published in Parade Magazine...

Oakland California has the best climate in the United States for 2 months every year... no other U.S. location claimed more than 1 month.

The survey was based on number of days where either heating or cooling is required...

Old 06-17-2008, 12:56 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,609,698 times
I also have lived all over California. I grew-up in the Central Valley [Fresno & Chico] & knew that by May flip-flops replaced shoes & swimming was an every day activity [I think my brothers/sisters & I lived in swimming pools . I went to college in the Bay Area & really liked the mild weather but probably could not live in San Francisco due to the chilliness in summer]. The Central coast is fantastic [warmer in winter than the rest of Northern California but mild in summer depending on how far away the ocean is].

But I guess I always knew I'd live in SoCal & must say it is definitely the best climate IMO. I live far enough inland to have warm/hot summers but close enough to the coastline [15 miles away] for cool summer nights. Winters are fantastic w/ really mild days [65-75] & cool nights [45-55]; can't beat it anywhere in the U.S.

Old 08-16-2008, 12:57 AM

37 posts, read 122,513 times
I lived in Santa Barbara for 4 years and San Diego for 4 years now. I like the climate of San Diego much more. It's perfect. San Diego is much milder in the winter (doesn't get as cold)... and in the summer it stays warmer at night. We went up to Santa Barbara last weekend and it get's kinda chilly at night.

You pretty much don't need a jacket in San Diego from June through September.

Old 08-16-2008, 02:22 AM

936 posts, read 3,190,782 times
it isnt so much that san diego has the best climate in the USA, its actually more of the fact that it has the best OVERALL climate in the USA and as an added bonus, it is coupled with some of the warmest and prettiest beaches in california along with some of the nicest beach communities in the world. san diego also has more sunnier days and less precipitation each year then anywhere else along the CA coast.

just wanted to establish clarity and distinction

Old 03-25-2009, 03:55 PM

1 posts, read 16,539 times
As a CA native who has resided in Southern and Northern Ca, I'd say northern CA ( the bay area) has the best climate of all. We actually experience all 4 seasons here which are quite lovely.
Southern CA is dry and at times humid. Not to mention the fire season which totally pollutes the air.

Old 03-25-2009, 07:12 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,469,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
san diego also has more sunnier days and less precipitation each year then anywhere else along the CA coast.

just wanted to establish clarity and distinction
Actually San Diego has slightly FEWER sunny days than other areas of the southern California coast. It gets slight less than 70% of possible annual sunshine. Locations north of San Diego up to Morro Bay receive between 70 and 80%.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California